Lyon's MRI raises concern,Valverde to share duties w/Bruney? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lyon's MRI raises concern,Valverde to share duties w/Bruney?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lyon's MRI raises concern,Valverde to share duties w/Bruney?

Postby Bobby Baseball » Thu May 26, 2005 11:19 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2068761

PHOENIX -- The mystery of Arizona Diamondbacks closer Brandon Lyon's elbow problem deepened Wednesday when team physician Michael Lee said he couldn't predict when Lyon would be able to return.

Lyon said he was going to take 10 days off, under doctor's orders.

"You come in these last few days thinking there's going to be nothing there, it's just going to be gone away, it's obviously a little bit frustrating," he said. "But when there's something in there, you want to take it and make sure there's no further damage."

Lyon went on the disabled list May 18, retroactive to May 13, with what the team said was a flexor mass strain in his right elbow.

In the last two days, Lyon has had two MRIs.

The second revealed "some changes of the ulnar collateral ligament" in the joint, and Lee wanted a second opinion before deciding on treatment. He said he was leaning toward Los Angeles Angels team orthopedist Lewis Yocum, who has been treating Barry Bonds' right knee, to provide the second review of the workup.

"We don't feel that [Lyon] is ready to go back out at this point in time, and we have to kind of make some decisions based on further interpretation," Lee said.

After another shaky outing by Brian Bruney, who gave up two runs in the ninth inning of a 12-11 win over the San Diego Padres, Arizona manager Bob Melvin said Jose Valverde might figure in the interim-closer equation.

"I haven't been afraid to mix and match and do what I think is the prudent thing," Melvin said. "Now, Valverde is throwing well enough to where that would be a guy I would look at."

Lyon, 25, was leading the NL with 13 saves when he began to experience elbow pain.

The right-hander missed the entire 2004 season after having surgery on the ulnar nerve in his elbow, but Lee said the existing problem stemmed from a new injury.

"It's not related to the nerve injury he had before nor the surgical process for the repair of that either," Lee said. "This is a different anatomical region that we're concerned about."

He said irregularities were found "in the mid-portion of the ligament," which generally appears strong and healthy, and stressed that he was taking great care because of Lyon's importance to the team.

"We want to make sure that we do everything to ensure that when he comes back he will come back in full force and without a region predisposing him to further injury," Lee said.

Double Deuce Ranch
Bobby Baseball
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Simulacrum » Thu May 26, 2005 11:26 am

As a Lyon owner and D-Back enthusiast....... crap. :-°

But I've also been a fan of Valverde's stuff for a while now and I'm glad to see it looks like he'll get the nod over Bruney here. Bruney is just plain awful, I've seen him tank more times than I can count. Valverde's fastball is finally re-gaining some of it's lethalness. For Melvin to mention Valverde and say publicly that he'll take time away from Bruney makes me think Val will be more or less the man.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Bobby Baseball » Thu May 26, 2005 11:34 am

[quote="_Simulacrum_"]As a Lyon owner and D-Back enthusiast....... crap. :-°

But I've also been a fan of Valverde's stuff for a while now and I'm glad to see it looks like he'll get the nod over Bruney here. Bruney is just plain awful, I've seen him tank more times than I can count. Valverde's fastball is finally re-gaining some of it's lethalness. For Melvin to mention Valverde and say publicly that he'll take time away from Bruney makes me think Val will be more or less the man.[/quote]

That's how I took it as well. You don't just come right out and say that, then don't hand him the ball. It looks like Valverde may grab the job and by the looks of the Lyon news, it could be long term. One thing is certain, who ever closes for Arizona is valuable because they play so many close games.

Double Deuce Ranch
Bobby Baseball
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu May 26, 2005 11:39 am

YES!!!

I have been scrapping and clawing for cheap saves for a few weeks now (after dealing Graves ;-D ), and just went and grabbed Valverde 3 days ago hoping that this would happen. WOO HOO!
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bobby Baseball » Thu May 26, 2005 11:46 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:YES!!!

I have been scrapping and clawing for cheap saves for a few weeks now (after dealing Graves ;-D ), and just went and grabbed Valverde 3 days ago hoping that this would happen. WOO HOO!

;-D nice when it works out that way. nothing is certain tho, playing the closer game is a exercise in futility.

Double Deuce Ranch
Bobby Baseball
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ultrazero » Thu May 26, 2005 12:18 pm

so is it time to drop bruney and pick up valverde then?
ultrazero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stumpak » Thu May 26, 2005 12:27 pm

I too have long thought Valverde has been destined to be a capable closer. After his early stumbles coming back from injury, he looks to be his old self and I have every confidence he will take the job from Bruney if he gets the chance.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu May 26, 2005 12:41 pm

He's only pitched 9 innings and let up 5 er's!! Thats not very good!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu May 26, 2005 12:51 pm

acsguitar wrote:He's only pitched 9 innings and let up 5 er's!! Thats not very good!

Be careful - 3 came against PIT - and he didnt record an out. :-o

Take that bad performance out and he has been relatively solid.
Also - Wasnt he coming back from injury this spring so its understandable he had a couple rough outings to begin the season?

Hes gone 5.2 IP, 5H, 1ER, 0BB, 8Ks for the last 2 weeks. Looks like he's settling in nicely.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Darkie Satchels » Thu May 26, 2005 12:59 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't jump on the Valverde wagon just yet. I simply put him on the DL and picked up rotational starters for the next two weeks like Davies and McCarthy. I have Ryan & Billy Wagner, Nathan, and Bernero as well. Last thing you want to see is an ERA implosion care of Val.

Great indie Music Website: http://www.pensatos.com
Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers