Dunn and Billy Wagner to be traded? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dunn and Billy Wagner to be traded?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby phunkadelic » Sat May 28, 2005 8:02 am

Dunn is the ONLY person in the majors right now (not named Bonds) who has the potential to hit 60+ HR (IMO). He hit over 50 in 2001 between AA, AAA, and MLB.

He can also steal bases as the 19 SB in 2002 will attest to. He doesn't steal that many due to his spot in the Reds batting order, but he can.

He walks more than anyone in MLB (again, exempting Bonds).

He's better than Patterson.

On the flip side:

He's a below average fielder. Not horrible (Wily Mo Pena is absolutely dreadful), but below average. He can play OF and 1B though.

He's a horrible situational hitter. i.e., can never bring the guy in from 3rd, even with less than 2 outs.

He's sure to be the strikeout leader for years to come.

He's a big ole' whining baby. Not a clubhouse cancer, but definitely not a leader either.

I'd rather have Dunn on the Reds over Patterson any day, but if the Reds could get some respectable pitching in return (like a C Zambrano or K Wood), I'd be more than fine with trading him.
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Darkie Satchels » Sat May 28, 2005 2:42 pm

phunkadelic wrote:Dunn is the ONLY person in the majors right now (not named Bonds) who has the potential to hit 60+ HR (IMO).

Correction - His name is Derrek Lee. Or God...whichever you prefer cause' he answers to both.

Great indie Music Website: http://www.pensatos.com
Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat May 28, 2005 2:46 pm

Darkie Satchels wrote:
phunkadelic wrote:Dunn is the ONLY person in the majors right now (not named Bonds) who has the potential to hit 60+ HR (IMO).

Correction - His name is Derrek Lee. Or God...whichever you prefer cause' he answers to both.

As much as I'd love to see it happen Lee doesn't have the potential to hit 60, much less 50 HR IMO. 40 is certainly a possibility though, and at this point seems likely ;-)
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Laean » Sat May 28, 2005 4:21 pm

nuggets wrote:
Laean wrote:as for the argument that patterson is young, dunn is even younger by 3 months and already better.

So Dunn has won the battle of who is better the first month of the 2005 season but who will win the war?

dunn. duh. }:-)
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby brandnew » Sat May 28, 2005 6:06 pm

You don't want bunting out of your best hitter, anyways. CPatt is a terrible outfielder. He has speed, and not much else. Decent arm, nothing special. He gets terrible jumps on balls, and makes a lot of outs into hits.

He has terrible plate discipline, and good power. I don't see how he even comes close to comparing to Dunn. Dunn is on a completely different, higher level. Patterson is nothing compared to him. Tools don't mean you're a good player.

Anyways, the Reds have no use of trading for Patterson. The reason they'd trade Dunn is cause they have an extra OF'er, he'll be expensive soon, and they need pitching. So why would they trade for a mediocre outfielder to replace Dunn when they have their own free-swinging terrible plate discipline OF'er in Wily Mo? If they trade Dunn, it's for Kid K or Z, and the Cubbies I'm sure don't want to do that.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby West » Sat May 28, 2005 6:21 pm

This is not a bad thing. Unlike Vlad Guerrero, who swings at everything, Dunn is patient. Would you rather have him getting a bunch of GIDPs? I should think not! A strikeout is better than any other sort of out, because you don't take the chance of getting a double play.

I'm just wondering if the person who wrote this has actually played, or even watched a game of baseball. Because anyone who has can see that this couldn't be further from the truth. And the fact the Vlad is one of the best bad ball hitters in the league makes him one of the best, if not the best pure hitter in MLB. In case you didn't notice, he K's about 25-40 times a year, one of the lowest rates in the majors. Don't even try to compare Dunn to Vlad.
That said, I would take Dunn over Patterson in a hearbeat. He's a much more developed hitter. Patterson might explode and go 40/20 in a few year, but I see him going the way of Andruw Jones if he doesn't pull his head out of his behind soon. Whoever said that Dunn is streaky forgot to mention that Patterson is also one of the most streaky players in baseball, more so than Dunn even.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 86)

Postby ukjohn » Sat May 28, 2005 6:39 pm

Darkie Satchels wrote:

he will never hit 60, might get 50 if he gets lucky
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby brandnew » Sat May 28, 2005 7:09 pm

CPat into Andruw? Come on, give Druw some credit. His isoOBP last year was .084, something Patterson would be damn lucky to even come close to scratching. And Andruw is still only 27, and his tendency to chase the outside breaking pitch has slowly gotten a lot better.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RugbyD » Sat May 28, 2005 10:03 pm

West wrote:
This is not a bad thing. Unlike Vlad Guerrero, who swings at everything, Dunn is patient. Would you rather have him getting a bunch of GIDPs? I should think not! A strikeout is better than any other sort of out, because you don't take the chance of getting a double play.

I'm just wondering if the person who wrote this has actually played, or even watched a game of baseball. Because anyone who has can see that this couldn't be further from the truth. And the fact the Vlad is one of the best bad ball hitters in the league makes him one of the best, if not the best pure hitter in MLB. In case you didn't notice, he K's about 25-40 times a year, one of the lowest rates in the majors. Don't even try to compare Dunn to Vlad.
That said, I would take Dunn over Patterson in a hearbeat. He's a much more developed hitter. Patterson might explode and go 40/20 in a few year, but I see him going the way of Andruw Jones if he doesn't pull his head out of his behind soon. Whoever said that Dunn is streaky forgot to mention that Patterson is also one of the most streaky players in baseball, more so than Dunn even.

yeah, that quote is absolutely wrong. sure GIDPs are bad, but i would think it is more common that runners are moved over on a fly out or groundball to the right side.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers