In love with your draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

In love with your draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu May 26, 2005 12:14 pm

Pettitte has had good years and mediocre ones. I can't see how you can call someone who posted:

2005: 4.11 1.32 34 K over 57 IPs
2004: 3.90 1.23 79 K over 83 IPs
2003: 4.02 1.33 180 over 208
2002: 3.29 1.31 97 over 134
2001 4.00 1.32 164 over 200

negative value. You can bring in his numbers from 1998-2000 before the strike zone change and where he obviously had some off years with ERAs pushing 4.5 and WHIPS in the 1.45 range, but that hardly seems meaningful or wise at this point.

He has basically been a high 3 ERA/1.3 WHIP pitcher since 2001 who is capable of doing somewhat better in a good year. His K rate is OK but nothing special and until maybe this year he could be counted on for a fair number of Ws. He is an injury risk, which is what hurts his perceived value more than anything else imo. Take that as his value. There are far worse around sitting on most fantasy teams 5th and 6th SP slots.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Thu May 26, 2005 12:39 pm

I think people are missing the point when they start talkinging about specific players. This post was about keeping your options open when it doesn't look like the guys you drafted are doing as well as your expecting.

You don't want give up on players too early but its tough keeping a .220 hitter with low power numbers, when there are FA's out there that are clubbing the ball. Some players just aint getting it done, and if their upside wasn't all that high then there's a time to cut them loose.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Blind Squirrels » Thu May 26, 2005 12:47 pm

swyck wrote:I think people are missing the point when they start talkinging about specific players. This post was about keeping your options open when it doesn't look like the guys you drafted are doing as well as your expecting.

You don't want give up on players too early but its tough keeping a .220 hitter with low power numbers, when there are FA's out there that are clubbing the ball. Some players just aint getting it done, and if their upside wasn't all that high then there's a time to cut them loose.

Exactly the point. I can't count on Chen and Bedard for the long haul, but 1/4 of the way through the season, I need a spark. Knowing that my league isn't big on jostling their lineups also works for me in that if I want to trade them back in for Pettite or El Duque later on, they very possibly may be there. Aside from getting killed by the injury bug (Hernandez, Perez, Pettite, Sheets, Vidro) I've got other non-contributers (Estrada - until I dropped him, Furcal - HAS to get better, right?). If I sat still and did nothing waiting for them to come around, my team might just be out of it by the break.
"There's something happening, and you don't know what it is. Do you, Mr. Jones?"
Bob Dylan
Blind Squirrels Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers