Dunn and Billy Wagner to be traded? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dunn and Billy Wagner to be traded?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dunn and Billy Wagner to be traded?

Postby nazarko329 » Fri May 27, 2005 9:59 am

I heard on Mike and Mike in the morning that Dunn and Wagner were names to be traded. Anybody hear where they are to be traded to?
nazarko329
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Box » Fri May 27, 2005 10:00 am

You mean Ryan Wagner? Here's a thread on some rumors circulating earlier in the week.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=131096
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Darkie Satchels » Fri May 27, 2005 10:03 am

The talk has quieted down. If Dunn goes to the Cubs I might Wizinator on my own hand and then slap Dusty with it. Does Chicago really need another Sosa; either a HR or nothing hitter? Patterson is way too strong of a player to lose, especially for Dunn. Wagner, on the other hand, is a plus to an organization that can't find anything past 6 innings.

Great indie Music Website: http://www.pensatos.com
Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RugbyD » Fri May 27, 2005 10:14 am

Darkie Satchels wrote:The talk has quieted down. If Dunn goes to the Cubs I might Wizinator on my own hand and then slap Dusty with it. Does Chicago really need another Sosa; either a HR or nothing hitter? Patterson is way too strong of a player to lose, especially for Dunn. Wagner, on the other hand, is a plus to an organization that can't find anything past 6 innings.

i think talk has quieted down b/c its too early for either wagner or Dunn to be dealt. i think Dunn is much more preferable to Sosa, he knows how to get on base and is a nice lefty bat to throw in the heart of the order. as i've mentioned in more detail on other posts, i think the opportunity cost of waiting/hoping patterson develops is higher than dealing him for a known commodity.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby This is the year » Fri May 27, 2005 10:17 am

Darkie Satchels wrote: Does Chicago really need another Sosa; either a HR or nothing hitter? Patterson is way too strong of a player to lose, especially for Dunn.

Disagree completely

Patterson for Dunn, if this were to happen, would be an absolute steal for the Cubs. Patterson is a "tools" player that never really developed into the player many were predicting. I haven't watched the games, but I've heard anecdotally that Patterson is a below-average fielder. Also, he often just looks clueless at the plate, and is a near-antithesis of what you want in a leadoff hitter (save his speed). As for Sosa/Dunn What you fail to mention is that, if Sosa is a "HR or nothing" hitter, Dunn is a "HR or BB or nothing" player...His career OBP is considerably better than Sosa's (.407 to .347), and career OPS is better by a less significant margin (.903 to .890). Dunn would provide the protection sorely needed for DLee and Aramis, and improve the team's chances of scoring runs by simply getting on base quite a bit.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Darkie Satchels » Fri May 27, 2005 10:19 am

RugbyD wrote:
Darkie Satchels wrote:The talk has quieted down. If Dunn goes to the Cubs I might Wizinator on my own hand and then slap Dusty with it. Does Chicago really need another Sosa; either a HR or nothing hitter? Patterson is way too strong of a player to lose, especially for Dunn. Wagner, on the other hand, is a plus to an organization that can't find anything past 6 innings.

i think talk has quieted down b/c its too early for either wagner or Dunn to be dealt. i think Dunn is much more preferable to Sosa, he knows how to get on base and is a nice lefty bat to throw in the heart of the order. as i've mentioned in more detail on other posts, i think the opportunity cost of waiting/hoping patterson develops is higher than dealing him for a known commodity.

As history states - once a Cub leaves they become MVP material ;) As a Cubs fan for some time, Patterson is a good hitter who's been overshadowed by Alou and Sosa for years. He's also young and improving each year. If I could mark this post and laugh at you in a year or two I would. But seeing as how I can't remember what I even ate last night for dinner, I digress.

Great indie Music Website: http://www.pensatos.com
Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Fri May 27, 2005 10:45 am

If the Reds trade Adam Dunn for anything but pitching, I will no longer consider myself a Reds fan. I just don't see it happening, sorry guys.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri May 27, 2005 10:47 am

Mark it and laugh at me, then. I fail to see how 2004 was an "improvement" on 2003 - or how this season has been much different from 2002 or 2004. But, I digress.

I can't see the Phillies trading Wagner right now - but if they are out of it, and with all the teams in need of a closer, I can definitely see it happening in July.

As for the Reds, I'd be curious why they'd trade Dunn - I figure they'd build around him. I really don't see them trading RWagner - young, not even arbitration eligible and likely the reason they dumped Graves - they think he's ready to be the closer.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Yoda » Fri May 27, 2005 10:57 am

slomo007 wrote:If the Reds trade Adam Dunn for anything but pitching, I will no longer consider myself a Reds fan. I just don't see it happening, sorry guys.

I agree. That would be a STUPID move. But then again, didn't they sell Encarnacion and Guillen for nothing?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RugbyD » Fri May 27, 2005 10:57 am

Darkie Satchels wrote:
RugbyD wrote:

As history states - once a Cub leaves they become MVP material ;) As a Cubs fan for some time, Patterson is a good hitter who's been overshadowed by Alou and Sosa for years. He's also young and improving each year. If I could mark this post and laugh at you in a year or two I would. But seeing as how I can't remember what I even ate last night for dinner, I digress.

heh, Lou Brock, Jon Garland.............. ok i'll stop before i jump off a building.

but patterson, c'mon dude, take off the cubbie blinders. i did about 4 years ago and it feels great. there has been nothing encouraging about his BA or OBP %s. he still swings at the same high-and-tight fastball that he has never hit. his RISP #s are all below his career averages. he still can't take a walk and still Ks a ton. he had a rep in the minors of having a sub-par attitude and being uncoachable. just last year he was finally forced to learn how to bunt. the kid has had seven years to learn how to be a baseball player instead of just another 5-tool first-round flame-out athlete and he has failed. I will be dead in 60-75 years and i just don't have anymore time to give to this bum to see if he can get us a WS.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers