Da Meat Hook Young - any thoughts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Da Meat Hook Young - any thoughts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby klvrdude » Thu May 26, 2005 2:17 pm

thehat wrote:
klvrdude wrote:
thehat wrote:.272-18-60 last season and probably the same neighoborhood this year. Whether those numbers garner you any value at all depends on how deep your league is.

Come on now, he broken his leg last year. I'm not saying "D.Young for MVP", but he'll pass last year's numbers no problem. In a deeper league I think he's a very viable option.

What do you base this on? Aside from 2003, Young has never hit more than 21 HR. He was a .300 neighborhood BA type, but hasn't reached that plateau since 2001. And I'd have to call Young an "old" 31, based on his injury history and his body type.

I think after being injured last year, he has a little chip on his shoulder to prove himself. But more importantly he's never had a lineup like the Tigers do now to help/protect him.

PS you may want recheck your stats b/c he hit 29 HR's in 2003 and was on pace to come close to that in 2004.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby logan » Thu May 26, 2005 2:30 pm

TB13 wrote:I have to agree with that sentiment. Young has not reached .300 in 4 years.

actually it would be 3 years sinc he has hit .300(01). since this season is not over it isnt fair to include it . and in those three years he only played the full year once. 2003 where he hit .297 (not .300 but close) the other two years (04 and 02) he was injured. so to be fair he hasn't hit .300 because he never got the at bats and was injured. healthy seasons he hits near .300 religiously. in the 4 sesons he has gotten 500 or more at bats he has hit .300 in all but one and that was the .297 season where he managed to hit that while striking out 130 times (a career high).

im just hoping he starts to get some hits soon. the whole team hasnt exactly been tearing it up lately. he will break out of it soon and have a quality year . of course that quality totally depends on the depht of your league and your team needs.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu May 26, 2005 7:44 pm

As a Tiger fan, he certainly has been disappointing since that opening day performance. He's clearly not playing up to his ability right now. You have to figure a player with his track record will pick it up at some point, as long as he fends off his annual injuries (and hopefully he does).
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CPHFighter1 » Thu May 26, 2005 8:02 pm

pmacxx2 wrote:A thought? He's overweight.

There are a few extra pounds hanging on the hook, but that doesn't mean he can't hit. He hits in a lineup packed full of singles hitters, so there should be plenty of opportunities for him to knock them in and move across the plate.
I'd say he's about a .290 hitter at this point in his career, and will definitely surpass 18-60, he did that in only 389 ABs last year.
If you project last years numbers over the ABs he got in 2003, here is what you get:
.272 26 HR 86 RBI 104 R
Not bad if you ask me. He is extremely consistent. Look how the above numbers compare to 2003:
.295 29 HR 85 RBI 78 R
The runs were up last year due to the higher quality Detroit offense.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pmacxx2 » Fri May 27, 2005 3:44 pm

CPHFighter1 wrote:
pmacxx2 wrote:A thought? He's overweight.

There are a few extra pounds hanging on the hook, but that doesn't mean he can't hit. He hits in a lineup packed full of singles hitters, so there should be plenty of opportunities for him to knock them in and move across the plate.
I'd say he's about a .290 hitter at this point in his career, and will definitely surpass 18-60, he did that in only 389 ABs last year.
If you project last years numbers over the ABs he got in 2003, here is what you get:
.272 26 HR 86 RBI 104 R
Not bad if you ask me. He is extremely consistent. Look how the above numbers compare to 2003:
.295 29 HR 85 RBI 78 R
The runs were up last year due to the higher quality Detroit offense.

He's on pace for .265-.270, 22 hr, 80 rbi. He has no real position other than 1b. Assuming a 12-team league, for a firstbasemen you can do better than those numbers and you should also be able to do better at the utility position. Factor in he's been at best average since the first week of the season and he plays in a bad hitters park. Are things going to get better? I don't see it.
Stretch! Stretch!
pmacxx2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby klvrdude » Sun May 29, 2005 6:25 pm

6 for 12, 2 HR, 5R, 4RBI over the wkend.

Looks like Dr. Frankenstein breathed some new life into this monser.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 31, 2005 12:55 am

klvrdude wrote:6 for 12, 2 HR, 5R, 4RBI over the wkend.

Looks like Dr. Frankenstein breathed some new life into this monser.

Like I said, I'm really not even concerned about him. Just keep him in your lineup if you play in 12 team leagues or larger (especially ones with CIs).
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby LouisC9999 » Tue May 31, 2005 10:29 am

Going off topic, why is he referred to as "Da Meat Hook"?
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers