Beltran on his butt for four more games - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran on his butt for four more games

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Simulacrum » Tue May 31, 2005 10:55 am

Anyone think Beltran will start today's game? Is anyone going to start him even if he does play today? :-?
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Irish » Tue May 31, 2005 10:58 am

What is Beltran worth at this point??? I was going to offer Garrett Anderson and Berkman for him, but I'm even second guessign that at this point (especially since I could use those guys to swing a deal with Helton)

Anyone see him as a top 50 guy and not a top 10 guy now? Will he put up Garret Anderson-like numbers essentially?
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby great gretzky » Tue May 31, 2005 1:35 pm

i don't know -- but his valuation is hard. Im considering trying to move him for chipper and rollins, but the perception on that one could cut two ways.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby KolbSaves » Tue May 31, 2005 1:50 pm

There's a lot of the season left and with him catching fire like he did at the end of the season last year (Minute Maid or not) I have to think he's capable of breaking out. It all depends on how much he's going to run. Willy seems to let Reyes run, who's had leg problems, and Wright run, who's the future of the organization, so I think the notion that Beltran is not allowed to run because he is the franchise is misguided. I'll attribute the lack of steals to his latent quad injury and maybe he won't rack up 40 this year but 20-30 is expected from my end.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jblank » Tue May 31, 2005 1:52 pm

KolbSaves wrote:There's a lot of the season left and with him catching fire like he did at the end of the season last year (Minute Maid or not) I have to think he's capable of breaking out. It all depends on how much he's going to run. Willy seems to let Reyes run, who's had leg problems, and Wright run, who's the future of the organization, so I think the notion that Beltran is not allowed to run because he is the franchise is misguided. I'll attribute the lack of steals to his latent quad injury and maybe he won't rack up 40 this year but 20-30 is expected from my end.

I would agree with you, but it looks like this injury is lingering to some degree, so you have to wonder when he is gonna come back and if he does will he just not steal at all in order to protect against the prospect of reinjuring the quad?

This has to diminish his value substantially I would think.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Irish » Tue May 31, 2005 2:06 pm

jblank wrote:
KolbSaves wrote:There's a lot of the season left and with him catching fire like he did at the end of the season last year (Minute Maid or not) I have to think he's capable of breaking out. It all depends on how much he's going to run. Willy seems to let Reyes run, who's had leg problems, and Wright run, who's the future of the organization, so I think the notion that Beltran is not allowed to run because he is the franchise is misguided. I'll attribute the lack of steals to his latent quad injury and maybe he won't rack up 40 this year but 20-30 is expected from my end.

Let's say he gets 10 steals, just considering worst case scenario.

With his other numbers, how much is he worth? Decent average, mediocre power numbers. Are we talking Brian Giles numbers now?
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby This is the year » Tue May 31, 2005 2:15 pm

Irish wrote:Let's say he gets 10 steals, just considering worst case scenario.

With his other numbers, how much is he worth? Decent average, mediocre power numbers. Are we talking Brian Giles numbers now?

I made the exact same comparison about 2 weeks ago here:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=127951

Edited: correct link
Last edited by This is the year on Tue May 31, 2005 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KolbSaves » Tue May 31, 2005 2:15 pm

Even if he only gets 10 steals I think his power potential is a lot greater than Giles. I'd still look for a .280 avg, 30+ hr, 100+ runs and rbi once he invariably gets hot.
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Irish » Tue May 31, 2005 2:20 pm

KolbSaves wrote:Even if he only gets 10 steals I think his power potential is a lot greater than Giles. I'd still look for a .280 avg, 30+ hr, 100+ runs and rbi once he invariably gets hot.

Aren't those Houston HR numbers? Do you see the same number in NY?
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Tue May 31, 2005 2:25 pm

Irish wrote:
KolbSaves wrote:Even if he only gets 10 steals I think his power potential is a lot greater than Giles. I'd still look for a .280 avg, 30+ hr, 100+ runs and rbi once he invariably gets hot.

Aren't those Houston HR numbers? Do you see the same number in NY?

Beltran hit 23 hr on the road last year and 15 at home. Out of those home hr, 8 were hit in Kauffman during 36 games and 7 were hit at Minute Maid in 42 games.

Beltran can hit for power, but he does tend to sacrifice some average to do it, it seems like.
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers