Is this the end for Mesa? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is this the end for Mesa?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu May 26, 2005 1:16 am

reznorsboy wrote:I think the money issue with Gonzalez prolly plays into this alot more than we think

I'll agree with that. The Pirates front office does not want to spend more money than they have to, and if they can get away with keeping a guy's value lower, they will want to do it.

The sad thing is that it really doesn't matter whether they get their money now or later; they are still going to end up on another team in the long run. The chances of Perez staying with Pittsburgh after the next 3-4 years is pretty bleak unless the Pirates somehow become playoff contenders. The same thing will happen with Gonzalez (and they almost lost him before in a dumb trade with Boston - don't put that past the front office either ;-7 ).
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu May 26, 2005 1:38 am

Mercer Boy wrote:
reznorsboy wrote:I think the money issue with Gonzalez prolly plays into this alot more than we think

I'll agree with that. The Pirates front office does not want to spend more money than they have to, and if they can get away with keeping a guy's value lower, they will want to do it.

The sad thing is that it really doesn't matter whether they get their money now or later; they are still going to end up on another team in the long run. The chances of Perez staying with Pittsburgh after the next 3-4 years is pretty bleak unless the Pirates somehow become playoff contenders. The same thing will happen with Gonzalez (and they almost lost him before in a dumb trade with Boston - don't put that past the front office either ;-7 ).

Take heart -- small market teams can lock up their aces. The Twins locked up Johan, the Brew extended Sheets. It can happen, and hopefully it will for Pittsburgh. I've always been a sympathetic Pirates fan because you guys have been through the same decade of losing that we have. I always pull for you guys to win, unless it's against us, of course. I dream of a day where Milwaukee and Pittsburgh are battling for the division. Maybe someday the 1980's Brewers and early 90's Pirates can simultaneously recreate themselves.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Thu May 26, 2005 10:50 am

I didn't know that Gonzalez is arbitration eligable. That definitely changes the picture. I would not even be surprised if he gets traded this season.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers