What to do with someone who is ruining a money league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What to do with someone who is ruining a money league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Kavorka » Tue May 31, 2005 1:56 pm

So when you hornswaggled this other owner in trading you GA for Walker did the fantasy police come to your house and arrest you for theft?
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davus » Tue May 31, 2005 1:58 pm

The Kavorka wrote:So when you hornswaggled this other owner in trading you GA for Walker did the fantasy police come to your house and arrest you for theft?

No, I didn't notice you come over to my house. Maybe I wasn't home?
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue May 31, 2005 2:01 pm

davus wrote:
Dawgpound 1613 wrote:
BigMusky wrote:I am still waiting for Rohan to show up and tell us his side of the story...must not be that active of a member.

I'm starting to think that Rowand is Rohan.

And I agree with southbronx - to have me believe that you could have had better options on the WW and that you'd rather hurt your team (by trading for a lesser OF than could have been had off the WW) to another team to help him out seems incredulous, at best.

However, if you were truly being philanthropic and would hurt your team to help another vs simply helping your team, then I simply can't understand why owners like Rohan would have objected to this trade.

Part of a winning strategy includes avoiding moves that help teams that have a shot at taking you down. As I've already said, at the time of the deal, Walker was on fire. I looked for a team at the bottom of the rankings that I didn't feel was a threat to me if I traded him some saves. He needed saves badly, so I offered him Walker for his 4th OF.

I wasn't doing it to help his team, I was doing it to help mine and at the same time not give somebody closer to me in the standings a free Walker who could have gone on to convert 10 more saves in a row for all I knew. If that doesn't make sense to you, I don't know what else I can say...

I've played fantasy for 14 years - I think I understand the concept of trading to help your team while not helping your competitors. However, if you think you are helping your team by acquiring a player who helps less than another player off the WW would, then you don't understand the concept of "helping" your team. You help your team by getting the best player possible. As southbronx said, it's not like you've dropped the pathetic GA for any one of the players you named.

Maybe the fact that not a single person who has commented on this trade in this thread thinks it was a fair trade would somehow clue you in that maybe this guy had a reason to be annoyed. Should he have used profane language? No. Should he have gone through the established veto process? Yes. Should he let it go? At this point, yes, as there's nothing to be gained from constant complaining. But based on how much you've attempted to defend this trade, I can start to see why he felt the way he did.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby davus » Tue May 31, 2005 2:02 pm

LOL.

Anderson is ranked right below Shawn Green on the Cafe's pre-season positional rankings. Man, he sure is a stud. ;-D
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davus » Tue May 31, 2005 2:08 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:
davus wrote:
Dawgpound 1613 wrote:
BigMusky wrote:I am still waiting for Rohan to show up and tell us his side of the story...must not be that active of a member.

I'm starting to think that Rowand is Rohan.

And I agree with southbronx - to have me believe that you could have had better options on the WW and that you'd rather hurt your team (by trading for a lesser OF than could have been had off the WW) to another team to help him out seems incredulous, at best.

However, if you were truly being philanthropic and would hurt your team to help another vs simply helping your team, then I simply can't understand why owners like Rohan would have objected to this trade.

Part of a winning strategy includes avoiding moves that help teams that have a shot at taking you down. As I've already said, at the time of the deal, Walker was on fire. I looked for a team at the bottom of the rankings that I didn't feel was a threat to me if I traded him some saves. He needed saves badly, so I offered him Walker for his 4th OF.

I wasn't doing it to help his team, I was doing it to help mine and at the same time not give somebody closer to me in the standings a free Walker who could have gone on to convert 10 more saves in a row for all I knew. If that doesn't make sense to you, I don't know what else I can say...

I've played fantasy for 14 years - I think I understand the concept of trading to help your team while not helping your competitors. However, if you think you are helping your team by acquiring a player who helps less than another player off the WW would, then you don't understand the concept of "helping" your team. You help your team by getting the best player possible. As southbronx said, it's not like you've dropped the pathetic GA for any one of the players you named.

Maybe the fact that not a single person who has commented on this trade in this thread thinks it was a fair trade would somehow clue you in that maybe this guy had a reason to be annoyed. Should he have used profane language? No. Should he have gone through the established veto process? Yes. Should he let it go? At this point, yes, as there's nothing to be gained from constant complaining. But based on how much you've attempted to defend this trade, I can start to see why he felt the way he did.

Time to work on that reading comprehension, bro. Seems like you aren't very informed about the situation even though it is all here for you.

Actually, most of the people who commented on it in the trade forum before Walker had his three poor games said it made sense for both teams. Of course when people start attacking me I'm going to defend my actions.

I understand just fine how to help my team, and letting one of my "real" competitors pick up a closer and gain points on me in that category would hurt me more than a marginally more valuable player on the wire.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Tue May 31, 2005 2:10 pm

You know what, I don't know this other owner from Adam, but I think he has you pegged pretty well. You're an arrogant jerk who put one over another owner, all your excuses notwithstanding. The guy is wrong for the way he complained, but his complaint was valid. Your trade was a bs one, and you just don't like his complaining. You can make all the excuses you want. but nobody is buying that you traded with the knowledge and the plan that your team was going to become weaker.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davus » Tue May 31, 2005 2:14 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:You know what, I don't know this other owner from Adam, but I think he has you pegged pretty well. You're an arrogant jerk who put one over another owner, all your excuses notwithstanding. The guy is wrong for the way he complained, but his complaint was valid. Your trade was a bs one, and you just don't like his complaining. You can make all the excuses you want. but nobody is buying that you traded with the knowledge and the plan that your team was going to become weaker.

???

Hello? Did you just get hit in the head with a blunt object or something? :-?

P.S. You are the one who came into this thread and started attacking me based on what happened in the days after a trade was accepted. You should look in the mirror for that arrogant jerk, cause he'll be staring right back at you. ;-D
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Irish » Tue May 31, 2005 2:17 pm

davus wrote:LOL.

Anderson is ranked right below Shawn Green on the Cafe's pre-season positional rankings. Man, he sure is a stud. ;-D

That's only because of his injuries last year and because green was moving to his favorite park, which bumped him up in some people eyes.

I don't really care about this thread, but just one question.

You keep putting down Garret Anderson(the person you traded for) because he has a lower value then these other guys you named. You said you didn't want to dump walker so another close competitor could pick him up.

Well......wouldn't Walker help you more then Garrett Anderson???

Or couldn't you have dropped someone on your team for one of those waiver wire studs AND kept Walker?

I guess that's two questions.....

It seems like your more concerned with convincing us you are a sado-masochist then a smart fantasy baseball player.
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby davus » Tue May 31, 2005 2:27 pm

Irish wrote:
davus wrote:LOL.

That's only because of his injuries last year and because green was moving to his favorite park, which bumped him up in some people eyes.

I don't really care about this thread, but just one question.

You keep putting down Garret Anderson(the person you traded for) because he has a lower value then these other guys you named. You said you didn't want to dump walker so another close competitor could pick him up.

Well......wouldn't Walker help you more then Garrett Anderson???

Or couldn't you have dropped someone on your team for one of those waiver wire studs AND kept Walker?

I guess that's two questions.....

It seems like your more concerned with convincing us you are a sado-masochist then a smart fantasy baseball player.

No, Walker wouldn't help me more because I have 4 other RP but I was in need of a decent OF.

It must take some real talent to so completely avoid reading between the lines, but I guess it is all to common on forums, nobody can see past the words on the screen.

It would be a waste of time and be impossible for me to describe every thought that went through my mind when I offered that trade, but you should be able to infer simply from the fact that I offered the trade that I'm hoping that Anderson will get hot. You should also be able to infer that I realize that Walker is a risk which is why I offered him off instead of another closer. He could have and still could go on to have a monster season a la Worrell of a couple of years ago. He could also completely blow up which is starting to look like a stronger possibility now.

Yes, I confess....I tried to impove my team by acquiring a guy who I hope will start hitting better than he has!! I guess I never realized that this is the cardinal sin of fantasy baseball. Crucifixion seems like the only reasonable option. :~(
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Tue May 31, 2005 2:28 pm

In case you missed it, it's an open forum. When you post a subject and ask for opinions, it means you might get ones that don't agree with you. You just seem unable to handle anyone not kissing your rear end. So you can place your little icons where the sun does not shine.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers