Trade talks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade talks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade talks

Postby Trot Nixon » Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Found a couple articles on CBSSportsline regarding some trade talks. Enjoy....
Jarrod Washburn, SP ANA

News: The Los Angeles Times reports the combination of Ervin Santana's emergence as a rotation option, the Angels' need for an offensive boost and Jarrod Washburn's impending free agency probably will make the Angel left-hander the focus of trade rumors this summer. In fact, there is already speculation the Angels will pursue Kansas City's Mike Sweeney or Tampa Bay's Aubrey Huff in a deal. "History has shown that guys in the final year of their contract are more prone to be traded than others," said Washburn, who will start against the White Sox Wednesday. "I'm sure the topic will come up. Let's just say nothing in this game will surprise me."

Analysis: Such speculation would end if the Angels offered Washburn a contract extension, negotiations the pitcher and his agent, Scott Boras, would be very receptive to, but General Manager Bill Stoneman has made no such advances. "Bill knows our feeling, and he'll come to us if he wants to, but I'm not holding my breath," Washburn said. "It's hard not to think about that because I'm in the last year of a contract, but I'm just doing the best I can to concentrate on my job."
Good news for Santana owners like myself ;-D

Mike Sweeney, 1B KC

News: The Kansas City Star reports Mike Sweeney is open to a possible trade to the Rangers. Sweeney, whose five-year, $55 million contract extension runs through 2007, has frequently heard the Rangers mentioned as a possible trade destination. The Rangers say there are no ongoing talks, because the Royals would want one of the Rangers' young starting position players, one of their top pitching prospects, and for the Rangers to pay Sweeney's entire contract.

Analysis: Said Sweeney: "Interested? Yeah, sure, but that's something that, nothing's concrete, so I just sit back and play baseball for the Kansas City Royals. Texas, you always hear rumors, but they have a fine first baseman [Mark Teixeira], and [David] Dellucci's done a great job as DH. And Adrian Gonzalez is a wonderful young prospect. So, if they want to go more veteran, then that would be something I would have to pray about."
Wow, imagine that line up 8-o
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby logan » Wed May 25, 2005 2:10 pm

i think i would literally runs screaming maniacly down the street if huff were to go the angels'. that would be the best news ive heard all season/ (least till i hear frank thomas wil be in the starrting lineup ;-D )
Last edited by logan on Wed May 25, 2005 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby .38 Special » Wed May 25, 2005 2:10 pm

Please take Huff......Please take Huff
.38 Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed May 25, 2005 3:33 pm

.38 Special wrote:Please take Huff......Please take Huff

:-? ummmm... NO
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stumpak » Wed May 25, 2005 3:38 pm

Why in the world would the Rays want to trade Huff for Washburn? This must be a report on the wet dreams of the Angel's front office.

As a Mench owner, that Sweeney rumor scares the crap out of me since Mench for Sweeney was always the deal that was rumored in the off season. Notice how Sweeney mentioned how great it would be to play with the whole line-up EXCEPT Mench?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Thu May 26, 2005 2:48 pm

Mike Sweeney would love a trade to the Angels – he's from Orange County – but with Kansas City looking to get prospects in return for Sweeney, the Angels would probably be reluctant to take on Sweeney's expensive contract and give up prospects, as well. "I think it's one of those situations where the Royals should be happy if someone takes Sweeney's contract off their hands," said one rival executive. "But Allard (Baird) doesn't want to just give him away."
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MMoNeY24 » Thu May 26, 2005 3:00 pm

Sweeney and/or Huff would be filthy in Anaheims lineup with Vlad back.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers