Where can I improve? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Where can I improve?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where can I improve?

Postby northjersey78 » Wed May 25, 2005 9:32 am

Currently tied for 1st in a 12 team, H2H Yahoo keeper league.

This is usually the time of year to make or break a team. Make that big trade for the underachieveing all-star or finally dump the hot hitter. Any suggestions on where I can improve?

C A. Pierzynski (CWS - C)
1B J. Morneau (Min - 1B)
2B C. Barmes (Col - 2B,SS)
3B Á. Rodríguez (NYY - 3B)
SS M. Young (Tex - SS)
OF C. Crawford (TB - OF)
OF B. Giles (SD - OF)
OF J. Damon (Bos - OF)
Util H. Blalock (Tex - 3B)
BN Lu. González (Ari - OF)

SP R. Clemens (Hou - SP)
SP R. Oswalt (Hou - SP)
RP B. Lidge (Hou - RP)
RP T. Hoffman (SD - RP)
P B. Ryan (Bal - RP)
P J. Mesa (Pit - RP)
BN M. Buehrle (CWS - SP)
BN J. Marquis (StL - SP)
BN B. Zito (Oak - SP)
BN B. Radke (Min - SP)

I picked up Barmes off of waivers and he has obviously been great so far but he is one of my "sell high" candidates. I don't expect him to keep up this insane pace as a rookie even if he does play at Coors field. Bret Boone is currently on waivers - I could probably package Barmes and someone else for a huge upgrade somewhre and then plug in Boone who I expect to produce decent numbers in the long run.

Clemens apparently pulled a groin yesterday but it's not serious. I like Clemens and Oswalt but it has become apparent that their offense is o awful thatit's going to cost them a lot of wins, even if they dioi post good ERAs and Ks. I'm thinking it may be worth it to case in one of those guys for a pitcher who will produce more wins. More than likely that would be Clemens since this is a keep league and Oswalt will be a stud for years.

Lidge is also being hurt by the Astros horrid offense, and he hasn't produced like I had hoped when I drafted him in the 5th round.

Crawford and Michael Young also appear to be underachieveing, although I expect both to rebound for a solid year.

I've lucked out with Buerhle and Marquis who are both playing better than expected. I also managed to grab Brian Giles off of the waiver wire before he blew up.

So any thoughts on th direction I should take to stay at the top? I think packaging Barmes could be my first step, and I MAY look to ddeal Clemens or Oswalt if the price is right.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?
http://www.newyorksportstown.com

Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Devils, Isanders, Knicks, Nets, Rutgers
northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby garretterik » Wed May 25, 2005 3:27 pm

Honestly I wouldn't touch that offense. You are pretty stacked. You are right you do have reason to worry about wins with Clemens and Oswalt as your studs. If you can get top dollar for Clemens and Barmes then do it - but it would have to be a top 10 pitcher. (Barmes may be worth hanging onto in a keeper league. Let's see how the rookie does.)
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 636#976636
garretterik Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby northjersey78 » Wed May 25, 2005 3:49 pm

garretterik wrote:Honestly I wouldn't touch that offense. You are pretty stacked. You are right you do have reason to worry about wins with Clemens and Oswalt as your studs. If you can get top dollar for Clemens and Barmes then do it - but it would have to be a top 10 pitcher. (Barmes may be worth hanging onto in a keeper league. Let's see how the rookie does.)
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 636#976636

I do like my offense. I just made a trade offer of Barmes, Brian Giles and Jose Mesa for Manny Ramirez and Mariano Rivera. Mesa had 43 saves last year but he's old, creaky and they have another closer waiting in the wings. Giles is nice but I got him off waivers a few weeks ago. I guess it may be worth considering keeping Barmes - but I just don't know if I can expect him to keep up this pace. I figure if this guys bites I'll deal with it - 2 guys I picked up of FA and my 2nd to last round pick for 2 studs in Ramirez and Rivera. Ramirez isn't posting his usual sick numbers so far this year so I'm hoping that owner is impatient and will pull the trigger.

I'm torn with Clemens. Even if his win total won't be what it should, he still posts an incredible ERA, WHIP and gets a ton of Ks. And there is a chance he could end up in the Bronx by July if the Astros are totally out of the race. If that happens, I epect the wins to go up. But he is old, and even though he is pitching great now - he could be on the DL at the drop of a hat. Might be worth looking into a younger pitcher or packaging him to get an upper tier guy.

northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LooseCannon » Wed May 25, 2005 5:14 pm

great team is all I can say. Shortstop might be a little weak.

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby northjersey78 » Thu May 26, 2005 11:05 pm

The trade I proposed was turned down. I countered with Barmes and Giles for Manny Ramirez. I am hoping he'll bite because Manny's average is so low and this guy is in last place so maybe he will go for quantity over quality.

northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RJCarrot » Thu May 26, 2005 11:06 pm

Having that many astros pitchers scares me. I would try and make some lateral moves for equal valued pitchers on diff teams.
RJCarrot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: In a clock tower w/ a high powered rifle in clear view of David Bell in the batters box.

Postby fastek24 » Thu May 26, 2005 11:20 pm

i wish i had your team. i would shore up catcher and is mesa still alive?
fastek24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby northjersey78 » Thu May 26, 2005 11:22 pm

RJCarrot wrote:Having that many astros pitchers scares me. I would try and make some lateral moves for equal valued pitchers on diff teams.

Yeah, I'm looking into a package deal with Clemens. It's a keeper league, so I don't want to deal Oswalt.

northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby northjersey78 » Thu May 26, 2005 11:28 pm

I just proposed Clemens and Mesa for Mulder and Gagne.

OK, so that's wishful thinking...but maybe I'll get lucky and they will go for it. If notm, I'm trying Clemens for Mulder straight up.

I also offered Barmes and Giles for Alfonso Soriano - and that owner is a bit of a dope so maybe they will bite.

northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team