Weaver Signed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Weaver Signed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Oat Soda » Tue May 31, 2005 5:06 am

davidmarver wrote:
Oat Soda wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Agreed. Jeff's good outings are what Jared's average outings are.

That's an overstatement if there ever was one. Have you even seen him pitch?

Yes I have. Saw Long Beach State pitch a few times (saw Weaver twice). He looks way taller than Jeff; can't teach physical attributes. Was at the first few games ever in Petco where Weaver's teammate Ramos? shut out SDSU in some tournament.

I have Jeff Weaver on a fantasy team and if you can't tell, I'm quite disappointed. Cut me some slack :-D

Sorry, that sounded stand-offish. His K-BB ratio was absolutely incredible at Long Beach, so I know he's good. But I've heard his fastball is weak velocity-wise (mid-80s maybe?) and his offspeed stuff is flat. I don't know. All I know is he looked ordinary in the postseason at best last year.
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Oat Soda » Tue May 31, 2005 5:06 am

davidmarver wrote:
Oat Soda wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Agreed. Jeff's good outings are what Jared's average outings are.

That's an overstatement if there ever was one. Have you even seen him pitch?

Yes I have. Saw Long Beach State pitch a few times (saw Weaver twice). He looks way taller than Jeff; can't teach physical attributes. Was at the first few games ever in Petco where Weaver's teammate Ramos? shut out SDSU in some tournament.

I have Jeff Weaver on a fantasy team and if you can't tell, I'm quite disappointed. Cut me some slack :-D

Sorry, that sounded stand-offish. His K-BB ratio was absolutely incredible at Long Beach, so I know he's good. But I've heard his fastball is weak velocity-wise (mid-80s maybe?) and his offspeed stuff is flat. I don't know. All I know is he looked ordinary in the postseason at best last year.
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nikku88 » Tue May 31, 2005 6:03 am

I heard he is close to MLB ready, but doesn't probably will never been a #1 starter. More of a solid 2 or 3.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue May 31, 2005 7:27 am

Finally nice to see a couple teams stand up to Boras. Angels don't seem to have budged from their offer of a few months ago. Same for the DBacks. It'll be curious to see how this affects negotiations with Boras clients this year - maybe they'll actually sign in time to play a little.

I'll also be curious to see how Weaver does in the minors. As of last year, he was allegedly close to being major league ready, but with a ceiling of a #3 starter. Wonder how much the year off will hurt.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby jayman » Tue May 31, 2005 8:54 am

So, when is he available on Yahoo?

kidding. kidding.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jayman » Tue May 31, 2005 8:58 am

OMG This KID's numbers are SICK :-P
Now seriously, how majors ready is he? This season?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/ ... &cset=true
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue May 31, 2005 9:11 am

did anyone really believe he'd risk going back into the draft and sliding down lower and being forced to sign for less?
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby drpiranha » Tue May 31, 2005 5:31 pm

"But I've heard his fastball is weak velocity-wise (mid-80s maybe?) and his offspeed stuff is flat. I don't know. All I know is he looked ordinary in the postseason at best"

He doesn't have a Rich Harden fastball, but he gets it up there at 92-93mph. He has a lot of movement on his pitches, similar to Scot Shields, and has pinpoint control. He also threw 144 innings and a lot of pitches for a college season. The Angels, even if they signed him last year, did not want him to pitch in the minors, because of all the innings he has already thrown.
Of course, they would have prefered him to be signed in time for spring training.
The only question now is how long it takes him to get up to speed. I imagine they will start him in the Ariz. Instruction League for a week or so to see where he is and then start him at high A, with the hopes of moving him to AA mid-July.
drpiranha
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Tue May 31, 2005 5:57 pm

I think Jered works in the 86-88 range. Comparisons to Prior are unfair as Prior, even when he is not on can throw in the 90-93 range. Prior also has a better curve.

Weaver also has ADD according to BA. It will be interesting to see how the college numbers translate to the MLB. I think he will definitely hit a few bumps on the road, unlike Prior before the injuries started to plague him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby baseball6791 » Tue May 31, 2005 6:18 pm

i watched weaver pitch last year at the CWS at stanford, and i sat behind the plate in the same section as the scouts. they were all clocking him consistently in the low 90's, and all of them seemed very impressed with his stuff and with his command for a pitcher that young.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers