Lets talk Davies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lets talk Davies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Fri May 27, 2005 12:20 am

I keep reading his stuff isn't that good.. but as mentioned his K/9 is really good. And why not ask Manny how good his stuff is. Struck him out on 3 straight pitches and twice in the game. Everything I've ever heard or read on Davies had him being the best pitching prospect in the Braves farm as well. Seeing him pitch live in Boston I never saw him get rattled when he had runners on base. But maybe pitching with the lead helped calm him down. His pitches seemed to have good movement on them keeping batters off balance. Rookies are going to have their ups and downs but working with an organization like the Braves is only going to help him when he has his downs.

Of intresting note that I saw in an article on CBS- Davies is the first Atlanta starter to win his debut since David Nied in 1992 at the New York Mets.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Fri May 27, 2005 1:54 am

Pedro wrote:You go from saying he doesn't have the stuff to be a major league starter to saying he's okay to saying he could be a #2 or #3 and then to that he's going to get lit up when the league seems him a few more times. Do you understand the absurdity in that?

what is your trip? :-o

you haven't been around in a year, and then you come back and start attacking people and calling people out.
I went back through your first five or six posts since you returned, and all you have done is try and pick a fight in almost each and everyone of them. Even speaking to a few mods about it, they tell me they have even had to delte a few of your posts recently cus you are so over the top ...

so what gives?
Boyfriend not stroking you the right way?
Mommaleaving the crust on the bread of your sandwich?
What is it?

I've had about enough of "Pedro" personally ..
Oh and if you wanna pick one ... I am here for ya. ;-7
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 732)

Postby Darkie Satchels » Fri May 27, 2005 9:55 am

Pedro wrote:Flip flop, flip flop.

God I hate that term. Quit analizing everyone. I'm sure if we went back we could find some discrepency with a post or two of yours. Play nice. :-D

Great indie Music Website: http://www.pensatos.com
Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bd3521 » Sun May 29, 2005 10:38 pm

INJURY REPORT
Rib cage - Status uncertain
(Updated - 5/26/05)

Any update on Davies?
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby brandnew » Mon May 30, 2005 3:56 am

Davies is making his next start, he's fine.

AA, I respect a lot of what you've posted, but I have to say, you really are completely 100% wrong on Davies. Maybe for this year, he'll be average, but this kid IS a stud, and IS a top prospect. Fine, he doesn't throw 98. But this kid knows how to pitch, he's absolutely fearless on the mound, great makeup. He works both sides of the plate with great ease, very good control. He can throw 93 right now, and many scouts have said that he's able to get it up to 95, and will get up there with developing and strength. He's got a pretty good 12-6 curve, that's just good at this point, but is getting better. That's just a complimentary pitch.

Here's the part where you're just completely wrong. He doesn't have an above average pitch? His changeup is just filthy. His arm action is exactly the same as his fastball, and that thing just dies. He made numerous Boston hitters look foolish with that pitch. It's just nasty.

The kid has very good stuff, KNOWS how to pitch, and has the best pitching coach in the game on his side. I don't see how you can say he's a #3 starter at best. That's your opinion I guess, but I strongly disagree with it, and I bet there are many scouts and pitching coaches who agree with me.

If Davies strengthens up and is able to throw up to 95, 96 on the gun, the best comparison I've heard is Jason Schmidt. At this point, a Right Handed Tom Glavine is a good comparison I've heard, too.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Darkie Satchels » Mon May 30, 2005 5:10 pm

He had a solid game but gave up 2 runs. I think he had 5Ks in 6 innings of play.

Great indie Music Website: http://www.pensatos.com
Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Mon May 30, 2005 5:33 pm

brandnew wrote:If Davies strengthens up and is able to throw up to 95, 96 on the gun, the best comparison I've heard is Jason Schmidt. At this point, a Right Handed Tom Glavine is a good comparison I've heard, too.

Don't you find it somewhat odd that the best comparisons you came up with are two completely opposite pitchers?

Anyways I think Davies will be a good young SP, because he has good control and knows how to pitch well.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby tvv44 » Mon May 30, 2005 5:43 pm

so what gives?
Boyfriend not stroking you the right way?
Mommaleaving the crust on the bread of your sandwich?
What is it?

Good Stuff :-D

My momma always cut the crusts off my bread ;-D

You need to give Davies some time. He'll be good sometime, but if you're starting him this year - your taking a risk of getting hurt badly. Just my two cents...You guys can keep arguing about it now.
tvv44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brandnew » Mon May 30, 2005 6:02 pm

hybrid wrote:
brandnew wrote:If Davies strengthens up and is able to throw up to 95, 96 on the gun, the best comparison I've heard is Jason Schmidt. At this point, a Right Handed Tom Glavine is a good comparison I've heard, too.

Don't you find it somewhat odd that the best comparisons you came up with are two completely opposite pitchers?

Anyways I think Davies will be a good young SP, because he has good control and knows how to pitch well.

The only reason they are "opposites" is because of their velocities. Glavine is in the 80's, while Schmidt is in the high 90's. The two comparisons were given because Davies is somewhere between those two, his velocity is like a median between their two velocities. He's got the potential to get up closer to Schmidt's velocity, or he can remain at his 92-93 that he throws now. It's mainly because they both have filthy changeups. Schmidt has a good slider to pair with his changeup, and Davies has a curve and slider that he uses that he can develop into above average pitches.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hybrid » Mon May 30, 2005 7:07 pm

Glavine is a soft tossing lefty that must rely on control to be effective. Schmidt is a hard throwing right hander that has power stuff and blows it by hitters. They are opposites cause they don't have anything really in common.

Also nothing personal, but how does he have the potential to throw harder? When people talk about prospects and how some could throw harder later on, it's due to a few reasons. Davies really doesn't fit into them, his body has already matured for the most part. He recently fixed his mechanics just so he could throw in the low 90's, just seems like a pipe dream that you think he can add even more velocity. Davies mainly just throws 90-91 for the most part with his fastball, though he can add some to it.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers