Props to Pujols... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Props to Pujols...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu May 26, 2005 11:35 am

This is from the local Fox affiliate.
http://www.fox2ktvi.com/

A two-year-old metro east boy knows just how hard St. Louis Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols can hit. The youngster got hit on the forehead by a line drive Monday night and it cracked his skull! Little Bryson King is doing well after attending his very first Cardinals' game. The doctor says he's lucky. It could have been a lot worse. It was the bottom of the sixth when Albert Pujols hit a line drive foul into Bryson's forehead. The youngster was on his dad's lap and his cousin Joy was nearby. Joy said, "It happened so fast. It was really scary. The ball came out of nowhere." Bryson's father Michael said, "It was scary in the sense that he got hit by a baseball going fast, knowing it didn't hit anything else but his head. It was scary seeing blood come from his mouth and his nose." He ran for help and Bryson was taken to St. Louis Children's Hospital by ambulance." But the family has no hard feelings towards Albert Pujols or the Cardinals. "I'm not mad at them. It's a game they're playing in the stadium. As a fan, you take that chance." Bryson suffered a fractured skull and some bleeding around the brain, but he's expected to make a full recovery. It's been a tough time for the little boy's family. His mom was diagnosed with leukemia and recently underwent a bone marrow operation. Bryson's dad says the next time he takes his son to a Cardinals game he'll try to sit in a place where the boy is less likely to get hit.

UPDATE: Albert Pujols paid the youngster a surprise visit and brought him a box full of Redbird souvenirs
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mwb743s » Thu May 26, 2005 11:35 am

Awesome! I have not heard that yet.

Will add this though. The story going around STL about the kid hit with the ball, I guess he was in bad shape with bran but is getting better, also I guess his Mom is in the hospital with cancer as well. Things like this make you really appreciate life.

EDIT: Looks like someone beat me to it!! Glad to see everything is okay.
mwb743s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: Al Hrabosky's Ballpark Saloon taking a leak in the urinal in front of the double sided mirror!

Postby tomkatt » Thu May 26, 2005 12:49 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:
Yoda wrote:I wonder if Barry would do such a thing? :-?

Barry was quoted as saying "Hey kid, try some of this cream! It should make you feel better."

Ha ha ha ha. ;-D
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RyanK » Thu May 26, 2005 12:55 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:

Barry was quoted as saying "Hey kid, try some of this cream! It should make you feel better."

The majority of us view Bonds as the media portrays him... I think there was a time two years ago when he actually went to visit a kid in the hospital because he was dying and was a big Bonds fan and had always wanted to meet him... I could be wrong, but a lot of athletes donate to charities (maybe for tax reasons, maybe for good cause) and make visits, its just the media doesnt cover it.

http://www.allstarz.org/users/barrybonds/charity.htm

Drew Bledsoe would always make presentations to local boston schools talking about drugs and addictions, he would also donate to a few charities, just he never got media attention about it

Same thing with a few old Whalers players, theyre was a handful of players who did a lot of things around the community, Sean Burke loved spending time with little kids, Kevin Dineen started a few street hockey things for kids who cant afford roller skates and sticks... its the way the media decides to portray athletes...
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby warrick95 » Thu May 26, 2005 1:12 pm

RyanK wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:

The majority of us view Bonds as the media portrays him... I think there was a time two years ago when he actually went to visit a kid in the hospital because he was dying and was a big Bonds fan and had always wanted to meet him... I could be wrong, but a lot of athletes donate to charities (maybe for tax reasons, maybe for good cause) and make visits, its just the media doesnt cover it.

http://www.allstarz.org/users/barrybonds/charity.htm

Drew Bledsoe would always make presentations to local boston schools talking about drugs and addictions, he would also donate to a few charities, just he never got media attention about it

Same thing with a few old Whalers players, theyre was a handful of players who did a lot of things around the community, Sean Burke loved spending time with little kids, Kevin Dineen started a few street hockey things for kids who cant afford roller skates and sticks... its the way the media decides to portray athletes...

Man, that kid's family has horrible luck. :-t Hope they all end up okay.

Good post, Ryan. A player who has portrayed very negatively by the media is Albert Belle. Has it ever been exposed that he gives money to charity and could be an overall good guy? THey seem to write articles on the personalities of the nice guys, but they never bother venturing deeper into Joey Belle. Just because he did not like to give interviews to the media, the reporters made it their goal and purpose for their utter existence to dig up and expose anything negative about him that they could find in a huge smear campaign. Luckily for them, Belle is a hothead and did a few questionable things and thus corroborated the media's perception.

This demonstrates just how powerful a tool the media is. In the wrong hands, the media could easily brainwash the world. Actually, I'm not so sure that that isn't happening already. And I do mean in much more important spheres than sports.

Edit: Here's a nice little write-up about Belle: http://www.ericenders.com/albertbelle.htm

So why doesn't anybody write about Belle's intelligence or his past alcoholism that he has defeated? And Dan Patrick is a complete ass for what he wrote.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu May 26, 2005 1:41 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:This is from the local Fox affiliate.
http://www.fox2ktvi.com/

A two-year-old metro east boy knows just how hard St. Louis Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols can hit. The youngster got hit on the forehead by a line drive Monday night and it cracked his skull! Little Bryson King is doing well after attending his very first Cardinals' game. The doctor says he's lucky. It could have been a lot worse. It was the bottom of the sixth when Albert Pujols hit a line drive foul into Bryson's forehead. The youngster was on his dad's lap and his cousin Joy was nearby. Joy said, "It happened so fast. It was really scary. The ball came out of nowhere." Bryson's father Michael said, "It was scary in the sense that he got hit by a baseball going fast, knowing it didn't hit anything else but his head. It was scary seeing blood come from his mouth and his nose." He ran for help and Bryson was taken to St. Louis Children's Hospital by ambulance." But the family has no hard feelings towards Albert Pujols or the Cardinals. "I'm not mad at them. It's a game they're playing in the stadium. As a fan, you take that chance." Bryson suffered a fractured skull and some bleeding around the brain, but he's expected to make a full recovery. It's been a tough time for the little boy's family. His mom was diagnosed with leukemia and recently underwent a bone marrow operation. Bryson's dad says the next time he takes his son to a Cardinals game he'll try to sit in a place where the boy is less likely to get hit.

UPDATE: Albert Pujols paid the youngster a surprise visit and brought him a box full of Redbird souvenirs

Umm......actually watch the game and take a glove? That would solve the issue. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dans » Thu May 26, 2005 1:47 pm

A lot of stars donate money to charities but to be honest, is it really such a great gestrure for a multi-millionaire to give money away? What's nice about this story is that Pujols donated his time. It's hardly a sacrifice for these guys to write a check, but to spend an afternoon with this kid goes beyond that.
Dans
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby RyanK » Thu May 26, 2005 3:37 pm

Dans wrote:A lot of stars donate money to charities but to be honest, is it really such a great gestrure for a multi-millionaire to give money away? What's nice about this story is that Pujols donated his time. It's hardly a sacrifice for these guys to write a check, but to spend an afternoon with this kid goes beyond that.

I know... but I got the impression that people felt that some dont do anything, bonds, when really he does, he has started his own charity, im sure he puts time into helping others too. Its not like hes a player with an attitude (to an extent) but he doenst have bad accidents like drunk driving, abusiveness, not an all about money player afterall hes not the highest paid player when he could demand more than ARod..
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Thu May 26, 2005 4:07 pm

RyanK wrote:ts not like hes a player with an attitude (to an extent) but he doenst have bad accidents like drunk driving, abusiveness, not an all about money player afterall hes not the highest paid player when he could demand more than ARod..

To be fair, Bonds couldn't demand more money than Alex Rodriguez. The market hasn't been such that another player would be offered $25 million in a long time.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Thu May 26, 2005 4:07 pm

This is a great story. Lot's of respect for Albert ;-D ;-D ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert