What's wrong with my team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's wrong with my team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's wrong with my team?

Postby Treb » Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:23 pm

Hey guys, I know it's early, but my team is really getting hurt out there ... and I thought it was pretty good! I've made some moves, so here's what I've got in a 5 X 5 Roto 12 team league

C - Piazza
1B - Fred McGriff ... Tony Clark backup
2B - Fernando Vina ... Pokey Reese backup
3B - Mike Lowell/Sean Burroughs (who should I play)
SS - Rafael Furcal ... Pokey Reese backup
Outfielders - Sosa, Pierre, Alou, Dunn, Hunter

Pitchers
Wood, Cruz, Beckett, Washburn

RP
Byung Hyun Kim, Foulke, Matt Anderson, Eric Gagne, Jorge Julio

My major prob is batting average, which was completely unexpected!
Minor problems: only one catcher, pitching

Would appreciate any help
Treb

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby uanap » Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:45 am

I think you have a pretty solid team. But I'm going to give you three nuggets of advice that has helped me a lot and may help others as well. Especially since my team has also started slow (i.e. Giambi and ARod) as well.

1. Its a marathon not a sprint. Your hitting will come around. Be patient with it. Dont go out and conduct a major overhaul of your team just because someone like ARod couldnt hit a beachball if it were thrown underhanded at him. Patience is a virtue and fantasy baseball is evidence of that.

2. Dont overthink yourself. Get a set lineup and stick with it. Its going to be a rollercoaster of a season. Remember if you have a perenial .300 hitter on your team who is not hitting so hot now he will turn it around. In fact, if he's hitting below the Mendoza line now you definately want him in there. He's going to break out in a big way to get his average back up.

3. Look for others that may panic in your league. Last year some joker dropped Sweeney early and I gobbled him up. Check the waiver wire often for gems your competitors may have given up on. Also, if someone is frustrated this early with one of there stars maybe you can get him for cheap in a trade. Be creative and careful

Remember, the season is only a week and a half old. There is still more than enough time for your team turns around.
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

right

Postby cwebb » Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:53 am

uanap is right all the way!

Go with Lowell at third and take closer look on Burroughs performances before you start him.

You have enough closers, and someone always comes up short there, so try to get another good starter. Maybe trade Jorge, he's not there yet and who knows when it might happen. His stock is high now but if doesn't deliver in the next few weeks nobody would take him.
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Thu Apr 11, 2002 6:00 am

I'm hoping a lot of folks who are starting to worry about their team read uanap's comments, because they sum up the situation extremely well: it's early. How early? Well, the Pirates lead the NL Central...

I'm in the same boat: I look at my team in the morning and the first thing I see is Jason Kendall's average staring back at me. It's painful, but it happens to everyone. uanap's right: sit back, don't panic, and see if anybody else makes a rash decision you can profit from.

As far as your team is concerned, it looks pretty good, although adding a proven sp would make me feel a bit more secure. Your bullpen should be good enough to compensate the occasional bad start by your young starters, though. Your batting average should be fine, but if you can deal an of such as Dunn, Alou or Hunter for an infielder you'd be in even better shape. I also wouldn't worry too much about having only one catcher. The Mets plan on being careful not to overwork Piazza this year. And if something happens, you have the depth (at of or rp) to deal for a decent replacement.

Lowell or Burroughs is a tough call. I'd just go by opposing pitcher or by the park where they're playing.

Hope this helps!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dark Treb » Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:36 pm

All right, thanks guys. For some reason, some guy in my league dropped Jon Lieber, but one of the few people lower than me beat me out on my waiver request. Too bad!

I know I shouldn't be panicking about my hitting, I've just been unlucky enough for just about EVERY GUY to have started slowly.

Another question: what's the word on Jarrod Washburn?

BTW, I'm relatively new to Fantasy Baseball, so I appreciate help from experienced people.
Dark Treb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Thu Apr 11, 2002 6:10 pm

Wow - why would anybody drop Lieber? He's been doing pretty well. Too bad someone else grabbed him. Oh well - can't win 'em all.

Washburn won't be a Cy Young candidate, but he should bounce back from his shaky start. Something like an era of 4.00 with decent k's and around a dozen wins sounds reasonable, although he could also be considerably better (he made huge strides improving his control last year) or worse (he was pretty bad at the end of last season). Finding a fifth starter in case he (or one of your other guys) takes a step back still sounds like a good idea.

A shame about Lieber, but there will be plenty of other opportunities. Hang in there!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dark Treb » Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:25 am

LOL, I'm still in the cellar for BA, just wondering, should I be worried about some of my guys?

I'm fairly sure I'll get 300+ from Piazza, McGriff, Vina, Sosa, Alou (if he comes back fine), and Pierre. (Or should I be worried about Pierre?)

Oh yeah, I've picked up Brian Lawrence, should I keep him? Or should I get Bud Smith?
Dark Treb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:01 pm

With that lineup, you won't be last in average for long. I'm certainly not worried about Pierre - with his talent and work ethic, he could challenge for a batting title soon. If anything, I'd worry a bit about McGriff, who may be starting to show signs of age, as well as Furcal and Alou, since you never know if supposedly healed injuries won't leave some negative effects. Still, I'm optimistic about all those guys.

The choice between Smith and Lawrence is tough. They have somewhat similar styles (more finesse than power), and both have great potential. If I had to pick one, I'd take Lawrence, if only because you never know what the Cards will do with their rotation, although flipping a coin also sounds like a decent way to make a decision like this.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers