Props to Pujols... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Props to Pujols...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thehat » Fri May 27, 2005 2:06 am

Note to Madison: Trying to focus on just about anything is basically impossible if your two year old is involved. I speak from experience on this subject.

Actually, I have a bit of a problem with parents bringing toddlers to a baseball game. I'm not condemning those who insist on dragging their little ones along, but I've never liked it, and basically have to wonder what the parents are thinking. The kid can't possibly derive anything positive from the experience, and they're frequently a nuisance to those within his or her proximity.

Same thing holds true for nicer restaurants. Someone needs to tell these folks that while their lives may need to revolve around their children, mine doesn't.

Sorry for the slight rant, but this has always been a pet peeve of mine.

As for Pujols, more proof that he's one of the good guys in the game.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 3721
Joined: 1 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fabulous Las Vegas

Postby Madison » Fri May 27, 2005 2:35 am

thehat wrote:Note to Madison: Trying to focus on just about anything is basically impossible if your two year old is involved. I speak from experience on this subject.


I've got a 6 year old (soon to be 7) and took him to his first game this year. ;-D

I understand that it's hard to keep up with the kiddos, but anyone with half a brain is aware that balls go sailing into the stands at a baseball game and can cause major injury and even death to a 2 year old. If you're going to take a 2 year old, then make sure you have the ability to pay attention to the ball at all times, after all, that kid's life could be in your hands. Shame more parents don't think things all the way through. This kid got lucky and lived, will the next one?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby thehat » Fri May 27, 2005 2:47 am

Madison wrote:
thehat wrote:Note to Madison: Trying to focus on just about anything is basically impossible if your two year old is involved. I speak from experience on this subject.


I've got a 6 year old (soon to be 7) and took him to his first game this year. ;-D

I understand that it's hard to keep up with the kiddos, but anyone with half a brain is aware that balls go sailing into the stands at a baseball game and can cause major injury and even death to a 2 year old. If you're going to take a 2 year old, then make sure you have the ability to pay attention to the ball at all times, after all, that kid's life could be in your hands. Shame more parents don't think things all the way through. This kid got lucky and lived, will the next one?


That's my point, Mad...it can't be done, in terms of paying attention to the ball at all times if you have a toddler in hand. And that's why parents should not be bringing a child that small to the game in the first place.

Your kid is at the perfect age to introduce to the game. He's old enough to find something to interest him even if the attention span wanders from the actual game (and if he's with a hard-core seamhead like you that's unlikely ;-D ). And he's old enough to not be a pain in the butt to others sitting in the vicinity that may not be related.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 3721
Joined: 1 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fabulous Las Vegas

Postby josebach » Fri May 27, 2005 10:23 am

Madison wrote:I've got a 6 year old (soon to be 7) and took him to his first game this year. ;-D


So you're telling me that both you and your child watched every single pitch? Never reached for a coke or hotdog? Never went to the restroom or stood up out of your seat for somebody to get by?

I honestly don't know what to say to that.

And yes, a professional athlete that fractures a 2 year old kid's skull to the point that he had a brain hemorrhage has an obligation to check up on the kid... period. I'm not saying that Pujols isn't a great guy. I'm saying he's not a great guy just because he visited a kid he put in the hospital for multiple days.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2036
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

Postby Simulacrum » Fri May 27, 2005 1:17 pm

thehat wrote:Note to Madison: Trying to focus on just about anything is basically impossible if your two year old is involved. I speak from experience on this subject.

Actually, I have a bit of a problem with parents bringing toddlers to a baseball game. I'm not condemning those who insist on dragging their little ones along, but I've never liked it, and basically have to wonder what the parents are thinking. The kid can't possibly derive anything positive from the experience, and they're frequently a nuisance to those within his or her proximity.

Same thing holds true for nicer restaurants. Someone needs to tell these folks that while their lives may need to revolve around their children, mine doesn't.

Sorry for the slight rant, but this has always been a pet peeve of mine.

As for Pujols, more proof that he's one of the good guys in the game.


This is gospel truth right here. My fiancee has two little nieces aged 2 and 6 and they remind me of two little tasmanian devils. The scenes these girls create in restaraunts is ungodly... I've never seen so many dirty looks cast in my direction in all my life. I would never, never, never take those two little terrors to a ballgame. We're talking a total toddler meltdown.

So I agree wholeheartedly with thehat. They're called baby sitters and I wish more parents had the courtesy to use them.

Back to Pujols, if something I did clocked some kid in the head and caused a fractured skull and internal brain bleeding you can damn bet I'd do anything in my power to make up for it as best I could. Pujols is the same way, but not many other ballplayers are. I would bet that less than 1/3 of professional ballplayers would take the time to do what he did; instead they would probably just shrug and say "it sucks, but you should have been watching".
Image
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 9875
Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On a Mission

Postby blankman » Fri May 27, 2005 1:18 pm

I don't believe he has an obligation to spend an afternoon with him and give him all of that stuff.

If you are in the stands, you are there at your own risk. It's not Pujols' fault that they weren't paying attention.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri May 27, 2005 5:07 pm

josebach wrote:
Madison wrote:I've got a 6 year old (soon to be 7) and took him to his first game this year. ;-D


So you're telling me that both you and your child watched every single pitch? Never reached for a coke or hotdog? Never went to the restroom or stood up out of your seat for somebody to get by?

I honestly don't know what to say to that.


Yes, we watched every pitch, and amazingly enough, we both were wearing our gloves during all pitches in the game. Cokes and hot dogs are easy enough to reach and eat without having to look, but there's plenty of time inbetween pitches to grab a bite or a drink if you really feel the need to look at them. Restroom breaks are for between innings, and standing up to let someone by doesn't interfere with keeping your eyes on the game.

Then again, I go to quite a few games, so it's second nature to be able to do everything while keeping my eyes on the ball. Really not that hard to do anyway.

josebach wrote:And yes, a professional athlete that fractures a 2 year old kid's skull to the point that he had a brain hemorrhage has an obligation to check up on the kid... period. I'm not saying that Pujols isn't a great guy. I'm saying he's not a great guy just because he visited a kid he put in the hospital for multiple days.


If Pujols could control where foul balls went, if he did it on purpose, or if it wasn't the father's fault for taking the kid and not paying attention, then I would agree that Pujols was obligated to visit the kid. Fact of the matter is that Pujols had zero responsiblitly for what happened, and has zero obligation to do anything after the kid got hurt. The fact he did visit the kid and give him a bunch of stuff is what makes this a story to begin with. If he really was obligated to do it, would the media run the story anyway? Headline "Pujols fulfills obligation to visit hurt boy" and it wouldn't even be a story since he's supposed to do it. Since he's neither obligated, nor at fault for what happened to the kid, it's a nice story that shows Pujols to be a good guy.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby josebach » Sat May 28, 2005 12:13 am

Madison wrote:
josebach wrote:
Madison wrote:I've got a 6 year old (soon to be 7) and took him to his first game this year. ;-D


So you're telling me that both you and your child watched every single pitch? Never reached for a coke or hotdog? Never went to the restroom or stood up out of your seat for somebody to get by?

I honestly don't know what to say to that.


Yes, we watched every pitch, and amazingly enough, we both were wearing our gloves during all pitches in the game. Cokes and hot dogs are easy enough to reach and eat without having to look, but there's plenty of time inbetween pitches to grab a bite or a drink if you really feel the need to look at them. Restroom breaks are for between innings, and standing up to let someone by doesn't interfere with keeping your eyes on the game.

Then again, I go to quite a few games, so it's second nature to be able to do everything while keeping my eyes on the ball. Really not that hard to do anyway.

josebach wrote:And yes, a professional athlete that fractures a 2 year old kid's skull to the point that he had a brain hemorrhage has an obligation to check up on the kid... period. I'm not saying that Pujols isn't a great guy. I'm saying he's not a great guy just because he visited a kid he put in the hospital for multiple days.


If Pujols could control where foul balls went, if he did it on purpose, or if it wasn't the father's fault for taking the kid and not paying attention, then I would agree that Pujols was obligated to visit the kid. Fact of the matter is that Pujols had zero responsiblitly for what happened, and has zero obligation to do anything after the kid got hurt. The fact he did visit the kid and give him a bunch of stuff is what makes this a story to begin with. If he really was obligated to do it, would the media run the story anyway? Headline "Pujols fulfills obligation to visit hurt boy" and it wouldn't even be a story since he's supposed to do it. Since he's neither obligated, nor at fault for what happened to the kid, it's a nice story that shows Pujols to be a good guy.


Ok, you convinced me. The kid's dad is a lousy father and he deserved what he got.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2036
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

Postby Madison » Sat May 28, 2005 1:45 am

josebach wrote:Ok, you convinced me. The kid's dad is a lousy father and he deserved what he got.


Lol. :-D That's not what I was trying to say, but you know that already. ;-)

All I was saying is that Pujols was not responsible for any of it, yet he showed a lot of class and character for doing what he did. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact