Rafael Palmeiro - Anybody notice he's getting hot? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rafael Palmeiro - Anybody notice he's getting hot?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mweir145 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:46 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
kcs261 wrote:Publications like Fanball and other are finally starting to see it my way: :-)

Trend: Raffy Raking It
Last year was the first season since 1994 that Rafael Palmeiro didn't deliver at least 38 homers and at least 104 runs batted in—so of course, at age 40, most fantasy folks were ready to write Raffy off. But a funny thing happened right around the time Palmeiro notched his 3,000th hit: it occurred to him that he could still play. Palmeiro has hit .313 in July—.378 since the All-Star break—and banged at least five homers each months since a cold April. Raffy has hit an average of 25 points better after the break over the past three seasons, and his slugging percentage during that span is almost 40 points higher in the second half of the season. It appears he's headed for another strong finish—not just to the season, but to his Hall-of-Fame career as well.

And now, is there anyone seeing it your way?

Cheater
Liar
Rat

A great end to a "Hall of Fame" career.

Plus he came nowhere near 30 HRs.

I think he still will be a Hall-of-Famer though.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bdrotoronto » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:52 pm

mweir145 wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
kcs261 wrote:Publications like Fanball and other are finally starting to see it my way: :-)

Last year was the first season since 1994 that Rafael Palmeiro didn't deliver at least 38 homers and at least 104 runs batted in—so of course, at age 40, most fantasy folks were ready to write Raffy off. But a funny thing happened right around the time Palmeiro notched his 3,000th hit: it occurred to him that he could still play. Palmeiro has hit .313 in July—.378 since the All-Star break—and banged at least five homers each months since a cold April. Raffy has hit an average of 25 points better after the break over the past three seasons, and his slugging percentage during that span is almost 40 points higher in the second half of the season. It appears he's headed for another strong finish—not just to the season, but to his Hall-of-Fame career as well.

Cheater
Liar
Rat

I don't think so anymore. When the steroid news first came out that he was caught, I thought he was still likely to make it, the only question was whether he'd be first-ballot. Now I don't know if he will make it at all.

This latest news that he implicated an all-star teammate for his cheating, who may well be innocent, and then had his team basically tell him not to bother coming back, i.e. they are better off without him.. well, this situation is so bad for Raffy now that I think his HOF chances have been severely damaged. His reputation is mud, and his numbers are increasingly open to question. If in five or six years the voters want to send a message or make a statement re: the steroids users, you know that Raffy will be the first major target that they do it with. And once they leave him off once, it will be very easy for them to leave him off again in subsequent years. I could easily see him joining the likes of Pete Rose and Joe Jackson, who for one reason or another (cheating) were among the best players ever never to get into the Hall of Fame.. :-/
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:33 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:

Cheater
Liar
Rat

I don't think so anymore. When the steroid news first came out that he was caught, I thought he was still likely to make it, the only question was whether he'd be first-ballot. Now I don't know if he will make it at all.

This latest news that he implicated an all-star teammate for his cheating, who may well be innocent, and then had his team basically tell him not to bother coming back, i.e. they are better off without him.. well, this situation is so bad for Raffy now that I think his HOF chances have been severely damaged. His reputation is mud, and his numbers are increasingly open to question. If in five or six years the voters want to send a message or make a statement re: the steroids users, you know that Raffy will be the first major target that they do it with. And once they leave him off once, it will be very easy for them to leave him off again in subsequent years. I could easily see him joining the likes of Pete Rose and Joe Jackson, who for one reason or another (cheating) were among the best players ever never to get into the Hall of Fame.. :-/

Isn't he one of only a few players ever to reach 500 HR and 3000 hits? There is no question he gets in with those stats.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Red Stripe » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:13 am

mweir145 wrote:
bdrotoronto wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:

Cheater
Liar
Rat

Isn't he one of only a few players ever to reach 500 HR and 3000 hits? There is no question he gets in with those stats.

I don't think his numbers even matter anymore. Anyone's numbers are going to be ignored when your the first major superstar to get caught red handed with roids.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:52 am

Red Stripe wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
bdrotoronto wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:

Cheater
Liar
Rat

I don't think his numbers even matter anymore. Anyone's numbers are going to be ignored when your the first major superstar to get caught red handed with roids.

Why wouldn't his numbers matter anymore? Where is the logic in that?

He played for 19 seasons, and IMO, has had one of the best statistical careers of all time, but he doesn't make it in because he tested positive for steroids in what is likely the last year of his career? Isn't that a bit of a joke? If he doesn't get in, I really wouldn't think much of the voting process at all.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby kcs261 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:31 am

Raffy would have hit 30 but for getting busted for roids. You can't even seek glory from this thread when the guy hasn't played for virtually the whole 2nd half of the season (at least not regularly).
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:43 am

kcs261 wrote:Raffy would have hit 30 but for getting busted for roids. You can't even seek glory from this thread when the guy hasn't played for virtually the whole 2nd half of the season (at least not regularly).

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. That and 5 bucks will get you and Liar Raffy a pair of lattes at Starbucks. The problem with making outlandish predictions is that all sorts of crazy things like injuries, suspensions, and such happen. Was never on track to hit 30 and wasn't going to hit 30 without a time machine or some good drugs. Since HG Wells isn't around, he chose the second and got caught.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby kcs261 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:11 pm

Take a deep breath and be sane. Raffy hasn't played for almost the entire second-half of the season. You can't claim any real glory from this thread. Obviously, a guy can't increase his HR total when he isn't playing.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:06 pm

kcs261 wrote:Take a deep breath and be sane. Raffy hasn't played for almost the entire second-half of the season. You can't claim any real glory from this thread. Obviously, a guy can't increase his HR total when he isn't playing.

I'm not looking for glory. I'm just making sure you get a healthy heaping of some serious smack with mustard. Raffy was never going to hit 30, except in your dreams.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby mweir145 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:30 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
kcs261 wrote:Take a deep breath and be sane. Raffy hasn't played for almost the entire second-half of the season. You can't claim any real glory from this thread. Obviously, a guy can't increase his HR total when he isn't playing.

I'm not looking for glory. I'm just making sure you get a healthy heaping of some serious smack with mustard. Raffy was never going to hit 30, except in your dreams.

Actually, I believe he would have been close.
At the time he was caught for steroids, he was about 2/3 of the way through the season with 18 HR. It is entirely possible that he could have hit 12 over the last 2 months of the season.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers