Another H. Reynolds analysis of fantasy baseball. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Another H. Reynolds analysis of fantasy baseball.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby gws226 » Mon May 30, 2005 7:00 pm

so0perspam wrote:
gws226 wrote:I don't agree with keeping K.rog, but if you can get decent value for any of those other players now I'd agree & move them.

Wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong. You can jibber jabber about your conceptual idea of selling high on Rogers, but as a Rogers owner, you seriously have no idea. I've put him out there on the market in many of my leagues, and you know what? Best offer I got was Jason Lane. Mench and Sizemore are on the WW right now too in those leagues.

Mercer Boy wrote:Although, I still kind of like Clement. He could be pretty good this year I think, so I would keep him (but once again, I'm a rookie at this, so I may have no idea :-)).

True, he's alright, but way too overhyped right now. A pitcher with a 1.32 WHIP has sell written all over him. Only reason he's 6-0 is because in his 11 starts, the BoSox have averaged 6 runs. So basically, if his ERA was 5.53 right now, he'd most likely still be 6-0. :-o

Begin Jibber Jabba.......

Well your a poor salesman, or the other fantasy owners think they are smarter then you....... and as a rogers owner, if thats all I can get then I'd hold him too. as a non-rogers owner, I wouldn't trade for him right now either......

End Jibber Jabba.........
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby so0perspam » Mon May 30, 2005 7:02 pm

Well just think, if another owner came to you offering Kenny Rogers, what would you offer? }:-)
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby gws226 » Mon May 30, 2005 7:11 pm

so0perspam wrote:Well just think, if another owner came to you offering Kenny Rogers, what would you offer? }:-)

a fake mustache and comb ;-D

But if k.Rog did have any value....... now would the time that it would be its highest.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Tue May 31, 2005 7:44 am

so0perspam wrote:Well just think, if another owner came to you offering Kenny Rogers, what would you offer? }:-)

The guy is 41. And not many guys that aren't name Randy Johnson and Roger Clemens are known for being good that late in thier careers. K.Rogers is having a great season so far. But a lot of people will shy away from players that old or seem to come out of nowhere and post great stats. I wonder how many leagues Garland went undrafted in. Or possibly even Adam Eaton, Bedard, Harang. You could go on and on. Those are guys you pick up off of waivers, pat yourself on the back for having the smarts and guts to ride a relatively worthless guy. The K.Rogers, L.Hernandez's of this world are always underrated. But they are great filler guys after the elite pitchers are gone. I don't even try and trade Livan who I've drafted for the last 4 years. The guy puts up great numbers every year on a crappy team but there's no way I'd get good value from him. Same with Rogers. Keep him because you'll never get the value you deserve.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Box » Tue May 31, 2005 8:42 am

Harold Reynolds' fantasy baseball "analysis" makes baby Jesus cry.

That was probably some of the worst advice Ive ever seen on ESPN. I can only hope the idiots in my league were watching it too and want to sell me Chavez and Schilling for peanuts. Not those fancy peanuts either.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby d18Mike » Tue May 31, 2005 8:48 am

For what it's worth on Beltre ...MLB's director of statistics said on the Fantasy 411 program Friday that he does not believe that Beltre will bounce back with any vigor this year.

Yet another opinion on Beltre.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Andy1234 » Tue May 31, 2005 8:51 am

Box wrote:Harold Reynolds' fantasy baseball "analysis" makes baby Jesus cry.

That was probably some of the worst advice Ive ever seen on ESPN. I can only hope the idiots in my league were watching it too and want to sell me Chavez and Schilling for peanuts. Not those fancy peanuts either.
Or better yet, someone will look to aquire Rogers or Clement from you at an inflated price.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby rs2k2 » Tue May 31, 2005 9:00 am

yeah i'm looking to:

trade joey gathright ever since he got demoted, he hasnt been producing... batting .000 with 0 HR and 0 SB with the devil rays...now would be the best time to trade him...

and keep A-Rod, i expect his production to stay the same...giving him 65 HR and 170 RBI this year

should i become a fantasy baseball analyst too?
rs2k2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby quicksilver8 » Tue May 31, 2005 10:08 am

In a league with smart managers, it will be tough to get a really solid player in return for Kenny Rogers because they all know that The Gambler will eventually return to being an average starter. At the beginning of the year, if someone offered you Lane for Rogers, wouldn't you have jumped on it?

As for Beltre, he may not have the trade value he did at the beginning of the year, but I bet there are still plenty of dorks betting on Beltre returning to form. Just look at a Beltre thread posted on this very board a month ago...there were plenty of Wonks still gushing about Beltre.
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcmahojl » Tue May 31, 2005 10:21 am

First of all: He also claimed that he is in the ESPN fantasy league...if he is, he's probably dead last.

That is not true Mercer Boy. He didnt claim that he was in an ESPN fantasy league. He just mentioned the league and how they dont include the playoffs.

Secondly,

Box wrote:Harold Reynolds' fantasy baseball "analysis" makes baby Jesus cry.

are you kidding? Please, I hope you, whoever I just quoted, responds to this. Why was this the "worst advice you have ever heard"? chavez is a 3B. As rich of a position as that is, you would take up a spot on your roster to hold a 3b that is hitting .200? Even if he somehow got on his game tomorrow, how many RBI's will you get if no one else gets on base? And how many runs will you score if you and Kielty are the only guys hitting the ball? And how many fastballs will he see when the rest of that lineup is as terrible as it is?

And Schilling? I would be waiting for someone to propose me a trade to rid him from my roster. the guy has pitched terribly earlier this season, and now he is trying some type of boot to reduce the range of his ankle when he pushes off and alter his mechanics and....???? Is this what you want to thin about when you have your pitcher starting? There is nothing but doubt in the minds of the red sox right now about his ability. And even if he does come back, he hasnt pitched for 2 months! He is going to have to go through his spring training in July. Why not pick up a healthy young guy that has potential on a good team? I would take Chris Young over Schilling right now.

Just think about (1) risk-reward and (2) name brands are not the key to success in this game.
"I live for this game. If baseballs went well with eggs, Id eat them for breakfast..."
mcmahojl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers