Is it Reitsma now? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is it Reitsma now?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jimmyfunk » Wed May 25, 2005 11:34 pm

I think Reitsma is going hold down the fort until Kolb gets his mind right......but Kolb has the pedigree and the experience to close so it's his job as soon as he's sharp again.
jimmyfunk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Thu May 26, 2005 2:19 am

jimmyfunk wrote: but Kolb has the pedigree and the experience to close so it's his job as soon as he's sharp again.

I don't agree with that - what pedigree does Kolb have?? He wasn't a closer in the minors (11 saves over 8 seasons). When he first took the closers job in Milw, at the end of 2003 he was very good. At the start of 2004 he was very good. That gives him SIX MONTHS of success. Since the AllStar break last year he has been absolutely awful. I think a lot of people recognized this when the Braves got him.

Retisma has some experience - he closed some games last year. I wouldn't say he's got pedigree either. Then again if Gagne, Lyon etc. have shown us anything, it's that you didn't need 'pedigree' to have some success closing. What Kolb has shown us is that he isn't a successful closer.
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby klvrdude » Thu May 26, 2005 2:33 am

geronamo wrote:just as a sidenote...
Kolb was warming up in the bullpen in the 9th inning, perhaps ready to close if Reitsma faltered at all. It was a 3 run lead tonite.

Just to confuse things even more...

Thank you very much for the none box score information. Even though Kolb didn't pitch it shows some insight into Cox's thinking....that I'm not sure I understand, but nonetheless, thanks. ;-D
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LetsPlay2 » Thu May 26, 2005 2:49 am

IMO the job will again be Kolb's within 3 weeks.
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thehat » Thu May 26, 2005 6:20 am

I agree the Braves would like it to be Kolb. Unfortunately, he's getting shredded almost every time he shows up, including the most recent "save" he recorded in which he gave up a HR and a triple. Reitsma has a legit shot to claim this gig if he pitches well. That's a big if, obviously, and he may not be up to the task.

And this is coming from a guy who earlier claimed it would take an awful lot for Cox to take the job away from Kolb. One has to be flexible when giving opinions here.

BTW, Kolb appears to have lost faith in what got him into the spotlight in the first place (the sinker) and is now trying to power the ball past hitters, which is a return to his old pre-Brewer days. And he wasn't very successful as a heat thrower.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu May 26, 2005 6:46 am

Obviously Cox is making it up as he goes along as:

a. He relieved Kolb of the job, said Bernero was the man and has proceeded to stick Bernero in 7th and 8th inning spots. Bernero's crummy appearance a few days ago probably lost him any chance of closing in Cox's mind.

b. Reistma has been given the chance as of late.

c. Kolb is still in the mix as Cox was ready to send him in there should Reistma have failed tonight.

Conclusion: Does Dusty Baker and the closer carousel strike a bell? Not to compare Cox to the fool Baker, but it sure does look like Cox is just trying different things hoping that something works itself out. Maybe it will, but then again maybe it won't. It does look like he really wants Kolb to get the job done.
Have not seen a lot of the Braves, but Kolb has obviously had some issues this year and Reistma is hardly an ideal option. The Braves may indeed need to get someone or they could be blowing key games in Sept.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Thu May 26, 2005 8:52 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Obviously Cox is making it up as he goes along as:

a. He relieved Kolb of the job, said Bernero was the man and has proceeded to stick Bernero in 7th and 8th inning spots. Bernero's crummy appearance a few days ago probably lost him any chance of closing in Cox's mind.

When did Cox ever say it would be Bernero?? He never did - it was all speculation on talk radio and roto world. It made a little sense based on Bernero's success this year and how poorly Reitsma was pitching at the time, so people bought into it. Cox has said all along that he'll try to piece together a closer by committee, at least while Kolb works out his kinks, and that is exactly what he's done.
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby stumpak » Thu May 26, 2005 10:48 am

If I am remembering correctly it was someone in the front office who threw out Bernero as the most likely candidate.

Frankly, I would still not count Bernero 100% out of the running. As mentioned above, Kolb is getting blown up left and right and Reitsma is no great shakes. A week or two of LaTroy Hawkins type of stuff by these two guys and Bernero may be the guy they go to. Unlike everyone else in the mix, he has actually been sharp this year. It would not surprise in the least if he of even Sosa got a look at some point.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby klvrdude » Thu May 26, 2005 12:45 pm

stumpak wrote: Unlike everyone else in the mix, he has actually been sharp this year. It would not surprise in the least if he of even Sosa got a look at some point.

I said it when everyone was speculating Bernero, if anyone within the Braves organization is going to replace Kolb its going to be Reitsma. Sure Bernero has had good numbers this year, but talk about your mother load of anomolies, have you seen his career numbers?!?!! He hasn't had an ERA of under 5.0 since his rookie year in 2000. Reitsma is no second coming of Smoltz, but at least he has notched some saves over the last few years.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Thu May 26, 2005 1:13 pm

klvrdude wrote:
stumpak wrote: Unlike everyone else in the mix, he has actually been sharp this year. It would not surprise in the least if he of even Sosa got a look at some point.

I said it when everyone was speculating Bernero, if anyone within the Braves organization is going to replace Kolb its going to be Reitsma. Sure Bernero has had good numbers this year, but talk about your mother load of anomolies, have you seen his career numbers?!?!! He hasn't had an ERA of under 5.0 since his rookie year in 2000. Reitsma is no second coming of Smoltz, but at least he has notched some saves over the last few years.

;-D
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers