Psychotic A-Rod? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Psychotic A-Rod?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby eftda » Wed May 25, 2005 3:53 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:Real men don't go to therapy.


negative. real Men know when they need help.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9790
Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Wed May 25, 2005 3:56 pm

I concur with the above statement ^^^
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3739
Joined: 12 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby beltrans_boy » Wed May 25, 2005 3:57 pm

eftda wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:Real men don't go to therapy.


negative. real Men know when they need help.


Real men don't need help.

;-7

I'm just kidding. Obviously. But seriously, I wonder if ARod knows where I can get a good pedicure in the NY/NJ metropolitan area...

:-°
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3092
Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: crusing down the street in my six-fo'

Postby 4Pack » Wed May 25, 2005 3:58 pm

blankman wrote:
4Pack wrote:
mkultra wrote:Yeah, he's got the general pressure of being the highest-paid (by far) player in the game, and all the scrutiny and expectations that come along with that. Then, factor in the New York press and fans, which can be brutal in their treatment of players (I'm lookin' at you, Vaz). I'm not at all surprised by this. In fact, I'd be floored if he weren't in therapy.



Yeah....I can only wish I had that kind of pressure. I might have a breakdown not knowing if my next $5,000,000 check was deposited in my account on time. For that kind of money...I think I could deal with the expectations placed upon me. If I don't meet the New York expectations...too fricken bad...just make sure my money is in the account. Arod is no different than 90% of the pro athletes. The money is all that matters.


I disagree entirely. You don't think Alex cares about how he plays? Don't you think he goes through those incredibly intense offseason workouts for a reason? By your logic, since he has his contract, why does he spend any time working on his swing, in the field, getting stronger, etc? You don't think he's out to prove that he's worth all that money? You're such a joke if you believe money is all that matters.


Wellll...if I played professional baseball...I would work my ass off to be the best player possible also. But....if I am doing the best I can...and the press and fans were still pissed off...then...that is too fricken bad.

And I guess I am a joke then. Because in the end...if I am busting my ass...and people are still pissed....just make sure my money is in my account.

And you are living in a fantasy (no pun intended) world if you think that most athletes do not care more about the money than their play on the field. That is not to say they do not give 100%...but you don't see any many players signing for minimumm salary do you?
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 828
Joined: 14 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wisconsin

Postby Laean » Wed May 25, 2005 4:00 pm

blankman wrote:
4Pack wrote:
mkultra wrote:Yeah, he's got the general pressure of being the highest-paid (by far) player in the game, and all the scrutiny and expectations that come along with that. Then, factor in the New York press and fans, which can be brutal in their treatment of players (I'm lookin' at you, Vaz). I'm not at all surprised by this. In fact, I'd be floored if he weren't in therapy.



Yeah....I can only wish I had that kind of pressure. I might have a breakdown not knowing if my next $5,000,000 check was deposited in my account on time. For that kind of money...I think I could deal with the expectations placed upon me. If I don't meet the New York expectations...too fricken bad...just make sure my money is in the account. Arod is no different than 90% of the pro athletes. The money is all that matters.


I disagree entirely. You don't think Alex cares about how he plays? Don't you think he goes through those incredibly intense offseason workouts for a reason? By your logic, since he has his contract, why does he spend any time working on his swing, in the field, getting stronger, etc? You don't think he's out to prove that he's worth all that money? You're such a joke if you believe money is all that matters.


i agree with you 100%.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2595
Joined: 16 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby donny23 » Wed May 25, 2005 5:58 pm

4Pack wrote:
mkultra wrote:Yeah, he's got the general pressure of being the highest-paid (by far) player in the game, and all the scrutiny and expectations that come along with that. Then, factor in the New York press and fans, which can be brutal in their treatment of players (I'm lookin' at you, Vaz). I'm not at all surprised by this. In fact, I'd be floored if he weren't in therapy.



Yeah....I can only wish I had that kind of pressure. I might have a breakdown not knowing if my next $5,000,000 check was deposited in my account on time. For that kind of money...I think I could deal with the expectations placed upon me. If I don't meet the New York expectations...too fricken bad...just make sure my money is in the account. Arod is no different than 90% of the pro athletes. The money is all that matters.


You clearly never watch Arod play the game. People mistake not performing under pressure as not playing with intensity. Anyone who has watched Arod play, particularly with the Yankees, realizes his biggest issue is that he plays with TOO much intensity. He tries to always make the perfect play, particularly in the big spots (and it more than often gets him in trouble in the field and at the plate). He is incredibly intense and I think that is what gets him in trouble in pressure spots. He puts too much pressure on himself to be the man. I think the main difference between his intensity and Jeter's is defined by one factor - Jeter has won before, Arod has not. Jeter doesn't have the pressure on him that Arod has. He doesn't have the contract, he has a track record for being a winner unlike Arod and you can see the difference this causes just in how they play the game. Jeter plays with tons of intensity, but you'll always see him out there having fun. He enjoys the game. Arod plays with that same intensity, but the smiles are few and far between in comparison to Jeter. I think if Arod could ever win a title, we'd see a much looser player the year following, and who knows what types of numbers he could put up. I don't think he enjoys playing the game right now and it shows in his play. When he took that contract, he not only took the money, he took all the pressue that comes with it. Until he wins, he'll feel that pressure and no one will feel sorry for him because of the $$$$ he's getting.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 587
Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed May 25, 2005 6:04 pm

Wow, i wonder what Pujols would do with a Shrink. 8-o

btw, ACS great avator. Who is that?
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion
Posts: 7189
Joined: 11 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Golfing

Postby jellyroll » Wed May 25, 2005 6:14 pm

kingctb27 wrote:Wow, i wonder what Pujols would do with a Shrink. 8-o


probably talk about how much less he is making than A rod.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 527
Joined: 6 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: West Indies

Postby This is the year » Wed May 25, 2005 6:18 pm

Good for A-Rod

I hate the guy as much as the next Red Sox fan, but if his occupation is compromising his mental health, it's good that he's found some treatment. I don't care how much money he makes, his job is clearly more stressful than that of the average person.


That being said, I'm looking forward to his 0-14 w/ 9Ks weekend against the Sox ;-D
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 700
Joined: 9 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 4Pack » Wed May 25, 2005 7:56 pm

donny23 wrote:
4Pack wrote:
mkultra wrote:Yeah, he's got the general pressure of being the highest-paid (by far) player in the game, and all the scrutiny and expectations that come along with that. Then, factor in the New York press and fans, which can be brutal in their treatment of players (I'm lookin' at you, Vaz). I'm not at all surprised by this. In fact, I'd be floored if he weren't in therapy.



Yeah....I can only wish I had that kind of pressure. I might have a breakdown not knowing if my next $5,000,000 check was deposited in my account on time. For that kind of money...I think I could deal with the expectations placed upon me. If I don't meet the New York expectations...too fricken bad...just make sure my money is in the account. Arod is no different than 90% of the pro athletes. The money is all that matters.


You clearly never watch Arod play the game. People mistake not performing under pressure as not playing with intensity. Anyone who has watched Arod play, particularly with the Yankees, realizes his biggest issue is that he plays with TOO much intensity. He tries to always make the perfect play, particularly in the big spots (and it more than often gets him in trouble in the field and at the plate). He is incredibly intense and I think that is what gets him in trouble in pressure spots. He puts too much pressure on himself to be the man. I think the main difference between his intensity and Jeter's is defined by one factor - Jeter has won before, Arod has not. Jeter doesn't have the pressure on him that Arod has. He doesn't have the contract, he has a track record for being a winner unlike Arod and you can see the difference this causes just in how they play the game. Jeter plays with tons of intensity, but you'll always see him out there having fun. He enjoys the game. Arod plays with that same intensity, but the smiles are few and far between in comparison to Jeter. I think if Arod could ever win a title, we'd see a much looser player the year following, and who knows what types of numbers he could put up. I don't think he enjoys playing the game right now and it shows in his play. When he took that contract, he not only took the money, he took all the pressue that comes with it. Until he wins, he'll feel that pressure and no one will feel sorry for him because of the $$$$ he's getting.


I am looking back at my posts and can't seem to find where I said he does not play with intensity or perform under pressure. Will you locate it for me because I can't find it and certainly do not recall saying that.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 828
Joined: 14 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wisconsin

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: oscar15 and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Pittsburgh at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Houston at Texas
(8:05 pm)

Sunday, Aug. 31

Cleveland at Cody
(8:07 pm)
indoors

Monday, Sep. 22

Arizona at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Colorado at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact