Giants president Peter Magowan speaks out concerning Barry - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giants president Peter Magowan speaks out concerning Barry

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Giants president Peter Magowan speaks out concerning Barry

Postby wrveres » Fri May 27, 2005 2:30 am

MLB.com

Magowan told MLB.com that despite reports to the contrary, there has been full communication between Bonds and the team regarding Bonds' surgeries, rehab and the series of setbacks that has plagued him since the start of Spring Training

"It's bad rumors and it's not true that they weren't involved. It's just not right. They're in communication with the doctors every day.The organization has always known about it. It's no secret.
I've never hidden my training. And they've been part of my whole rehab. Stan Conte has done a great job. I listen to them."

"I'm not going to get pinned down in that we knew every last little bit of what he was doing," he said. "But to say that there was no communication, that the Giants had no knowledge of what was going on, no communication with Dr. Ting, is totally wrong."

"Every single day, Dr. Ting comes up to my house. Almost every single night, to check my knee, to see how it's feeling. He's done all my surgeries throughout my career. Every one of them. And he reports back every single day to the Giants."

The Basic Agreement stipulates that any Major League player can choose to have surgery performed on him by a physician outside the auspices of the club.

"Of course Barry has that right, any player does," Magowan said. "But the organization has the right to determine what the general direction of the treatment should be. The guy can give him the operation. That's one thing. But who should be in control of the rehabilitation and recovery? The organization has the right to determine that. And we have."

any guesses as to who started the rumors? ;-7
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby afromangettindrunk » Fri May 27, 2005 2:43 pm

the BBC? :-b
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mbuser » Fri May 27, 2005 6:54 pm

you'd think they would have wanted to clear the air when this all started months ago, regardless of who started it -- the only reason the snowball has gotten so big is because no one has argued against it. the national media has taken what they've been given. and i recall felipe alou saying he had no clue how bonds was doing and 'jokingly' asking what his website url was
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby reznorsboy » Fri May 27, 2005 7:01 pm

What is the big deal. BArry has had his own Training regime for a long time. I don't see why there is so much hype about this.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri May 27, 2005 7:05 pm

Spin doctored damage control. No one would actually take this seriously.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Fri May 27, 2005 8:31 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Spin doctored damage control. No one would actually take this seriously.

I agree. I doubt they would come out and say that Bonds never lets them know what he is doing and they dont want him to see the doctor he is seeing. Maybe this will all be over soon. He did have to take a drug test this week :-D

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby nuggets » Sat May 28, 2005 12:41 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:Spin doctored damage control. No one would actually take this seriously.
:-t What damage?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Sat May 28, 2005 1:33 am

reznorsboy wrote:What is the big deal. BArry has had his own Training regime for a long time. I don't see why there is so much hype about this.

The big deal is that Barry is an employee of the Giants, and therefore is expected to inform the Giants and/or follow the advice of the Giants for everything he does (baseball related).
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby TownDrunk » Sat May 28, 2005 1:47 am

What a jerk, this Bonds character is:

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/NASA ... sp&c_id=sf

SAN FRANCISCO -- Four fans had a dream experience Wednesday night at SBC Park. They met Barry Bonds before the Giants played the Dodgers and then watched the game while sitting in his seats behind home plate.

Johnny Arenas, a longtime Bonds and Giants fan from nearby Union City, was a winner of the May Fan Sweepstakes on barrybonds.com, Bonds' own Web site produced by Major League Baseball Advanced Media. The Giants slugger randomly picked the winner, who was among thousands to enter the contest by sending Bonds an e-mail.

"These people were really cool," said Bonds, who's continuing his rehab from surgery on his right knee and hasn't played this season. "I just picked the numbers like that. Boom. Boom. Boom. I'm glad to have them use my seats. It's just a great way of interacting with the fans."

For Arenas, who brought his mother, Rosemarie, his cousin, Phil Ronald, and his uncle, Kevin Moore, it was better than winning the lottery.

"I can't explain it," Arenas said. "After meeting so many people in your life, the excitement really dissipates. But when you meet him, someone at the icon level, it's much more. It's humbling in a way. It's fascinating. I can't put it in words. Oh my gosh. It's one of those experiences you have in your life that's never going to happen again."

Bonds picked three winners this month. Sarah, Paul and Andrew Roberts attended last Friday night's game against the Oakland A's, an 8-4 Giants loss. Carl Harrison, plus friends and/or family will sit in the four seats -- Section 119, Row F -- on Sunday for the end of the nine-game homestand against the Padres.

The seats were the stated prize, but a visit from Bonds was not billed and came as a complete surprise to the winners.

As the Dodgers took batting practice, Bonds went into the stands immediately behind the backstop and met with Wednesday night's winners, repeating his actions of Friday night. He spent about 10 minutes talking with them and signing autographs on baseballs and trading cards, plus he bent over to give Rosemarie Arenas a kiss on the cheek.

She said it was the first time she's ever attended a baseball game.

"The ballpark is marvelous," she said. "And Barry Bonds couldn't have been nicer. He's my son's favorite. I'm reminded of that every time I go into his room and see the pictures on the wall."

Johnny Arenas, who is a research scientist for Genentech Inc. and a Giants fan since the late 1970s, said that Bonds wasn't at all like his image is depicted.

"He's very down to earth, very personable," he said. "He's open. Genuine. A lot of personality. So many of the reports in the papers don't do him any justice. Even after he made the effort to speak to us, he made the point of taking care of other people who were standing around. Nobody has to do that.

And back on topic, yes Bonds has been in ongoing contact with the Giants all throughout this.
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby nuggets » Sat May 28, 2005 2:00 am

Johnny Arenas, who is a research scientist for Genentech Inc. and a Giants fan since the late 1970s, said that Bonds wasn't at all like his image is depicted.

"He's very down to earth, very personable," he said. "He's open. Genuine. A lot of personality. So many of the reports in the papers don't do him any justice. Even after he made the effort to speak to us, he made the point of taking care of other people who were standing around. Nobody has to do that."

;-D
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers