does a reliever with high whip hurt you - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

does a reliever with high whip hurt you

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

does a reliever with high whip hurt you

Postby jerrycantrell » Mon May 30, 2005 7:26 pm

since relievers only picth maybe a total of 80 some odd innings does a whip of 1.30 or 1.40 from a reliever hurt you. my league counts holds. seems lots of guys with lots of holds on the wire have high whips but 9 or so holds. also, i have arthur roads. lately his whip has been 2.00+ is this really hurting me since he only pitches a few innings.
jerrycantrell
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby so0perspam » Mon May 30, 2005 8:07 pm

There are plenty of low WHIP guys that get holds ... Madson, Timlin, Tavarez, Eyre, Linebrink, Reitsma, Sturtze, etc. You shouldn't pick up a holder with a WHIP any higher than 1.20.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon May 30, 2005 8:12 pm

when their whips are high it's very likely that era will skyrocket as well. i'd avoid those rps.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon May 30, 2005 8:52 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:when their whips are high it's very likely that era will skyrocket as well. i'd avoid those rps.

Agree - high ratios generally lead to higher ERAs.

The answer to your question is "it depends" - as it depends on your team. Obviously, a MR with low ERA and ratio help more than one with a ratio of 1.5. But if you're sitting there with Pedro and Willis and other low ratio starters, you can afford the hit while collecting the holds.

Also, if you'll gain more standing points in holds than you could potentially lose in ERA and ratio, then yes, a high ratio reliever can help you.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby stevethumb » Mon May 30, 2005 8:55 pm

this is very simplistic but if you had a staff that had 1000 IP w/a whip of 1.30 IF you added another pitcher who had 80 IP w/a whip of 1.625 then your adjusted whip would be 1.324..if that pitcher has apoor ERA but gives you 3 or 4 wins and a save and some k's then it is probably a wash
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Mon May 30, 2005 8:57 pm

Yes they hurt, not as much as a starter of course. But if you are running two MR with a 1.4 WHIP the effect is very similar to a starter with the same. If those types of MR is that is available then its somewhat of a toss-up in roto. Chances are the points you will lose in WHIP will be less than those you will lose by not being competitve in Holds.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby stevethumb » Mon May 30, 2005 9:07 pm

here is a question that i would guess few fantasy players know....what is your league average for whip and era..if it is a deep 13 team NL onlyleague then the average will be around 1.35 and era around 4.11...if your middle reliever in question is going to give you #s higher than those w/o giving you holds or wins or ks (or whatever cats yu use) then he is hurting you
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby swyck » Tue May 31, 2005 12:22 pm

stevethumb wrote:here is a question that i would guess few fantasy players know....what is your league average for whip and era..

For Yahoo how can we find out what those averages are, other then to run the stats ourselves? Not too difficult to figure out for Roto, but H2h is a bit more work, unless its available somewhere I haven't looked yet. It would be nice to have that information.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Return to Baseball Leftovers