Rickey Henderson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rickey Henderson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Simulacrum » Fri May 27, 2005 3:02 pm

bd3521 wrote:
_Simulacrum_ wrote:And who's calling for Rice's retirement??

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?s=aa308c0623d347586e3c69b347fae11e&showtopic=159920
Good read

I stand corrected, those guys are definitely calling for Rice's retirement. :-?

I still disagree with them though. Life is short, you gotta do what you love and what makes you happy.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Fri May 27, 2005 3:30 pm

Rirruto wrote:
cordscords wrote:That must have been a treat. I expect to see him up in the bigs at some point and time this year.

BTW- Why is it that everybody is applauding Henderson, and everybody is telling Rice to retire?

I dont think everybody is applauding him. I think some people want him to hang it up so he can be eligible for the freakin HoF already. I dont know if he'll be in the bigs this year though, he played with an independent team last season as well and did fairly well and did not get any major league offers.

There's a misconception on how this affects Henderson's HOF eligibility. It doesn't. He's still eligible five years following his last big league appearance. The only way this changes is if some big league team signs him, which is unlikely.

The guy's having a good time playing baseball and he's obviously not doing it for the money. Believe me when I tell you Rickey still has nearly every dollar he ever made in the majors (his reputation for pinching pennies is of nearly epic proportions, and he also supplemented his income nicely over the years by relieving teammates of theirs in assorted games of chance).
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Rirruto » Fri May 27, 2005 3:34 pm

thehat wrote:
There's a misconception on how this affects Henderson's HOF eligibility. It doesn't. He's still eligible five years following his last big league appearance. The only way this changes is if some big league team signs him, which is unlikely.

I'm fully aware of that but he's not just playing for the love of the game. The dude still wants to be part of a 25 man big league roster.

"He still hopes to play in the majors," agent Jeff Borris said. "He still feels that he can be competitive."
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby reznorsboy » Fri May 27, 2005 3:37 pm

Yeah Ricky was saying in an interview that he wants to get picked up by a big league team and was wondering why there hasn't been interest yet
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ZAZ » Fri May 27, 2005 3:54 pm

Well, if it makes Rickey feel any better, I just picked him up. I dropped Pierre to make room for him. I think it'll be a push though on the amount of steals I get for the rest of the year.

Go Rickey Go!!
ZAZ
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Fri May 27, 2005 4:20 pm

Rirruto wrote:
thehat wrote:

I'm fully aware of that but he's not just playing for the love of the game. The dude still wants to be part of a 25 man big league roster.

"He still hopes to play in the majors," agent Jeff Borris said. "He still feels that he can be competitive."

Well, of course he wants to play for MLB. Who wouldn't? Rickey still has some ability left to play the game at the highest level and hopefully someone will recognize this soon.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby quietstorm » Fri May 27, 2005 4:41 pm

I'm going to say this only once. Rickey and Rice are in different situations. Yes, they can both still contribute.

But, I'm a 49ers fan. Rice said he wanted to play his career in San Fran, then he left us for the Raiders. He hasn't been the same receiver since he left the Niners. For that, I despise him. Despise. If the Niners didn't want him anymore, he should have retired; look at Barry Larkin. He retired because he didn't want to play anywhere else. Jerry Rice could have been the last of the greats (or one of them) to play his full career with a single team (I doubt anybody else will do it, aside from Favre).

Pity.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri May 27, 2005 4:56 pm

quietstorm wrote:I'm going to say this only once. Rickey and Rice are in different situations. Yes, they can both still contribute.

But, I'm a 49ers fan. Rice said he wanted to play his career in San Fran, then he left us for the Raiders. He hasn't been the same receiver since he left the Niners. For that, I despise him. Despise. If the Niners didn't want him anymore, he should have retired; look at Barry Larkin. He retired because he didn't want to play anywhere else. Jerry Rice could have been the last of the greats (or one of them) to play his full career with a single team (I doubt anybody else will do it, aside from Favre).

Pity.

Ya, pity that he's the greatest offensive football player to ever play the game. He left the 49ers b/c he wanted to have a starting gig. In Oakland, he got it. A player should always retire on his own terms, not on the fans or anybody else's. That'd just be stupid. He even tried to come back to the 49ers this year, but they said they had no interest. I only wish Jerry Rice would have signed with the Patriots, b/c it would have been a privelege to watch him play, even in his diminished role.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri May 27, 2005 6:30 pm

Someone I work with is a huuuge Rickey fan. He wants the Pirates to sign him right now. He said that it would draw in a bunch of people to watch the game since he's one of the best players that has ever played.

Personally, I wouldn't mind that much, but I don't think it would bring in a bunch of fans. He's probably better than Tike Redman will ever be! I think the majority of fans/writers would just be up in arms about bringing in a mid 40 year old guy on a team that needs to go young.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri May 27, 2005 6:41 pm

beltrans_boy is a big fan of Ricky Henderson. beltrans_boy feels that Rickey Henderson might be able to help a major league team. beltrans_boy thinks that all this talk of Ricky Henderson retiring is ridiculous. beltrans_boy approves.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers