Greinke - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Greinke

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Greinke

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed May 25, 2005 11:01 pm

OK, I know this guy has good stuff, but he plays for the Royals and gets no run support. His ERA is around 4.2 and WHIP is creeping up around 1.3. So, this is probably decent for a #5 guy, but I can get numerous other #5's that actually get wins.

What are you all doing with this guy? Not playing him until he shows some promise or what? :-?
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby rlee » Wed May 25, 2005 11:05 pm

I just reluctantly dropped him. Tried offering him around my league, no takers.

I just couldn't justify a pitcher that will win maybe 8 games. Like you said there are other pitchers available that will win more and produce other numbers close to his. Too bad he plays for KC :,-(
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby logan » Wed May 25, 2005 11:19 pm

im hanging onto him only becasue its a keeper league . if i wasnt it iwould most likely drop him if someone suitable was available. i mostly start him against bad teams and hope for the best.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed May 25, 2005 11:38 pm

I think he can develop into a Ben Sheets type pitcher in the next couple years. He will be valuable despite the lack of wins, but for the reamainder of this year he's probably not worth the roster spot in standard leagues. :,-(
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby beltrans_boy » Wed May 25, 2005 11:53 pm

I'm holding onto him, but that's in a fairly deep H2H league where my pitching staff is shot. Keep in mind that his last 2 starts were against St. Louis and Texas (@ Texas). You would have been crazy to start him (or most other pitchers) tonight at Texas against a lineup that has been hitting the ball like crazy lately, and St. Louis is a pretty good lineup last time I checked.

His K/BB is still 2.7:1 which is very nice for someone as young as Greinke. If you take out the StL and Tex starts, his ERA is 3.12. Obviously, you can say that for most pitchers and their ERA is going to look a lot better, but I think for Greinke it's especially telling. He's pitching in the AL Central, so he's not going to be facing offensive juggernauts like Tex, NYY and StL.

Just be careful who you start him against, and you should come out on top. When he's on, he's ON. He's the kind of pitcher who's capable of throwing a perfect game at any time. Just don't start him against teams that can mash. He's still a young pitcher, he's not an ace yet...so use him accordingly.

That being said, there are certainly going to be some rough patches for this kid, but I think we're going to be looking at a season ERA under 3.50 with about 130 Ks. That's nothing to laugh at, especially with someone who can be picked up off waivers.

If you're looking for wins, however, that's a completely different story. That miserable KC squad is going to struggle to get Greinke more than 5 wins this year. Of course, in H2H leagues, that doesn't really matter as much as it does in Roto. Greinke should be owned in every H2H league, and most Roto leagues. He's certainly a better option than guys like Kip Wells and others who are currently being touted on these boards as "the next big thing."
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Greinke

Postby Tavish » Thu May 26, 2005 12:19 am

Mercer Boy wrote:OK, I know this guy has good stuff, but he plays for the Royals and gets no run support. His ERA is around 4.2 and WHIP is creeping up around 1.3. So, this is probably decent for a #5 guy, but I can get numerous other #5's that actually get wins.

What are you all doing with this guy? Not playing him until he shows some promise or what? :-?

Not to be too nitpicky (if he wasn't the future of the Royals franchise I wouldn't say anything) but his ERA is around 3.8 not 4.2. Not that that helps him in the win department with the Royals offense.

In a non-keeper league I would make the choice based on how the rest of your staff is holding up on wins. If you are in a desperate need for them then make the move for end of the rotation guy on a contender, if the rest of your staff is holding up that department keep him starting.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu May 26, 2005 1:12 am

After tonight's outing, his ERA is 4.2. :-D

Yeah, I guess I should actually think about when to start pitchers and when to not start them...since I'm new to the game, I just put them in whenever they pitch. Now, I know not to start someone at Coors, but other than that, I just throw them out for the stats.

I wouldn't say there are great options otherwise, of course. There are guys like Contreras (matching your back end of good team statement), Redman, Wells, Davis, and Capuano out there...they aren't great, but they have been winning some games and have similar stats.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bradg533 » Thu May 26, 2005 1:19 am

the rangers have been killing the ball as of late and Stl isnt a bad hitting team either so i would hang on to Greinke... his ERA and his WHIP with help you, even if he doesnt get the win
Props to C_DubYah
Bradg533
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby West » Thu May 26, 2005 1:22 am

I would rank Greinke slightly higher than Kip Wells and Capuano because I think his ERA and WHIP will be significantly lower than those guys by the end of the season. However, Greinke doesn't give you much in terms of wins and K's, so he's a borderline option on a 12 team mixed. Echoing previous sentiments, if you're desperate for wins or K's, you should look elsewhere. Needless to say, if you have him right now, his trade value in non-keepers is very low right now. If you can save the roster spot, my advise is to hold onto him and start him in some favorable matchups, and that seems to be the consensus opinion around here.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby RynMan » Thu May 26, 2005 1:38 am

Poor Zack. :,-(

In my 11 team league he is on waivers, simply cuz my league is full of fools, and cuz he just isn't on a good enough team to be on my roster.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers