Da Meat Hook Young - any thoughts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Da Meat Hook Young - any thoughts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Kingctb27 » Thu May 26, 2005 12:31 am

I would dump him.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rirruto » Thu May 26, 2005 12:39 am

Dude's only got 3 RBI this month, that's gotta hurt.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby thehat » Thu May 26, 2005 2:06 am

.272-18-60 last season and probably the same neighoborhood this year. Whether those numbers garner you any value at all depends on how deep your league is.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby klvrdude » Thu May 26, 2005 2:19 am

thehat wrote:.272-18-60 last season and probably the same neighoborhood this year. Whether those numbers garner you any value at all depends on how deep your league is.

Come on now, he broken his leg last year. I'm not saying "D.Young for MVP", but he'll pass last year's numbers no problem. In a deeper league I think he's a very viable option.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pmacxx2 » Thu May 26, 2005 2:49 am

A thought? He's overweight.
Stretch! Stretch!
pmacxx2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thehat » Thu May 26, 2005 6:13 am

klvrdude wrote:
thehat wrote:.272-18-60 last season and probably the same neighoborhood this year. Whether those numbers garner you any value at all depends on how deep your league is.

Come on now, he broken his leg last year. I'm not saying "D.Young for MVP", but he'll pass last year's numbers no problem. In a deeper league I think he's a very viable option.

What do you base this on? Aside from 2003, Young has never hit more than 21 HR. He was a .300 neighborhood BA type, but hasn't reached that plateau since 2001. And I'd have to call Young an "old" 31, based on his injury history and his body type.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu May 26, 2005 6:54 am

Young will end up being a decent 275-290 25-30 HR 85-100 rbi guy with some decent runs scored. He is in a bit of a funk now, but assuming he stays healthy he will be a decent Util player type even in relatively shallow mixed leagues.

Right now, he is sort of at a low in value for the season and you are starting to see him pop up on WWs as his value is now nothing special to say the least. I would think he will get hot again at some point and push his numbers back above the WW fodder line for a mixed league player. Then again, maybe not but there are worse options around. Either way, this is not a player that is going to carry anyone's fantasy squad.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TB13 » Thu May 26, 2005 9:09 am

thehat wrote:And I'd have to call Young an "old" 31, based on his injury history and his body type.

I have to agree with that sentiment. Young has not reached .300 in 4 years. He has never hit 25 homers in his life. There was a belief that he was a secret sleeper, but he is performing much like he has in his entire career. I have no idea of why people suddenly thought that he would become a 30 hr guy, considering that is 9 more than his career high.
His body is begining to look more and more like Fat Mo. At this point, unless he gets himself into much better shape, I wold doubt that he is going to ever have the type of season that people were predicting for him during ST.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fraquar » Thu May 26, 2005 9:53 am

When Dmitri learns to take a few pitches he may break out of his funk. Those 3 RBI's for May haven't been his teammates fault. Dmitri has had plenty of opportunites, as well as Pudge and White in the heart of the Tiger order for that matter to drive in runs but they all share a common problem; impatience at the plate. Dmitri has been swinging at balls he couldn't bend over and touch as it crossed the plate - balls whose sheer velocity and proximity to the ground were moving grains of dirt as he was swinging at them.

I'm a Tiger fan but even so there's no way I'd ever have Dmitri on my fantasy roster - even if I had 7 bench slots.
fraquar
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Box » Thu May 26, 2005 1:52 pm

pmacxx2 wrote:A thought? He's overweight.

Another thought:

3 dingdongs in one game!

Even so, drop it like its hot.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers