Real life possible Brewers trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Real life possible Brewers trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed May 25, 2005 2:07 am

GSes wrote:
reznorsboy wrote:I can't see The Brewers parting with Overbay but who knows.

lol i think any general manager in the world would give up Roy Oswalt for Lyle Overbay

Oswalt is a legitimate #1 ACE. Overbay is not much more then a solid First Basemen.

and HOU would not give up Oswalt for overbay, and im sure MIL would love to do it.

brew crew would part with lyle, he isnt that great.

Are you watching the same Lyle Overbay that the rest of us are watching? Because I don't pass off a guy with a 1.000+ OPS and a 0.71 K/BB ratio as "isn't that great." I think he is a great player, although he does not fit the traditional "masher" characteristic of an elite first baseman. He's also becoming a bigtime fan favorite, which would make it even harder to part with him.

However, I do agree that the 'Stros wouldn't/shouldn't part with Oswalt for Overbay/Spivey. Would you trade Oswalt for Richie Sexson? I wouldn't, and the D'Backs had to deal Overbay, Spivey, Chris Capuano, Jorge de la Rosa, Craig Counsell, and Chad Moeller just to get Richie. However, they would have to be at least somewhat intrigued by a package involving Prince Fielder, who could end up being one of the game's elite sluggers 5-10 years from now.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daullaz » Wed May 25, 2005 3:43 am

They HAVE to part with Overbay. Either that or move back to the AL so they can play both Lyle and Fielder.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 116)

Postby nuggets » Wed May 25, 2005 3:59 am

Scooter1027 wrote:
GSes wrote:

lol i think any general manager in the world would give up Roy Oswalt for Lyle Overbay

Oswalt is a legitimate #1 ACE. Overbay is not much more then a solid First Basemen.

and HOU would not give up Oswalt for overbay, and im sure MIL would love to do it.

brew crew would part with lyle, he isnt that great.

Are you watching the same Lyle Overbay that the rest of us are watching? Because I don't pass off a guy with a 1.000+ OPS and a 0.71 K/BB ratio as "isn't that great." I think he is a great player, although he does not fit the traditional "masher" characteristic of an elite first baseman. He's also becoming a bigtime fan favorite, which would make it even harder to part with him.

However, I do agree that the 'Stros wouldn't/shouldn't part with Oswalt for Overbay/Spivey. Would you trade Oswalt for Richie Sexson? I wouldn't, and the D'Backs had to deal Overbay, Spivey, Chris Capuano, Jorge de la Rosa, Craig Counsell, and Chad Moeller just to get Richie. However, they would have to be at least somewhat intrigued by a package involving Prince Fielder, who could end up being one of the game's elite sluggers 5-10 years from now.

but what if all those great #s drop like they did last year? It's a pretty steady decline.

Looking at his minors numbers it's hard to believe that at the age of 28 he can develope into a 1.000+ OPS guy.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Shock6822 » Wed May 25, 2005 5:16 am

I can...room for Fielder
Shock6822
College Coach
College Coach

Postby 4Pack » Wed May 25, 2005 6:53 am

Prince Fielder is not going anywhere. It has been pretty much a given that Overbay will not be a Brewer when Prince makes it to the bigs. That time is rapidly approaching...so as a Brewer fan I fully expect Overbay to be traded this season.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed May 25, 2005 8:16 am

4Pack wrote:Prince Fielder is not going anywhere. It has been pretty much a given that Overbay will not be a Brewer when Prince makes it to the bigs. That time is rapidly approaching...so as a Brewer fan I fully expect Overbay to be traded this season.

Agree - while I think this rumor is just that, Fielder is at AAA and will likely force a trade of Overbay at some point. However, Fielder is also hitting about .250 with a slugging around .400 - he doesn't seem ready now. And a trade for a pitcher would seem the most likely.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Danimal » Wed May 25, 2005 10:57 am

I was hoping to hear something more solid. I don't see the stros doing that trade at all.
Rickie Weeks is doing well in the minors. I imagine he'll get the call before Fielder. As a result, I do expect Spivy to hit the highway soon.
And BTW, it is interesting how many Brewer fans I find in this forum. I guess, when you root for the Brewers, Fantasy Baseball becomes a little more exciting...
;-D
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed May 25, 2005 11:22 am

nuggets wrote: but what if all those great #s drop like they did last year? It's a pretty steady decline.

Looking at his minors numbers it's hard to believe that at the age of 28 he can develope into a 1.000+ OPS guy.

Oh, I know, I don't expect him to actually finish with an OPS that high, although his decline last year can be attributed in part to an overall team free fall that I'm sure killed morale/motivation etc. But something to note this year relative to last year is a K/BB ratio that is leaps and bounds better than last year. It is significantly better at this point. If that continues, I don't think you're going to see the same decline.

4Pack wrote: Prince Fielder is not going anywhere. It has been pretty much a given that Overbay will not be a Brewer when Prince makes it to the bigs. That time is rapidly approaching...so as a Brewer fan I fully expect Overbay to be traded this season.

This season? No, I don't think so. Prince is still very young for his league and it has shown. He is not ripping the cover off the ball like Weeks. If anything, I could see Overbay being traded either this offseason or after next season. Also interesting to note, on the Jim Rome show, Overbay said he was very open to moving to the outfield. He played there in college and some in the minors, but I don't know if he can still hack it there or not. For a team like the Brewers, it might be worth the below average defense to have the double machine in the lineup.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby stumpak » Wed May 25, 2005 1:15 pm

I have read (sporting news I think) that the Brewers are reconsidering their obvious plans to trade Overbay and are considering that they may move Fielder instead. Whatever the case, one of them is likely gone by April 2006, unless Prince continues to struggle at AAA all year.

Because of Weeks, I Spivey will be gone as well.

I agree the Oswalt deal sounds like a fantasy of the Brewers front office.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigMusky » Wed May 25, 2005 1:18 pm

The biggest mistake the Brewers could make would be trade their minor league studs to try and make a run for the playoffs now.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers