Rickey Henderson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rickey Henderson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rickey Henderson

Postby Yoda » Fri May 27, 2005 10:52 am

A buddy of mine and I went to the San Diego Surf Dawgs (Independent League) season opener last night. Leading off for the Surf Dawgs was none other than #24, Rickey Henderson, playing left field. He got on base 4 times, going 2-3 with 2 walks and of course, a stolen base.

Our seats were in the first row on the 1B side. He looked like he was having a lot of fun and everyone cheered very loudly every time he was at bat. His 3rd time on base, the crowd was cheering him on to steal and he waved to us with a big smile. It was hilarious. Then he took off for second, sliding head first into second base slightly to the right to avoid the tag. He got a big standing O.

Anyway, every time Rickey was on base, he waved to us and the crowd would go nuts. It's good to see that all he really cares about is playing ball and having a good time. Well worth the 10 bucks we spent and hopefully someone will pick him up.
Last edited by Yoda on Fri May 27, 2005 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bd3521 » Fri May 27, 2005 10:56 am

I saw Rickey, Jose & Ozzie Canseco a couple years ago when they were playing for the Newark (NJ) Bears. What a show
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cordscords » Fri May 27, 2005 12:47 pm

That must have been a treat. I expect to see him up in the bigs at some point and time this year.

BTW- Why is it that everybody is applauding Henderson, and everybody is telling Rice to retire?
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Fri May 27, 2005 12:52 pm

Not everybody is applauding Ricky. He is much in the same position as Rice, except Jerry Rice has more pull in the sport he plays.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Rirruto » Fri May 27, 2005 12:53 pm

cordscords wrote:That must have been a treat. I expect to see him up in the bigs at some point and time this year.

BTW- Why is it that everybody is applauding Henderson, and everybody is telling Rice to retire?

I dont think everybody is applauding him. I think some people want him to hang it up so he can be eligible for the freakin HoF already. I dont know if he'll be in the bigs this year though, he played with an independent team last season as well and did fairly well and did not get any major league offers.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Simulacrum » Fri May 27, 2005 1:05 pm

cordscords wrote:That must have been a treat. I expect to see him up in the bigs at some point and time this year.

Maybe I'm in the minority... I think it's awesome Ricky still wants to play the game at some level and is succeeding. He enjoys it, good for him. I still remember collecting his baseball cards when I was a very young lad.

And who's calling for Rice's retirement?? I admit it was a little sad that he faxed every team in football and asked for a spot on their team, but he was great for the Seahawks last year, he made some awesome plays. He can be good for the Broncos this year too. Probably better than Rod Smith at least. The man still has it, and if he's enjoying it, let him play.

I applaud them both.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Fri May 27, 2005 1:18 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:

Maybe I'm in the minority... I think it's awesome Ricky still wants to play the game at some level and is succeeding. He enjoys it, good for him. I still remember collecting his baseball cards when I was a very young lad.

And who's calling for Rice's retirement?? I admit it was a little sad that he faxed every team in football and asked for a spot on their team, but he was great for the Seahawks last year, he made some awesome plays. He can be good for the Broncos this year too. Probably better than Rod Smith at least. The man still has it, and if he's enjoying it, let him play.

I applaud them both.

It was really fun watching him. He still has the good eye and speed. He smacked a double about 380 FT which I thought was out initially. He clearly can still play and I support him 100% for going out there, giving it all and having fun.

Not sure if he will sign with an MLB team but the Sox proved last year that a pinch runner can do wonders in a close game. I expect a lot of teams will remember that especially when rosters expand.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bd3521 » Fri May 27, 2005 1:19 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:And who's calling for Rice's retirement??

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?s=aa308c0623d347586e3c69b347fae11e&showtopic=159920
Good read
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri May 27, 2005 1:52 pm

Unless he's lost his unbelievable ability to read pitchers and his outrageously good eye at the plate I could still see him being a role player on a major league roster.

The guy can flat steal bases and do it without being at the speed he was in his youth. You don't steal as many bases as he's stolen with your legs alone - you do it with your mind.

He should retire when no team at any level is willing to have him on their team or he stops enjoying the game. Same for Jerry Rice. I have no problem with a superstar of one generation being a role player in another generation - if he's better than the last man on the roster he should be playing, whether he be 38, 44 or even however the hell old Julio Franco REALLY is (which he'll of course never divulge).

Speaking of guys still playing when they're really old...anyone think Wakefield could continue pitching into his 50's if he wanted to? He looks like he's sitting on a lawn chair while he's pitching...that can't put too much stress on his body. :D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby KolbSaves » Fri May 27, 2005 2:37 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:

I applaud them both.

Here here!
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers