rumor: sweeney may go to angels - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

rumor: sweeney may go to angels

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Laean » Sat May 28, 2005 5:49 am

Wozzyck wrote:Honestly, I don't understand the excitement over Sweeney getting traded to the Angels, from the perspective of a fantasy owner. Either the Royals make the decision to keep Sweeney (which would be bad for his fantasy value), or they decide to trade him to the highest bidder. These bidders could include Texas, Anaheim, Boston, NY (either team), Atlanta, etc..

If the Royals do in fact trade Sweeney, Anaheim would be one of the places I would least like to see him go (amongst reasonable destinations). They play in, at best, a neutral park, their team doesn't get on base, and the only notable bats in the lineup are Vlad (of course) and the overrated Anderson (the rest is filler). You should be praying he goes to Texas.

hey hey c'mon now. they are just slumping at the moment ....

besides, as for me i was getting excited as an angels fan, not as a fantasy player. sweeney over davanon at DH? i'll take it. ;-D

oh and garret anderson is not overrated. 600+ at bats in 8 straight years with a career avg of .299, 7 straight years of around 190 hits, 4 straight years of around 30 hrs and 115+ rbis ... those seem pretty good to me. he would be overrated if people spoke of him in the same breadth as beltran or etc, but i personally haven't heard anyone do that. he doesn't walk or get too many runs, but that's not exactly his role.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wozzyck » Sat May 28, 2005 10:27 am

OK, Laean I'll take back the jab at Anderson. After being subjected to the laudatory drivel from the talking heads at ESPN a few of years ago, I'll always be a Garret-hata. He has been a model of consistency, even if that consistency is a ho-hum ~.820 OPS.

The Angels offense is certainly slumping, but they're not really that good anyway. Finley is likely done being an above-average outfielder offensively (perhaps even an average outfielder offensively). The rest of the lineup is Erstad :-P , Figgins, Cabrera, Molina, McPherson, DaVanon/Rivera. I'm sorry, there's not much to get excited about (unless you think McPherson will suddenly blossom).

In 2004, when they also had Guillen and part of a good season from Glaus, they were nothing special offensively, despite their reputation. Their runs scored and OBP were middle of the pack in the AL; the only teams they beat in OPS were Minnesota, Toronto, Seattle, Tampa Bay, and Kansas City. That's not good company.
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Sat May 28, 2005 12:00 pm

Phatferd wrote:Arrowhead, I am sorry, but if all the Royals fans are like you no wonder that organization has fallen into mediocrity. You can have Sweeney and finish in 4th or 5th place until 2007 or trade him clear up 11 million and still finish in 4th or 5th place.

Either way your team will live on the bottom of the AL Central, so why spend 11 million on 1 player? Free it up, get some prospects (not all 3 of the Angels top) sign a pitcher or 2, or even throw a lot of money at Jared Weaver or a top prospect in this years draft (assuming Weaver goes back in).

Your team is full of prospects there is no denying it. Trade your best player and build around those prospects not your old veteran player. Be happy with the unloaded salary and a player like Joe Saunders or Callaspo or even an Aybar. Hell maybe even Kotchman. You aren't going to get Kotchman and another top prospect. You may be able to get 2 of the others, but if Kotchman is in the deal it won't happen.

Then with the free 11 million, sign Weaver and you have a future ace or at least a number 2 or 3 starter. Put him with Grienke and hope Hernandez finds his form and hopefully another young pitcher comes from somewhere and you have a very solid base.

Sweeney is your key for all of this.

Or..we play likea MLB team and ADD, ADD, ADD salary with a new owner who wants to WIN, not MAKE a PROFIT!

Your speaking reality, I am speaking of what SHOULD happen. If I were owner for a day I would go trade for Beltran....Damon and Dye arent what they were here anyway, but thats another post.

You guys are speaking on what the ROyals are...a AAA, cheap team masquerading itself as a legit MLB team. I am speaking on what KC should be, and was for 20 years.....a contender every year.

So no, we dont trade Sweeney. We go out and.....

Trade Affeldt for Kearns
Trade Berroa for Gathright.
Trade Ken Harvey for whoever will take him.
Trade Jose Lima for whoever wants him.
Trade Brian Anderson for whoever wants him.
Trade Matt Stairs for whoever needs him.
Make Sisco a starter
and God forbid if we do trade Sweeney, get a Beltran like package for him....full of OFers, or SPers'

Or we somehow whack the owner

Someone earlier in this thread took a dumpon the package for Beltran.....We got two A-B level prospects and decent 4 or 5 SP. How much sir do you know about Teahan or Buck, or Wood. DO you know enough to make a "judgement" on them, or are you some fan from the coast who just makes sweeping generalizations about Kansas CIty.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Laean » Sat May 28, 2005 4:10 pm

Wozzyck wrote:OK, Laean I'll take back the jab at Anderson. After being subjected to the laudatory drivel from the talking heads at ESPN a few of years ago, I'll always be a Garret-hata. He has been a model of consistency, even if that consistency is a ho-hum ~.820 OPS.

The Angels offense is certainly slumping, but they're not really that good anyway. Finley is likely done being an above-average outfielder offensively (perhaps even an average outfielder offensively). The rest of the lineup is Erstad :-P , Figgins, Cabrera, Molina, McPherson, DaVanon/Rivera. I'm sorry, there's not much to get excited about (unless you think McPherson will suddenly blossom).

In 2004, when they also had Guillen and part of a good season from Glaus, they were nothing special offensively, despite their reputation. Their runs scored and OBP were middle of the pack in the AL; the only teams they beat in OPS were Minnesota, Toronto, Seattle, Tampa Bay, and Kansas City. That's not good company.

i admit his OPS is low for a slugger, but it's pretty hard to ignore 115+ RBIs from the cleanup spot. also, his low OPS is due to his lack of walks, not due to his lack of average or slugging %, which i would think are more important for a cleanup hitter than how much he walks. i guess it's kind of like how even if your ERA as a closer is around 3.90, if you've saved 44 out of 48 chances, it's kinda hard to argue with that.

i agree about finley.

they say erstad's defense saves a run as much as he would earn a run if he was a better slugger, i don't know if i agree with that but i'm just throwing it out there.

i actually happen to think figgins is a pretty useful player - can play anywhere, got tons of speed and the angels love to run

i also happen to think bengie molina is a great catcher. great defense and lots of power with decent average, it's only that he doesn't play too much, but then jose molina is almost just as good too. most teams don't have a javy or a young piazza anyway.

i agree with cabrera. he's overrated. nothing to get excited about in mcpherson this year.

i most definitely agree with you on davanon/rivera. hence sweeney would be great for the angels.

i didn't realize their offense was so unspecial in 2004. that's interesting.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dkakridas » Sat May 28, 2005 4:14 pm

bengie Molina a great catcher??? Did I just see the name Molina and great in the same sentence??? All the Molina's will be looking for a new team to play for next year or one of them may be lucky enough to be backing up Jeff Mathis for the Angels next year.

At least Jeff Mathis _could_ be a great catcher. He _could_ be the next great "total package" at the position.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Laean » Sat May 28, 2005 4:30 pm

dkakridas wrote:bengie Molina a great catcher??? Did I just see the name Molina and great in the same sentence??? All the Molina's will be looking for a new team to play for next year or one of them may be lucky enough to be backing up Jeff Mathis for the Angels next year.

At least Jeff Mathis _could_ be a great catcher. He _could_ be the next great "total package" at the position.

i don't get it. what's wrong with bengie? is it because you thought i meant as a fantasy catcher? in fantasy he's bad because he plays only about 350-400 at bats per season, even less than most catchers, but in real life, he has excellent defense and hits around .270 with some power. sure he's not a hall of famer or 1st round fantasy draft pick, but overall in real life baseball right now, he's great.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dkakridas » Sat May 28, 2005 5:03 pm

I think the way to describe Molina is solid, not great. Great is a word to describe catchers such as Johnny Bench, Carlton Fisk, Jason Varitek, Ivan Rodriguez- all star Catchers and then some.

IMHO, Molina is a stop gap until Mathis is ready. He's just solid, in reality and about average to below average in fantasy.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Strasil42 » Sat May 28, 2005 5:19 pm

toofunnyy wrote:"Sweeney is a top 10 AL hitter"

I think you meant top 10 1st basemen in the AL.

Lets hope so...
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Laean » Sat May 28, 2005 6:23 pm

dkakridas wrote:I think the way to describe Molina is solid, not great. Great is a word to describe catchers such as Johnny Bench, Carlton Fisk, Jason Varitek, Ivan Rodriguez- all star Catchers and then some.

IMHO, Molina is a stop gap until Mathis is ready. He's just solid, in reality and about average to below average in fantasy.

i guess it's just semantics then.

and i was talking real life, not fantasy.

also would like to say that i would imagine most people don't equate "great catchers" with "hall of fame catchers" which you seem to be doing.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Wozzyck » Sat May 28, 2005 7:18 pm

Laean wrote:they say erstad's defense saves a run as much as he would earn a run if he was a better slugger, i don't know if i agree with that but i'm just throwing it out there.

I realize you're only relaying the information, but that is absolutely preposterous. Who'd you hear that from? Tim McCarver?
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers