GMAC's Rankings of State Drivers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

GMAC's Rankings of State Drivers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JTWood » Sat May 28, 2005 6:01 pm

WharfRat wrote:Virginia is 15th?? It surprises me that Northern Virginia and Richmond don't pull us waayyyy down.

I actually would like to have seen a rural/urban split in this survey. I'm from southern Illinois, and our drivers are perfectly polite and knowledgable (for the most part). St. Louis, though, is awful. I swear that people in the city think that blinkers are for decoration only, and that lane changes can really be conducted over a period of 30 seconds.

Ridiculous... :-t
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Postby blankman » Sat May 28, 2005 8:23 pm

The Natural wrote:
blankman wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
blankman wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
logan wrote:no surprise seeing jersey down at the bottom. if its a circle they are ok. but if they are presented with a straight line road its a catastrophe ;-) . some of the worst drivers ever. (course that can be said about most drivers everywhere all over the US.)


And no left turns in Jersey which is the most retarded thing ever


That's not at all true. Trust me, I've lived there my whole life


I thought there were no left turns...ahh well

you suck blankman ! j/k ;-D


Haha. No left turns, that would be the most retarded thing ever.


There are places in Jersey where you can't turn left but it is not the rule. You usually only find this on very busy roads. I know route 10 has some in Morris County. They use "U-turns" instead.

From my experience, you can turn left at 99+% of intersections in NJ.


This is true with Rt 10. I actually go there all the time and live in Morris County. What about you?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Sat May 28, 2005 8:54 pm

WharfRat wrote:Virginia is 15th?? It surprises me that Northern Virginia and Richmond don't pull us waayyyy down. People in Northern Virginia are just plain HOSTILE. Like they're out to kill you. Which can't be said about drivers in NJ, by the way. Most places like the Garden State, it's just crowded. In NoVa, it's deadly deadly, as my man RZA would say.


Yea NoVA drivers are totally insane...I should know I used to be one
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby WharfRat » Sun May 29, 2005 12:32 am

blankman wrote:
The Natural wrote:
blankman wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
blankman wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
logan wrote:no surprise seeing jersey down at the bottom. if its a circle they are ok. but if they are presented with a straight line road its a catastrophe ;-) . some of the worst drivers ever. (course that can be said about most drivers everywhere all over the US.)


And no left turns in Jersey which is the most retarded thing ever


That's not at all true. Trust me, I've lived there my whole life


I thought there were no left turns...ahh well

you suck blankman ! j/k ;-D


Haha. No left turns, that would be the most retarded thing ever.


There are places in Jersey where you can't turn left but it is not the rule. You usually only find this on very busy roads. I know route 10 has some in Morris County. They use "U-turns" instead.

From my experience, you can turn left at 99+% of intersections in NJ.


This is true with Rt 10. I actually go there all the time and live in Morris County. What about you?


I grew up in Monmouth County, and actually there are a lot of jughandles there on the highways. I'm not sure what the proportions are, but it seems like 30% or so of the left turns on highways or main roads are jughandles, the rest are just regular. I still don't get why NJ has them.

And here's a kind've-related question: why does NJ (and Oregon??) have gas station attendants, where other states (like Virginia) let you do it yourself? Another thing I've always wondered about.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3056
Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Walking my fish

Postby WharfRat » Sun May 29, 2005 12:34 am

acsguitar wrote:
WharfRat wrote:Virginia is 15th?? It surprises me that Northern Virginia and Richmond don't pull us waayyyy down. People in Northern Virginia are just plain HOSTILE. Like they're out to kill you. Which can't be said about drivers in NJ, by the way. Most places like the Garden State, it's just crowded. In NoVa, it's deadly deadly, as my man RZA would say.


Yea NoVA drivers are totally insane...I should know I used to be one


I've never seen so many people make it a point to speed up if someone WAY ahead of them is trying to change lanes, like they don't want anybody in front of them ever. And the tailgating is AWFUL. But they do that in rural VA too, from my experience at least. :-t
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3056
Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Walking my fish

Postby RyanK » Sun May 29, 2005 12:35 am

I wouldnt think CT would be so bad.... not too much traffic.. welll... yah.. nevermind, lot of new york comuters
Image
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 2839
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sun May 29, 2005 12:53 am

WharfRat wrote:And here's a kind've-related question: why does NJ (and Oregon??) have gas station attendants, where other states (like Virginia) let you do it yourself? Another thing I've always wondered about.

I don't know about Oregon. It's been that way in Jersey since the late 40s. I have been told that there was a huge fire in the 40s in Edison? NJ related to smoking at a gas station and that's what spurred the local government to pass the law. Not sure if that's accurate though.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby davidmarver » Sun May 29, 2005 1:05 am

California drivers suck. We should be last.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby JTWood » Sun May 29, 2005 10:58 am

Amazinz wrote:
WharfRat wrote:And here's a kind've-related question: why does NJ (and Oregon??) have gas station attendants, where other states (like Virginia) let you do it yourself? Another thing I've always wondered about.

I don't know about Oregon. It's been that way in Jersey since the late 40s. I have been told that there was a huge fire in the 40s in Edison? NJ related to smoking at a gas station and that's what spurred the local government to pass the law. Not sure if that's accurate though.

There are other states that have attendants for weird reasons. For instance, parts of Florida hire full-time attendants during the Love Bug mating season. The Love Bugs fill the air like you wouldn't believe. There are so many that it actually sounds like rain as they splat on your car.

It's so bad that you have to stop pretty frequently to clean off your grill and windshield, otherwise, all of those bug guts will fry to your car in the Florida sun. That's where the attendants come in. As you pump gas, they get clean off your car. It's a free service, but tips are expected.
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Postby WharfRat » Sun May 29, 2005 3:21 pm

JTWood wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
WharfRat wrote:And here's a kind've-related question: why does NJ (and Oregon??) have gas station attendants, where other states (like Virginia) let you do it yourself? Another thing I've always wondered about.

I don't know about Oregon. It's been that way in Jersey since the late 40s. I have been told that there was a huge fire in the 40s in Edison? NJ related to smoking at a gas station and that's what spurred the local government to pass the law. Not sure if that's accurate though.

There are other states that have attendants for weird reasons. For instance, parts of Florida hire full-time attendants during the Love Bug mating season. The Love Bugs fill the air like you wouldn't believe. There are so many that it actually sounds like rain as they splat on your car.

It's so bad that you have to stop pretty frequently to clean off your grill and windshield, otherwise, all of those bug guts will fry to your car in the Florida sun. That's where the attendants come in. As you pump gas, they get clean off your car. It's a free service, but tips are expected.


Haha, that's kinda crazy. I always thought Love Bugs were just hippy slang for VW Beetles. :-D :-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3056
Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Walking my fish

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: assiquate and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Pittsburgh
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact