rumor: sweeney may go to angels - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

rumor: sweeney may go to angels

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: rumor: sweeney may go to angels

Postby Wozzyck » Fri May 27, 2005 9:45 am

spamnon wrote:that would be great for sweeney to hit in a lineup with guys who get on base.

2005 Team OBP:

Kansas City: .303
LA Angels: .295

}:-)
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dkakridas » Fri May 27, 2005 9:46 am

No way Angels will part will all of their top tier prospects for Sweeney- that's a pipe dream for KC homers.

Sweeney is aging and injury prone and just a bit pricey. KC is in a rebuilding mode and will be for some time. No reason to hold Sweeney hostage from tasting the playoffs and maybe getting a ring. His value will never be higher to wrestle away some more building blocks from the Angels, Sox or Rangers.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Fri May 27, 2005 9:50 am

Again.........who says we HAVE to deal him?

We should be ADDING parts, not subtracting them.

You all think cuz David Glass has screwed the ROyals and cuz they are a punchline, that we HAVE to deal our best player.

If they deal Sweeney the payroll would be 25 million.....not gonna happen....but OTOH, maybe Glass makes the deal and gets so much bad press he sells the team under immense personal pressure against he and his family, and gets the hell out of town.

Now, if we could do that, and get a owner who would then go acquire players, I would be for it and bite the bullet on Sweeney.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri May 27, 2005 10:56 am

You are right that the Royals do not HAVE to trade him. They can lose with him just as easily as they can lose without him. But if they don't trade him, they can watch him walk away for nothing when his contract expires

So, unless they've been ignorent of trading patterns over the last few years, they can either save his salary, but get little in return, or pay his salary and get much better prospects in return. I don't see the Angels as being THAT desperate for an injury-prone 1B to both trade away top prospects AND take on his salary. It is a pipe dream to expect both in today's marketplace.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Fri May 27, 2005 11:02 am

Buddy he is here through 2007....why trade him now, if all we get for him is crap????????

Sweeney is a top 10 AL hitter and all you guys are saying he isnt even worth a teams top prospect.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri May 27, 2005 11:27 am

I don't know - to get out from under his bloated $11M/year contract through 2007?

The last two years any team could have had Manny Ramirez (a much better hitter than Sweeney - and less injury-prone) for free - all they had to do was claim him off waivers. No team did because no one was willing to pay the salary.

Again, you're living a pipe dream (or Baird is) if you think any team will pay his salary AND trade top prospects to get him. Trading the last few years has changed from what it used to be.

And I'll have to disagree with a Top 10 AL hitter (unless the metric is number of days on the DL). He is a good hitter - when healthy. But he hasn't played in more than 126 games since 2001. Not to mention he hasn't had an OPS above .900 since 2002. His OPS would have ranked 25th in 2003, had he had enough PA to qualify and t-27th in 2004, again had he had enough PA to qualify. He is 9th now. Again, a good player. But not worth his salary - which is the reason a team won't trade away its top prospects AND pay his salary (which gets bumped to $12.5M should he be traded).
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri May 27, 2005 12:27 pm

Arrowhead Nation wrote:Why would KC not want ANA BEST prospects????

Jeff Mathis
Ervin Santana
Dallas MCPherson
Casey Kotchman

Those are the names that should be mentioned here. And with Dmac, we have Teshan, Mathis, we have Buck, Kotchman, we have Huber waiting.

SO it would be Ervin Santana, and KC already has some good young SP, but could use more.

However, ES isnt worth 1/2 of Sweeney.

Being in KC, the media has created a stroy that frankly shouldnt be there. KC doesnt HAVCE to trade him. They WOULD trade him if the PERFECT FIT came along...this is all from Allard Baird.

Sweeney to ANA, TEX???? Not unless........

The other team takes the contract (Why trade if your gonna ask us to eat the deal lol)
We get a Corner OF/SP
We get a team's TOP prospects.

Thats what I summise by hearing Baird speak about this daily by KC and national media looking for a story. Its like running my fantasy team. I wil deal anyone, even A-Rod, but the price has to be right. In saying something like that, its been brought out that KC is looking to move Sweeney.

Simply not true.

I might agree with you had Baird ever made a good trade. The ones for Beltran, Damon and Dye were not that good. Why do you think the Royals will become good at trading players all of a sudden?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Fri May 27, 2005 12:33 pm

Guys,
I guess what I am saying is what SHOULD happen, or what SHOULD be.

The fact is I was born a ROyals fan and the last 8 years they have become the laughingstock of MLB. What was once a baseball hotbed has been ruined by a cheap owner and more bad drafting than good (due to cheapness)

So forgive me if I dont wanna see us sell of Mike Sweeney for the Angels #34 prospect.

I have seriously deranged thoughts sometimes about wanting to harrass DSavid Glass until he croaks or sells this team to someone willing to spend $50-$70 million a year on a frickin team.

Now you see where I am coming from.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Fri May 27, 2005 12:51 pm

I doubt the Angels will give up Kotchman, McPherson, Mathis, Aybar, Santana, or even Brandon Wood. Nor do they really have to. The Royals are cheap (they would probably love the cap relief) and have not gotten great deals in the past, either. The Beltran deal was awful. Even though his deal was expiring, getting a decent player in Mark Teahen (average power for 3B...Joe Randa type baseball player), an okay catcher in Joe Buck, and an average pitcher in Mike Wood. That's hardly a good package there.

That makes me believe that the Angels can pull something off with one of their second-tier prospects. Their system is so deep that those players are still quite good. SP Joe Saunders, 2B Howie Kendrick, SS Alberto Callaspo, SP Stephen Shell...all would be possibilities, IMO. Maybe they'll throw in another half-decent farmhand to sweeten the pot.

From the Angels POV, why don't they just call up Kotchman? The man can hit and reminds me a lot of Sweeney. Perhaps a tad bit less power, but they're both great (and injury-prone) hitters.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers