Travis Hafner - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Travis Hafner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tokugawa » Mon May 30, 2005 11:23 am

Saying the Cleveland offence is struggling is too simplistic an answer to explain Hafner's troubles. Of course he is getting fewer runs and rbi opportunities, but the fact that the team is struggling shouldn't really affect his batting average or hr totals, unless the arguement is that he is putting more pressure on himself.

Up to this point he's been a major dissapointment, was last year an anomally?
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gws226 » Mon May 30, 2005 11:28 am

Tokugawa wrote:Saying the Cleveland offence is struggling is too simplistic an answer to explain Hafner's troubles. Of course he is getting fewer runs and rbi opportunities, but the fact that the team is struggling shouldn't really affect his batting average or hr totals, unless the arguement is that he is putting more pressure on himself.

Up to this point he's been a major dissapointment, was last year an anomally?

Don't forget that he no lineup protection either. If he gets hot, or the opposing team is concerned about that matchup he can easily be pitched around with Broussard and Vmart following him the order.

I personally believe its a combination of everything above. I consider this more an Eric Chavez situation, where you are forced to take the hit for drafting him too high and hold until there is some sort of breakout.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mets4Life » Mon May 30, 2005 11:45 am

I'm deciding whether or not to drop him for Overbay. :-?
Mets4Life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Laean » Mon May 30, 2005 3:33 pm

josebach wrote:
Laean wrote:he hit 10 homers in the first half of last season, then he hit 18 homers in the 2nd half in 75 less at bats.

those who don't have the patience and drop players after only 2 months deserve to lose.

Only two months? Should they drop players after only 3 months? Only 4 months? Hafner is not proven enough to warrant holding him this long if there are viable Free Agents out there. To make a general statement like that is ridiculous considering there are so many leagues of different types and sizes.

Those who determine that a player is a second half hitter based on one year's statistics and waste a roster spot for half the season deserve to lose.

personally i would say 2 or 3 weeks after the all star break is when you can safely give up on a player.

i know one year's statistics is a small sample, but who else is on FA that's going to be so much better than what hafner can give you that you'd be willing to flat out drop a potential 30 100 OF? joe randa? tino martinez? "viable Free Agents out there?" there shouldn't be any in any league that you can drop hafner over. if your league has someone legit like andruw jones still left on FA or something, you need to play in something that's not a joke of a league. there shouldn't be anyone on FA that would make hafner droppable.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Steelers Rule » Mon May 30, 2005 5:27 pm

he's been on my bench for most of the season
Steelers Rule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 011472 » Mon May 30, 2005 5:58 pm

There's only 8 teams in my league and FA include Bay, Mench, Delluchi, B. Giles and V. Mart. I dropped Hafner this week to sign Inge when Javy became my latest injury. Noone grabbed him off waivers.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mets4Life » Mon May 30, 2005 7:00 pm

Get Bay off the FA
Mets4Life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nuggets » Mon May 30, 2005 9:51 pm

011472 wrote:There's only 8 teams in my league and FA include Bay, Mench, Delluchi, B. Giles and V. Mart. I dropped Hafner this week to sign Inge when Javy became my latest injury. Noone grabbed him off waivers.

I believe VMart decided to hit again just as you dropped him. I'd go get him back quickly. And explain how B. Giles is on FA. You'd better get him quickly.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Box » Tue May 31, 2005 9:30 am

nuggets wrote:
011472 wrote:There's only 8 teams in my league and FA include Bay, Mench, Delluchi, B. Giles and V. Mart. I dropped Hafner this week to sign Inge when Javy became my latest injury. Noone grabbed him off waivers.

I believe VMart decided to hit again just as you dropped him. I'd go get him back quickly. And explain how B. Giles is on FA. You'd better get him quickly.

In an 8 teamer, none of those FA really surprise me. Especially if they have a shallow bench.

As for Hafner, he was just waived in my 12 teamer and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on him. I'd stash him if I had room. If he continues to struggles through then next month, then you have to start worrying.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AT » Tue May 31, 2005 9:42 am

I picked Hafner to lead Cleveland to the AL Central title and finish 2nd in MVP voting behind ARod. I even traded Dunn and Webb for him straight up before the season started. So far he is the only big mistake I've made in my 3 leagues that I'm either within sniffing distance of 1st (sitting 2nd) or already in 1st. I have to stick with him on my bench since I ran my mouth so much at my drafts...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers