Has anyone ever punted a non-traditional category? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has anyone ever punted a non-traditional category?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Has anyone ever punted a non-traditional category?

Postby Dice » Fri May 27, 2005 3:59 pm

In two leagues I'm in an odd situation. My offenses are mediocre to above average in four out of the five categories, but one category is far and away in dead last.

In one league it's RBI, where I'm in last by 18! I'm 3rd out of 11 in Runs, 5th in SB, 5th in total bases, and 5th in OBP. It's partly leadoff men imbalance, but some of my run producers like to draw walks rather than swing away, like Dunn and Brian Giles.

In the other league it's OBP, where I've been last for a while. I'm 7th out of 13 in runs, 9th in RBI, 4th in SB, and 9th in TB. I think this is just a matter of people struggling, like Rollins and Victor Martinez.

In the first league especially, would it be insane to write off RBI as a category with that gap between me and second to last? I could trade for RBI men to close the gap, or try to get another leadoff man and try to improve in the other categories.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby so0perspam » Fri May 27, 2005 4:03 pm

Head to head leagues- More than fine to punt categories and load up on others, as winning 6-4 or 7-3 every week puts you in very good shape.

Roto leagues- Very, very foolish to punt categories. You're limiting the amount of maximum points you can accumulate and it puts you in a really bad spot.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby CPHFighter1 » Fri May 27, 2005 4:24 pm

This sounds like a terrible idea, and I'm not even sure how you'd do it. RBI and OBP are so highly correlated with a number of hitting statistics. Even though you didn't mention what your 'other categories' are, I would assume there are other power stats, and they will take a hit if you pick up another leadoff hitter, and get rid of some power.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby baseballnewb » Sat May 28, 2005 12:30 am

I've punted average in one league. Dave Roberts, Dunn, Burnitz, Pods, etc. I basically looked at all stats except average and drafted based on that for hitters. I still win average some weeks and i do great in R/RBI/HR/SB and my pitching is better than normal since I was able to wait on hitting more than in most of my leagues.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Sat May 28, 2005 12:34 am

baseballnewb wrote:I've punted average in one league. Dave Roberts, Dunn, Burnitz, Pods, etc. I basically looked at all stats except average and drafted based on that for hitters. I still win average some weeks and i do great in R/RBI/HR/SB and my pitching is better than normal since I was able to wait on hitting more than in most of my leagues.

I did that on two teams last year. It didn't work out as well as I had planned. I've seen it done though successfully, so I wouldn't say it's the worst of strategies.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers