Akinori "Can't get an Out" Otsuka - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Akinori "Can't get an Out" Otsuka

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Akinori "Can't get an Out" Otsuka

Postby YardBirds » Thu May 26, 2005 2:34 am

What is this guys deal. I drafted him, Gordon and Rincon... Gordon's cutter wasn't working, Otsuka can't get one out, Rincon has been terrible this year....

What is Otsuka's problem, is he just put in in bad situations, has he lost "it" ?

What is Rincon's problem ?

So much for the MR, K, low era and whip strategey... Ot, TGord, Rincon > Santana my ass they are < Jamey Wright... sheesh
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Akinori "Can't get an Out" Otsuka

Postby davidmarver » Thu May 26, 2005 2:54 am

YardBirds wrote:What is Otsuka's problem, is he just put in in bad situations, has he lost "it" ?

He has absolutely no command now and teams have learned his most hittable pitch is the first one. I've dropped him on both teams I had him. That's saying something from a diehard Padres fan.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby YardBirds » Thu May 26, 2005 2:57 am

I kept telling myself, one more shot, just a bad outing, he will get it back... for Ot and Gordon... now Im searching the wire for a good replacements.... bullpens are thin this year with all the disparity in closers... Madson, Linebrink only real options...

What do u guys think of the MR strategy in H2H's that dont count holds ?
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby davidmarver » Thu May 26, 2005 3:01 am

YardBirds wrote:I kept telling myself, one more shot, just a bad outing, he will get it back... for Ot and Gordon... now Im searching the wire for a good replacements.... bullpens are thin this year with all the disparity in closers... Madson, Linebrink only real options...

What do u guys think of the MR strategy in H2H's that dont count holds ?

I don't think it's wise to draft MR's, but to pick them up as the season progresses is a fairly successful strategy. Each year a new guy shows up and dominates (remember J.C. Romero?). Those are the types of guys to have. The best part about adding them later in the year (around A.S. break) is that drafting the extra position players or borderline starters will often give you a diamond in the rough. Also, it allows you the ability to package players off and with the extra roster spot grab one the season's strong MR arms.

As for who you should grab, Linebrink is the man. Besides Hoffman, he looks the best of the Padre relievers. His fastball is unhittable (just revisit Ichiro's three fastball strikeout last week) and he's a lock for a K an inning. Besides, he actually gets more favorable fantasy situations than Aki, like pitching in tie ballgames or games where the Padres are down one and can get him a vulture win.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby YardBirds » Thu May 26, 2005 3:07 am

Yea, I was leaning toward Linebrink.... but then again I was also leaning toward just dropping Rincon and going with spot starting players on travel days or SP as needed from the wire. Dunno, what I have experienced from Gordon, Rincon, and Otsuka has been akin to having my finger nails removed with plyers...
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby reznorsboy » Thu May 26, 2005 5:13 am

He sure does suck this year
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Box » Thu May 26, 2005 9:57 am

MRs are so hard to predict. I wasted a late rounder on Gordon and I'll never do it again. Better to see who's good before you waste a roter spot.

MR guys I'm watching:
Linebrink
Mantei
Duchscherer
Rhodes (laugh, but he's been solid this year)
Donnelly
Hawkins (now that he's back to setup)
Politte
Sisco

Best of luck there, hombre.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu May 26, 2005 10:31 am

Last night on the broadcast they kept going on about how with runners on he loses pretty much every advantage he has. His major asset is the deception and with runners he can't use the leg kick and stuff so all that's left is mediocre stuff. Look at these splits :-o
Code: Select all
               G    IP   H    R   ER   HR   BB   K    ERA     WHIP   BAA    
Bases Empty    21  9.1   15   1    1    2    5   8    0.96    2.14   .349    
Runners On     17  11.0  9    9    9    1    6   10   7.36    1.36   .231    
RISP           13  5.1   4    7    7    0    4   5    11.81   1.50   .222
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Thu May 26, 2005 10:45 am

YardBirds wrote:What do u guys think of the MR strategy in H2H's that dont count holds ?

Having one or two doesn't usually hurt (as long as they are doing their job), but I don't carry any middle relievers on any of my teams in leagues that don't count holds. Starters and closers only for me.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu May 26, 2005 11:06 am

Yeah the MR theory about 2 MRs=1 good SP is nice on paper but not very effective in practice. MRs are unreliable year to year so why bother drafting them? I dabbled with them in one draft this year...got burned with Gordon and learned my lesson

You can pick up 2 that are doing well for free on the wire. And even then, it is a total crapshoot as to how effective and useful they are. Unless Holds are being counted or they are someone like Lidge or Mota were as MRs, they are usually not worth bothering with in most leagues.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers