Lets talk Davies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lets talk Davies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu May 26, 2005 8:20 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:It's not like Davies came out of nowhere as he's gotten some recognition for being a pretty good prospect, just being a little short of some of the more elite prospects. He probably could have used a little more time in the minors though.

John Sickels, whom I find to be very respectable to evaluate prospects I don't have much info on, graded him a B+ prospect prior to this season.

Absolutely. If what I read was true, he was named the best 15 year old in the US by BA (When he was 15, natch). But he's young. His greatest strength is not his stuff but his poise - and Atlanata has a pretty solid rotation already.

I don't think he's going to be a star, but he will be okay. I'm thinking that he could be a #2 or a #3. But not this year. Once the league sees him a few more times, he'll be in trouble. Fortunately for Braves fans, though, they'll have Hampton/Thompson back by then. But once the league sees him a few more times, he's going to get lit up.

Don't jump on the bandwagon unless you want to be in a 10 car pileup.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedro » Thu May 26, 2005 9:15 pm

You go from saying he doesn't have the stuff to be a major league starter to saying he's okay to saying he could be a #2 or #3 and then to that he's going to get lit up when the league seems him a few more times. Do you understand the absurdity in that?
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu May 26, 2005 10:04 pm

Pedro wrote:You go from saying he doesn't have the stuff to be a major league starter to saying he's okay to saying he could be a #2 or #3 and then to that he's going to get lit up when the league seems him a few more times. Do you understand the absurdity in that?

I don't know what your problem is. But I didn't mean he didn't have the stuff to be a major league starter. I meant that I didn't think he was going to be a major league starter this year. It was my understanding that the question was more about this year than some future time.

Maybe I should have been more clear. So here you go. He isn't going to be Doc Gooden. He doesn't have the stuff to be that good right away. He'll eventually make it as a #3 starter - #2 if Mazzone finds some magic someplace. He's not a top prospect. And I wouldn't hitch my wagon to him this year.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Members Only Jackets » Thu May 26, 2005 10:12 pm

Yoda wrote:According to BA, he has great command of his fastball. 12-5 curve with a nasty bite but needs more consistency. His change up is the best in the system. The kid has the goods and his confidence must be sky high from his two great outings. Plus how can you go wrong with a Braves pitching prospect nowadays?

Put me on the bandwagon.

His name kept popping up everytime I read articles on good young pitchers...I think he can be a #1 or #2 from all i've heard & read on the guy...yeah, he'll have his bumpy roads here & there but I like his upside.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pedro » Thu May 26, 2005 10:54 pm

don't know what to think about Davies, honestly. None of his pitches are very good

I wouldn't be surprised if he pitched a few good games and then imploded spectacularly

He just doesn't have the stuff to be a major league starter.

sees him a few more times, he'll be in trouble. But once the league sees him a few more times, he's going to get lit up.

Flip flop, flip flop. Kyle Davies is going to be a stud in this league, and he needs no more time to develop. He is fearless on the mound, and his stuff is good enough for him to be a legitimate #2 starter right now.

The Braves organization also rated him higher than both Jose Capellan and Dan Meyer ( "Top prospects" ), and they refused to deal him for Tim Hudson so the A's settled for Meyer as reported by Bill Shanks and Peter Gammons. Sorry, but you lose.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jbones733 » Thu May 26, 2005 11:01 pm

2 words - Leo Mazzone , ill take a chance w any young brave pitcher or any brave pitcher in general, kid is their top prospect, im sure he will have his ups & downs but hell be good, real nice for a keeper
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu May 26, 2005 11:35 pm

jbones733 wrote:2 words - Leo Mazzone , ill take a chance w any young brave pitcher or any brave pitcher in general, kid is their top prospect, im sure he will have his ups & downs but hell be good, real nice for a keeper

A few years ago, Bruce Chen was their top pitching prospect...
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu May 26, 2005 11:46 pm

Pedro wrote:don't know what to think about Davies, honestly. None of his pitches are very good

I wouldn't be surprised if he pitched a few good games and then imploded spectacularly

He just doesn't have the stuff to be a major league starter.

sees him a few more times, he'll be in trouble. But once the league sees him a few more times, he's going to get lit up.

Flip flop, flip flop. Kyle Davies is going to be a stud in this league, and he needs no more time to develop. He is fearless on the mound, and his stuff is good enough for him to be a legitimate #2 starter right now.

The Braves organization also rated him higher than both Jose Capellan and Dan Meyer ( "Top prospects" ), and they refused to deal him for Tim Hudson so the A's settled for Meyer as reported by Bill Shanks and Peter Gammons. Sorry, but you lose.

Actually, I'll "lose" if you turn out to be right. So far, you've just given your opinion much like I've given mine. '

Out of curiousity, where is this report by Shanks and/or Gammons? Is there a link?
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby George_Foreman » Thu May 26, 2005 11:49 pm

yeah. to be honest, the top braves SP to come out of the system since glavine/smoltz is the solid-but-not-spectacular kevin millwood. mazzone has had TONs of success turning mediocre FAs in to brilliant pitchers (a la jaret wright), but the braves really haven't had a stud arm come up through the system in a while. (although their farm has produced good bats like a. jones, furcal, and m. giles)

i think he's a fine guy to take a chance on (no real reason not to), but for now i would play matchups. AA is absolutly accurate ( sorry... ;-7 ) when he says that the league will start getting a better feel for what he does in a few more starts. the sox were very much uprepared for him, since not only was it his major league debut, but he got called up very shortly before he made it, so i doubt that had time to get much material together or even send advanced scouts to see him pitch. the same is true but to a lesser extent for the mets. i think now that teams have some tape on the kid they'll start to hit him a little better. it is of note that both games he left he had pitch counts nearing 100, so it's not like he hasn't been getting himself in any trouble.

anyhow, i picked him up in one league where i've been hit hard by injuries, and i'm taking a wait-and-see approach to starting him later this week. i wouldn't have very high expectations for him this year, but i don't see why he couldn't round out in to a solid #2 fantasy guy. his k/bb ratio is really quite good thus far.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WalkOffHomer » Fri May 27, 2005 12:00 am

I'd say Odalis Perez, Jason Marquis and Jason Schmidt are pretty good pitchers that came through the Atlanta system too!
WalkOffHomer
T-Ball Trainer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers