Collusion? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Collusion?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bd3521 » Thu May 26, 2005 1:06 pm

In a points based league like this steals dont even matter much. Look at the projections for each player
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1082
Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Northern NJ

Postby RugbyD » Thu May 26, 2005 1:24 pm

bd3521 wrote:In a points based league like this steals dont even matter much. Look at the projections for each player


who's projections are those? if they are not the projections of the poeple involved in the trade, then they mean nothing.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby Dans » Thu May 26, 2005 1:36 pm

are those projections from the beginning of the season? If so, I'd say they mean nothing. Same with the # pick each of them went. Just because Beltran went #3 overall doesn't mean he's the #3 best player today. This doesn't look like collusion.
Dans
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1092
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 21 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bd3521 » Thu May 26, 2005 3:38 pm

RugbyD wrote:
bd3521 wrote:In a points based league like this steals dont even matter much. Look at the projections for each player


who's projections are those? if they are not the projections of the poeple involved in the trade, then they mean nothing.


Those are CBS's projections. They will be rather close at the end of the season. Those players have a good chance being very close to those numbers because of the system 1, 2, 3, 4 for each base. 1 RBI & RUN etc.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1082
Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Northern NJ

Postby bd3521 » Thu May 26, 2005 3:42 pm

Dans wrote:are those projections from the beginning of the season? If so, I'd say they mean nothing. Same with the # pick each of them went. Just because Beltran went #3 overall doesn't mean he's the #3 best player today. This doesn't look like collusion.


I understand your point but I don't buy it. If your trading Beltran for a top 4 round player, fine. You always have to consider where you draft your stud(s) when making a trade. There is no way you make a trade not knowing who you spent your #1 pick on. This is how we rank and 'project' players going into each season.

The players he is receiving have pretty low ceilings and do not have the power numbers to excel in this system. Beltran does by far. It is clearly a super buy low on Beltran, and a nice buy low on Furcal.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1082
Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Northern NJ

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Thu May 26, 2005 4:09 pm

bd3521 wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
bd3521 wrote:In a points based league like this steals dont even matter much. Look at the projections for each player


who's projections are those? if they are not the projections of the poeple involved in the trade, then they mean nothing.


Those are CBS's projections. They will be rather close at the end of the season. Those players have a good chance being very close to those numbers because of the system 1, 2, 3, 4 for each base. 1 RBI & RUN etc.


You obviously feel like this is collusion even though no one else agrees with you. And I realize nothing said will change your mind. However, you have no idea whether the points for any of these players will end up being close or not. I mean, I doubt Javy's projections are going to be close now that he's missing 6 weeks.

The guy made a trade for what he preceived to be a need. He may believe (whether you agree with him or not) that Beltran and/or Furcal won't perform to the levels CBS expects. While it certainly isn't the best trade, IMHO, nothing you have provided smacks of collusion.

I agree with the other poster than almost any trade of a 1st round draft pick gets calls of collusion unless another 1st rounder is involved, regardless of the strengths and weaknesses of the respective teams.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2095
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby bd3521 » Thu May 26, 2005 4:15 pm

Yeah I understand all your points, Its just pretty clear that the owner doesn't have a good feel for the game or the scoring system.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1082
Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Northern NJ

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Thu May 26, 2005 4:20 pm

It's not collusion, no, but for me it does not have to be to object to a trade. Trades aren't made in vacumns, they affect the entire league. You play these games for fun with the expectation that you have a chance to win. When you have an owner, through collusion, stupidity, whatever, that through trades affects the competitive balance of the league, it eliminates any reason to play. The notion that only collusion should be the cause of objecting to a trade is nonsense.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 892
Joined: 8 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Thu May 26, 2005 4:39 pm

bd3521 wrote:Yeah I understand all your points, Its just pretty clear that the owner doesn't have a good feel for the game or the scoring system.


if these are your thoughts, then why did you ask if this was collusion?

if anything is clear, it is that you think too highly of your own opinions, no offense.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby bd3521 » Thu May 26, 2005 4:41 pm

Because I'm brilliant and just shined up my fantasy baseball crystal ball ;-)
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1082
Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Northern NJ

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact