rumor: sweeney may go to angels - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

rumor: sweeney may go to angels

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

rumor: sweeney may go to angels

Postby spamnon » Fri May 27, 2005 12:27 am

just heard it on ESPN from Buster Olney, he said with vladdy out angels have been struggling to score and sweeney is from orange county so that would make for a good fit. that would be great for sweeney to hit in a lineup with guys who get on base. I guess we will wait and see.
spamnon
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: rumor: sweeney may go to angels

Postby thehat » Fri May 27, 2005 1:51 am

spamnon wrote:just heard it on ESPN from Buster Olney, he said with vladdy out angels have been struggling to score and sweeney is from orange county so that would make for a good fit. that would be great for sweeney to hit in a lineup with guys who get on base. I guess we will wait and see.

This makes some sense. Halos have the bucks and the prospects to make this happen.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Howie » Fri May 27, 2005 1:52 am

yeah sweeney would make a great fit. i'd be estatic if he came to the angels ;-D
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Titanic Grizzlie » Fri May 27, 2005 2:20 am

I saw this too. Olney was just blabbing though. It's no tlike he cited any sources or anything. He was just throwing out a scenario. In other words, in my book this is even one notch below a rumor.
Titanic Grizzlie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Fri May 27, 2005 2:31 am

Titanic Grizzlie wrote:I saw this too. Olney was just blabbing though. It's no tlike he cited any sources or anything. He was just throwing out a scenario. In other words, in my book this is even one notch below a rumor.

Respectfully disagree. First of all, he's supposed to analyze in addition to reporting news, so it's part of his job on ESPN. Secondly, it's hardly that much of a long shot.

Sweeney is very likely to be dealt. There are very few available suitors due to his contract. The Angels are one of about three teams that can take on his contract and part with legit prospects in the process.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Laean » Fri May 27, 2005 6:22 am

i really hope he stays healthy if he goes to the angels.

this would be great though, since the angels got so much depth and no real big slugger in DH or 1B.

erstad is a great defensive 1B, and they say he saves at least a run each game, so he's not a liability offensively when you look at it that way, which maybe be an exaggeration or true or whatever - i don't know, but having figgins and davanon and rivera and such DHing doesn't seem too great to me.

they were supposed to be able to let go of glaus and guillen because they were getting mcpherson and finley, but it was always pretty obvious that wasn't going to be a good enough replacement for losing 1/2 of the G-Force.

this trade would also (hopefully) clear up some playing positions for figgins so that he could have a regular position and play every single day, because i really think he's more useful to the angels than a lot of the other players (adam kennedy, jeff davanon, etc).

a lineup of

figgins 2B
erstad 1B
guererro RF
GA LF
sweeney DH
finley CF
bengie C
mcpherson 3B
cabrera SS

would be freakin' awesome. i really don't like adam kennedy ....
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dkakridas » Fri May 27, 2005 9:28 am

If Sweeney went to the Angels, who do you think the Royals would get back. Sweeney at DH would pretty much make Morales in the cold.

How about this as a package-

Kendry Morales
Howie Kendrick
Jeff Davanon
Steve Shell

for Sweeney
and Stairs (pinch hitter off the bench)

Kendry comes right up and starts at first, Davanon starts in LF, Kendrick, Shell to Omaha

This would really be a nice package to help the Royals.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TB13 » Fri May 27, 2005 9:30 am

Everything that I have heard/read says that the Angels want to make this deal, but refuse to pick up a good portion of Sweeney's salar. As such, this will not get done. KC is not trading him unless someone else foots the bill.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dkakridas » Fri May 27, 2005 9:35 am

there are only a handful of teams that _can_ foot that bill and Angels are one of them. I am sure if the prospects are right, KC will bend on the salary demand. Everyone out there knows KC has to make a Sweeney deal. They don't have much bargaining power in this situation.

The darkhorse team I see out there is the Red Sox. They have the money, they have the prospects, they have the need. Their offense is scuffling right now and Sweeney would be an immediate fan favorite there. He wants to play for a contender- Boston is the ultimate contender. I am sure the Royals could use a guy like Youkilis, Pedroia, Stern, Shppach, Abe Alvarez, etc. Don't count out the Sox in this.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Fri May 27, 2005 9:42 am

Why would KC not want ANA BEST prospects????

Jeff Mathis
Ervin Santana
Dallas MCPherson
Casey Kotchman

Those are the names that should be mentioned here. And with Dmac, we have Teshan, Mathis, we have Buck, Kotchman, we have Huber waiting.

SO it would be Ervin Santana, and KC already has some good young SP, but could use more.

However, ES isnt worth 1/2 of Sweeney.

Being in KC, the media has created a stroy that frankly shouldnt be there. KC doesnt HAVCE to trade him. They WOULD trade him if the PERFECT FIT came along...this is all from Allard Baird.

Sweeney to ANA, TEX???? Not unless........

The other team takes the contract (Why trade if your gonna ask us to eat the deal lol)
We get a Corner OF/SP
We get a team's TOP prospects.

Thats what I summise by hearing Baird speak about this daily by KC and national media looking for a story. Its like running my fantasy team. I wil deal anyone, even A-Rod, but the price has to be right. In saying something like that, its been brought out that KC is looking to move Sweeney.

Simply not true.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers