Speed guys: Freel or Taveras? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Speed guys: Freel or Taveras?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Speed guys: Freel or Taveras?

Postby Twinskies » Sat May 28, 2005 12:25 pm

I currently have Taveras on my roster for his SB's but i'm not too happy with his performance in other categories....would Freel be a better option in this role or would u guys stick with Taveras?
This field, this game, it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh people will come Ray, people will most definitely come.
Twinskies
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Sat May 28, 2005 12:30 pm

I was faced with this same dilemma earlier this week, cut Taveras and went with Freel---just in time for his huge Thursday.

Taveras just doesn't get on base enough I don't think and I love guys like Freel, dirt dogs who go all out on every play.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sat May 28, 2005 2:41 pm

Of the two, I go with Freel - more secure of a job with Jimenez out of the picture and multi-positional eligibility.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Darkie Satchels » Sat May 28, 2005 2:49 pm

Taveras. He's not going anywhere on the 'Stros lineup despite a horrible May. He just needs to learn to hit more consistently and figure out how to bunt efficiently. He is so f.a.s.t. that when he gets the bunt down or starts hitting the line drives he will be unstopable to turn 2 - easily.

Ride him out for the remainder of May and most of June to see if it's just a hic-up; which i think it is.

Great indie Music Website: http://www.pensatos.com
Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby This is the year » Sat May 28, 2005 3:40 pm

nsulham wrote:I was faced with this same dilemma earlier this week, cut Taveras and went with Freel---just in time for his huge Thursday.

Taveras just doesn't get on base enough I don't think and I love guys like Freel, dirt dogs who go all out on every play.

Nsulham, exact same thing for me this week. Dropped Taveras, picked up Freel to replace Loretta, and the next day he had the 4/6 day. I'd go with Freel from here on out, since it's looking like he'll start every day. He's got a great OBP, so he'll be on base much more often for steals and getting driven in by the big bats in the Cin lineup. At this point, the Houston team couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat, making Taveras a 1-category player. Plus, Freel's eligibility for 2B, 3B, and OF make him the clear choice.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jeffwarsh » Sat May 28, 2005 3:57 pm

Freel.
jeffwarsh
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Kingctb27 » Sat May 28, 2005 4:06 pm

I would still probably go with Tavarez. He is pretty much garenteed to steal a bag when he gets on. It's really just a matter of him getting on base. :-o
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby reznorsboy » Sat May 28, 2005 5:16 pm

Freel is a better option as he has better OBP and strikes out half as much. If Taveras learns to bunt he has the potential to be an elite lead-off man
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby West » Sat May 28, 2005 5:36 pm

I agree. The fact that I can plug Freel in at 2B, 3B or OF any day of the week makes him that much more valuable than Taveras. Plus, Freel is easily the more mature hitter.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 86)

Return to Baseball Leftovers