In love with your draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

In love with your draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

In love with your draft

Postby Blind Squirrels » Thu May 26, 2005 9:04 am

I recently had to come to grips with the fact that my draft didn't result in the type of team I had wanted. 10 team h2h league and I was floundering in the middle of the pact. I think with a 10 team league, you can always find serviceable people on the wire to revamp your team. Being 25% into the season, it was time to move on.
Drops
Pettite
Orlando Hernandez
Borowski
Estrada
Zito

Pick ups
N Johnson
Chen
Bedard
Towers
Pierzyinski

Now if Sheets can come back strong and Odalis Perez doesn't stay out too long, I should see my Ws improve.
There are still some other teams in my league that won't trade or drop people and I get the impression it's just infautation with the team THEY drafted. ie - If I drafted them they have to be good. They're just in a slump right now.
Wish me luck B-)
"There's something happening, and you don't know what it is. Do you, Mr. Jones?"
Bob Dylan
Blind Squirrels Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Irish » Thu May 26, 2005 9:20 am

Um...........ok, good luck.

Is this a new blog thing or something? :-/
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Blind Squirrels » Thu May 26, 2005 11:00 am

Irish wrote:Um...........ok, good luck.

Is this a new blog thing or something? :-/

Not a blog thing at all, just trying to expand the discussion beyond the usual, "Pujols is tearing it up" and "Should I start Santana against ____".
Baseball Leftovers is the appropriate forum to post this sort of message in and most people, if having no opinion, just move on.
Thanks for chipping in your 2cents.
"There's something happening, and you don't know what it is. Do you, Mr. Jones?"
Bob Dylan
Blind Squirrels Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu May 26, 2005 11:03 am

i like to work the wire and usually have a lot of turnover. in one league i dont have anyone left who was drafted after round 11 (although that was the first draft of the year for me way back in early feb).
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Re: In love with your draft

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu May 26, 2005 11:12 am

Blind Squirrels wrote:I recently had to come to grips with the fact that my draft didn't result in the type of team I had wanted. 10 team h2h league and I was floundering in the middle of the pact. I think with a 10 team league, you can always find serviceable people on the wire to revamp your team. Being 25% into the season, it was time to move on.
Drops
Pettite
Orlando Hernandez
Borowski
Estrada
Zito

Pick ups
N Johnson
Chen
Bedard
Towers
Pierzyinski

Now if Sheets can come back strong and Odalis Perez doesn't stay out too long, I should see my Ws improve.
There are still some other teams in my league that won't trade or drop people and I get the impression it's just infautation with the team THEY drafted. ie - If I drafted them they have to be good. They're just in a slump right now.
Wish me luck B-)

Well why you would be dropping Pettitte and El Duque for the likes of Towers and Bedard I have no idea. I know they are injury risks, but Towers and Bedard? Borowski and even Zito I can see as neither is likely to be useful very soon. Estrada should have been cut for someone else a long time ago.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu May 26, 2005 11:13 am

Blind Squirrell - I am a guy that loves my drafts. I usually have very little WW action and only make a handful (2-4) trades a yr. I also dont play much H2H either, so that kind of lends to fewer transactions than other league types where GP or IP arent limited.

Pettitte and Zito - terribly overrated SPs - glad to see you finally dropped them, and its too bad you drafted them. Next yr you will know better. Im actually suprised Pettitte is doing this well - I expected his ERA to be higher at this point, but he does have negative value still - I just thought it would be even worse.

Id be very careful putting too much stock into your new WW pickups - those fellers are hot right now, and ALL players go through slumps and streaks. Its the frequency of these slumps and streaks that seperates the good players from the bad. Just be careful.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby baseballnewb » Thu May 26, 2005 11:17 am

Pettitte is hardly overrated, he was going in the last rounds of most drafts and outside of injuries will put up a sub 4 era with ok K's and poor wins. Hardly someone to carry your team but not terrible.

Of course in a 10 team league your team is all all-stars so he may not have value.

There is no reason to sit on the players you drafted, thats a losing strategy. I suggest you start to trade more and use the WW more if you really want to win your leagues.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu May 26, 2005 11:22 am

Pettitte if healthy is an OK bottom of your rotation starter in a mixed league. You expected Santana maybe to be occupying your 6th SP slot?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu May 26, 2005 11:33 am

I pretty much suck at drafting so I usually have one of the highest "moves made" totals in my leagues with unliminted roster moves. :-°
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu May 26, 2005 11:33 am

I disagree about Pettitte - and I have been saying so for quite a while. His W totals and %s were inflated (or deflated in the %s case) in Yankmee Stadium. Now in HOU - a stadium that eats LH pitching alive - nah - extremely overrated and should only be drafted if you are actively trying to sabotage your team (or someone elses team that you trade him to). He simply has negative value - I dont know how else to say it. A 1.3+ lifetime WHIP (1.37 to be exact) is bad fellas. Now that his Ks are dipping he's even worse - oh yeah - dont forget HOU going through a rebuilding period...

Pettitte is terribly overrated - he is not fantasy worthy at this point.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers