Dunn and Billy Wagner to be traded? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dunn and Billy Wagner to be traded?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Jury » Fri May 27, 2005 8:52 pm

Members Only Jackets wrote:who will close for Philli if Wagner is gone?

It's Ryan Wagner of the Reds...
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Will Clark » Fri May 27, 2005 9:03 pm

Dunn gets on base far more often than the guy who is considered by many to be the best hitter in the AL.

Yeah, the best hitter, not the best ball watcher. Oooooohh !+)
Last edited by Will Clark on Fri May 27, 2005 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will Clark
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RugbyD » Fri May 27, 2005 9:03 pm

The Jury wrote:
Members Only Jackets wrote:who will close for Philli if Wagner is gone?

It's Ryan Wagner of the Reds...

no, thread's about Billy, and i gotta think its Madson, no?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby RugbyD » Fri May 27, 2005 10:38 pm

I think the Prior injury ends any trade talks of Wagner going to the Cubs. An OF trade is still possible though.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby brandnew » Sat May 28, 2005 1:19 am

reznorsboy wrote:Why does everybody always praise Dunn so much? He basically hits a homer or strikes out and doesn't bring much more to the table.

Corey Patterson has many different tools. He may not be as good a hitter as Dunn but He is an excellent fielder. Do you guys not agree that having a defensively sound center fielder makes all the difference in the world to a team. He is fast and has a decent arm which is rare these days.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

...AHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHA....

HAHA!

Sorry, I'm done. Wow, to quote McDonnel/Douglas, "You could not be any more wrong."

You know what's also rare? A 20-something outfielder who has a near 1.000 OPS? A guy with a .400 OBP who jacks out 50 bombs a year? Yeah, I hear that's pretty rare. You know what's not pretty rare? A 20-something outfielder, who tries to jack out a homer everytime up at the plate, has no concept of plate discipline whatsoever, a terrible OBP, and still doesn't even crack 30 HR's, or come close to a freaking .800 OPS.

Man, thanks for that laugh.

For Dunn, I'd love to see a trade of:

Horacio Ramirez, Brian McCann, and Chuck James.

McCann fills a gaping hole at C for the Reds, as early as next yaer, and is tearing up the minors.

Just check out Chuck James' stats this year... you might want to put down anything you're eating or drinking... it'll spill all over your lap. I'd even think Furcal could be available if the Reds wanted him.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby nuggets » Sat May 28, 2005 1:40 am

Patterson and Dunn are so closely valuable I don't think you can say one of them is the better player to have in your franchise system. They have different attributes giving them different perceived values depending on who you ask.

Dunn is doing better right now but I've had him on my teams before and man can this guy slump (Look at may and Sept. of last year).

Dunn has greater OBP and SLG potential but Patterson has better AVG, speed, bunting, arm strength, accuracy, fielding and range potential. There is more to being a good baseball player than fantasy stats :)

There is no guarantee that Dunn is a 50 HR guy. He is on pace for about the same as last year. It's appropriate to think of him as a 40+ HR guy.

Patterson's main problems are a lack of patience, poor command of the strike zone and a stubborn streak that can serve him well or hold him back. He will develop, eventually. Just wait for Corey to go crazy in a month or so, watch him play and then tell me what you think about his future.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Laean » Sat May 28, 2005 5:31 am

This is the year wrote:
Darkie Satchels wrote: Does Chicago really need another Sosa; either a HR or nothing hitter? Patterson is way too strong of a player to lose, especially for Dunn.

Disagree completely

Patterson for Dunn, if this were to happen, would be an absolute steal for the Cubs. Patterson is a "tools" player that never really developed into the player many were predicting. I haven't watched the games, but I've heard anecdotally that Patterson is a below-average fielder. Also, he often just looks clueless at the plate, and is a near-antithesis of what you want in a leadoff hitter (save his speed). As for Sosa/Dunn What you fail to mention is that, if Sosa is a "HR or nothing" hitter, Dunn is a "HR or BB or nothing" player...His career OBP is considerably better than Sosa's (.407 to .347), and career OPS is better by a less significant margin (.903 to .890). Dunn would provide the protection sorely needed for DLee and Aramis, and improve the team's chances of scoring runs by simply getting on base quite a bit.

we already had a winner early in this thread.

as for the argument that patterson is young, dunn is even younger by 3 months and already better.

and finally, jeez people stop saying dunn is one-dimensional or he just hits homers or Ks. he walks a TON. his OBP is .400 and his OPS is 1.000. he can also steal bases if they let him as he stole 19 bases 3 years ago.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Sat May 28, 2005 6:04 am

Laean wrote:as for the argument that patterson is young, dunn is even younger by 3 months and already better.

So Dunn has won the battle of who is better the first month of the 2005 season but who will win the war?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Sat May 28, 2005 7:20 am

There is no comp. here. Dunn is by far one of the most underrated players in the game, and I would sure as hell prefer to have him over Patterson.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby looptid » Sat May 28, 2005 8:00 am

nuggets wrote:Patterson's main problems are a lack of patience, poor command of the strike zone and a stubborn streak that can serve him well or hold him back. He will develop, eventually.

Why? With the exception of a few more steals, he looks like the second coming of Jacque Jones. Not a bad player to have until he prices himself out of being a nice bargain during his first year of free agency. But no Adam Dunn.

But what I'm hearing in this thread is that while Adam Dunn's power has peaked at age 24, Patterson is going to explode simply because he's three months older than Dunn and completely lacks plate discipline (that's a bad thing).

And Patterson isn't a fantastic centerfielder. He's pretty much league average.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers