Why is Wright batting 7th? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is Wright batting 7th?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why is Wright batting 7th?

Postby BuckeyeSal » Wed May 25, 2005 7:32 pm

For about the thousandth time on this board. He won't get his first at bat till the 3rd inning and right now with Beltran down he's probably the best combination of power, speed, and average on the team. Meaning he's the best hitter the Mets have. Is Marlon Anderson really better? It makes no sense to me.
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Xtreemes » Wed May 25, 2005 7:35 pm

The fans, announcers, and sports radio people are all wondering the same thing. Eventually Willie's gotta realize that Wright is one of the Mets better hitters and move him up in the lineup.
Xtreemes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KolbSaves » Wed May 25, 2005 7:36 pm

Something about protecting him from pressure in the lineup because he's so young yadda yadda.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby strong » Wed May 25, 2005 7:41 pm

It doesn't make much sense. I'm not sure what the method to Willie's madness really is here, but it's frustrating to see, especially from a fantasy perspective. And as a fan, I want so badly to see Reyes, Wright, Beltran, Floyd, Piazza. In that order... But I have seen him quoted as saying he likes having a big bat down there towards the end of the lineup. Which you can't argue with too much, because I don't know how many years I has to watch Ordonez, Timo Perez, Jay Payton, et al. down there for automatic 1-2-3 innings.

I'm not sure how much longer he'll be thrilled with them hovering around .500, though, so some changes might be coming soon... I expect him to be up there by mid June.
strong
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BuckeyeSal » Wed May 25, 2005 7:47 pm

thanks for some of the feedback. He's hitting .500 this past week for a team that needs some bat. He also just got the Mets first hit, in the 3rd inning. I understand about having some pop at the bottom of the order, but do you really want Mikey P getting one more AB every game then this guy at this point in their careers?
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The_Met_Threat » Wed May 25, 2005 8:07 pm

And theres just noone batting in Wright. You want pop in the bottom of the order??? drop piazza. Wright at 2 in the order would be absolutely perfect. Someone to get on base for Beltran, Floyd and Piazza instead of reyes striking out all the time. ATM id rather have Wright, Reyes, Beltran, Floyd. Likely that will never happen but the job of a lead off man is to get on base not to steal bases. Wright is capable of both, and much more capable than reyes at getting on base.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rirruto » Wed May 25, 2005 8:14 pm

Because Willie is obsessed with alternating righties and lefties. :-t
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers