Worst offseason move...as of now. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Worst offseason move...as of now.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue May 31, 2005 7:35 am

nsulham wrote:To be fair (and God I HATE to do this since it's a Yankee), Wright has been on the shelf for a little while so it's hard to say what he would have or wouldn't have done.

The fact that he's on the shelf and has a history of arm injuries, yet they signed him to the contract they did, is what makes it a bad signing. I agree it is tough to judge what he's done - but the simple fact that they signed an injury-prone pitcher to that contract makes it a bad deal. However, as they have an "out" should he stay injured, it isn't the worst, IMHO.

The worst to me is Milton - no one I know liked that deal for that pitcher in that ballpark.

Mags is also pretty bad - 5 years at $75M and their only out is if his knee is hurt again this year. No other team offered more than 1 year, yet the Tigers bid against themselves.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby jayman » Tue May 31, 2005 8:53 am

Rance Mulliniks wrote:What about Beltre? Cashed in on one great year. Still some hope he'll turn it around and earn that contract.

I agree. The others mentioned were shaky to begin with. With Beltre the general thought was he finally broke out and became the player everyone that he would become. Not. If he doesn't pick it up I think it's time for an Ax - some one's head has to roll.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue May 31, 2005 9:00 am

beltre and maggs would be the top 2 on my list right now.... both got the huge money and have done absolutely nothing so far....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rkiivs » Tue May 31, 2005 9:07 am

I throw the Mark Mulder trade into the ring.

A's are getting zip from that one.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby bdrotoronto » Tue May 31, 2005 9:24 am

Tigers signing Maggs has to be at the top. He has done literally zero, and they're committed to four more expensive years with this guy.
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dans » Tue May 31, 2005 9:27 am

Not the worst but one that hasn't been mentioned is the Percival signing. There's a reason no one else was willing to give him big $$$. He was a huge risk coming into the season.
Dans
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby AT » Tue May 31, 2005 10:30 am

There have been plenty of bombs from the offseason but none worse than Jaret Wright. For a team with so much money that most players would love to play for (I think :-o ) the Yanks could've gotten any number of guys who were still available when they loaded the boat on J Wright. Now they don't even need him on the roster since healthy Wang has looked so good. What a disaster.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigMusky » Tue May 31, 2005 10:40 am

Nomar has been on a great two year run. I think he has to win because the Cubs made the same mistake TWICE!
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:44 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:There have been plenty of bombs from the offseason but none worse than Jaret Wright. For a team with so much money that most players would love to play for (I think :-o ) the Yanks could've gotten any number of guys who were still available when they loaded the boat on J Wright. Now they don't even need him on the roster since healthy Wang has looked so good. What a disaster.

I don't have any sympathy for a deal gone bad for the Yankees. Everyone else on this planet knew it was stupid giving J.Wright that kind of $$ after only the one good year in Atl. But the Yankees, being greedy as they are, decided to gamble and got burned for it. George thinks he can buy a W.S. ring instead of earning it. I can't wait to see who they throw insane cash at this offseason for a one-year wonder or a has been. I can see B.Boone in pinstripes already and getting booed 2 weeks later. It's going to be so much fun watching them struggle again next year!! :-D
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby davidmarver » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:51 am

I think the difference between giving the award to the Milton signing over the Ortiz signing is that Milton has better raw skills. His homerun totals can be lowered if he keeps the ball low in the zone. Ortiz, though, has walked over 100 in back-to-back seasons. You cannot give that much money to a pitcher with those sort of control problems; those are the things that stick with a pitcher for a long time.

I'd also like to state that I don't think the Wright signing was worse than the RJ deal for the Yankees. They acquired another pitcher (albeit one of the best) who is way, way, way past his prime and is on his last leg, for two pitchers, who right now, are out performing Johnson and I don't think it's even close. Not only that, but they also lost one of their top catching prospects to go along with it. I understand it may help them in the short run, though Johnson does have a lot of ?'s, but it is a terrible deal in the bigger picture. I give it :-t :-t .
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers