GMAC's Rankings of State Drivers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

GMAC's Rankings of State Drivers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

GMAC's Rankings of State Drivers

Postby JTWood » Fri May 27, 2005 4:19 pm

GMAC Survey wrote:1. Oregon -- 89.4
2. Washington -- 88.4
3. Iowa -- 87.7
4. Idaho -- 87.5
5. Wyoming -- 87.4
6. Vermont -- 86.6
7. Nebraska -- 86.5
8. Wisconsin -- 86.3
9. Montana -- 86.2
10. West Virginia -- 86.2
11. Minnesota -- 86.1
12. North Dakota -- 85.6
13. North Carolina -- 85.2
14. Indiana -- 85.1
15. Alabama -- 84.7
15. Virginia -- 84.7
15. Nevada -- 84.7
16 Missouri -- 84.7
19. Ohio -- 84.3
19. South Dakota -- 84.3
21. Colorado -- 84.2
22. Kansas -- 84.0
23. Michigan -- 83.8
24. New Hampshire -- 83.7
25. Tennessee -- 83.4
26. Maine -- 83.2
27. Arkansas -- 83.1
27. South Carolina -- 83.1
29. Georgia -- 82.9
29. New Mexico -- 82.9
31. Oklahoma -- 82.8
32. Texas -- 82.7
33. Utah -- 82.6
33. Arizona -- 82.6
35. Mississippi -- 82.5
35. Delaware -- 82.5
35. Kentucky -- 82.5
38. Pennsylvania -- 82.1
39. Louisiana -- 81.7
40. Illinois -- 81.6
41. Florida -- 81.1
42. Connecticut -- 80.9
43. California -- 80.4
44. Maryland -- 79.8
45. Washington, D.C, -- 79.8
45. New York -- 79.8
47. New Jersey -- 78.3
48. Massachusetts -- 77.2
49. Rhode Island -- 77.0
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Fri May 27, 2005 4:21 pm

CNN.com wrote:NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - When faced with a written test, similar to ones given to beginning drivers applying for licenses, one in ten drivers couldn't get a passing score, according to a study commissioned by GMAC Insurance.

The GMAC Insurance National Driver's Test found that nearly 20 million Americans, or about 1 in 10 drivers, would fail a state driver's test if they had to take one today. GMAC Insurance is part of General Motors' finance subsidiary, GMAC.

More than 5,000 licensed drivers between the ages of 16 and 65 were administered a 20-question written test designed to measure basic knowledge about traffic laws and safety. They were also surveyed about their general driving habits.

Drivers in the Northeast and mid-Atlantic states did worst. Twenty percent of test-takers failed there.

The state of Rhode Island leads the nation in driver cluelessness, according to the survey. The average test score there was 77, just eight points above a failing grade.

Those in neighboring Massachusetts were second worst and New Jersey, third worst.

Northwestern states had the most knowledgeable drivers. In those states, just one to three percent failed the test. Oregon and Washington drivers knew the rules of the road best. In Oregon, the average test score was 89.

According to the study, many drivers find basic practices, such as merging and interpreting road signs, difficult.

For instance, one out of five drivers doesn't know that a pedestrian in a crosswalk has the right of way, and one out of three drivers speeds up to make a yellow light, even when pedestrians are present, the study said.

Drivers not only lack basic road knowledge, but exhibit dangerous driving behavior as well.

"As a nation of drivers, we've made little progress in the past 10 years to curb some of the most dangerous driving behaviors, including drinking and driving and speeding," said Susan Ferguson, senior vice president of research at the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

One out of 10 drivers regularly exceeds the speed limit by 11 or more miles per hour, with drivers aged between 18 and 24 years showing the greatest propensity for speeding, the study said.

Speeding increases both the likelihood of an accident and the severity of the crash, the company added, citing research from IIHS.

Younger drivers are the most likely to fail a written driving test while those between the ages of 50 and 64 are the most likely to pass.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 27, 2005 4:41 pm

Colorado by far has the worst driver ever.

I lived in DC for a long time and at least people there no how to keep up with traffic.

here in Denver everyone drives at 30 mph in the fast lane and there are like flipped cars on the news every day
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Fri May 27, 2005 4:44 pm

As long as the test isn't full of towing trailers questions, I can still pass. :-D

Interesting read, and I bet it's all the crazy Dallas drivers keeping Texas ranked down at #32. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby logan » Fri May 27, 2005 4:49 pm

no surprise seeing jersey down at the bottom. if its a circle they are ok. but if they are presented with a straight line road its a catastrophe ;-) . some of the worst drivers ever. (course that can be said about most drivers everywhere all over the US.)
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri May 27, 2005 5:00 pm

I'm pretty sure Maine is so low b/c most of the test-takers just couldn't read the questions.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 27, 2005 5:14 pm

logan wrote:no surprise seeing jersey down at the bottom. if its a circle they are ok. but if they are presented with a straight line road its a catastrophe ;-) . some of the worst drivers ever. (course that can be said about most drivers everywhere all over the US.)

And no left turns in Jersey which is the most retarded thing ever
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Fri May 27, 2005 5:15 pm

logan wrote:no surprise seeing jersey down at the bottom. if its a circle they are ok. but if they are presented with a straight line road its a catastrophe ;-) . some of the worst drivers ever. (course that can be said about most drivers everywhere all over the US.)

NJ probably has the most driving going on in it's state. Everyone is always in a rush and everything is 15 minutes away, so you get a lot of people driving very fast.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Fri May 27, 2005 5:16 pm

acsguitar wrote:

That's not at all true. Trust me, I've lived there my whole life
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 27, 2005 5:39 pm

blankman wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

That's not at all true. Trust me, I've lived there my whole life

I thought there were no left turns...ahh well

you suck blankman ! j/k ;-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk