Another look at DIPS (article) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Another look at DIPS (article)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jjigglers » Tue May 24, 2005 7:08 pm

nuggets wrote:
jjigglers wrote:I'm all for including it as a stat in fantasy instead of ERA.

No. Just think of applying that pricipal to other positions. And the sinkerball/knuckleball aspect. What a mess. Great for a private league but a mess for a standardization across the board.

Not really saying it should be a standard, but more that in offshoot "realistic" leagues (i.e. the ones that use OBP instead of AVG) DIPS would better judge a player's effectiveness. Kind of like replacing wins with quality starts, etc.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Tue May 24, 2005 7:10 pm

jjigglers wrote:Not really saying it should be a standard, but more that in offshoot "realistic" leagues (i.e. the ones that use OBP instead of AVG) DIPS would better judge a player's effectiveness. Kind of like replacing wins with quality starts, etc.

That would be cool.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Tue May 24, 2005 7:23 pm

RJCarrot wrote:This is exactly what happens when you break down a physical game like baseball into a statistical game of fantasy baseball.

Some dork goes and turns it into a formula...

My brain hurts, what ever happened to grunting and saying "my pitcher done throwed good."

Baseball is a statistical game. If you wanna talk about batting average and home runs, then you should talk about the rest of the stats. Just because they are harder to understand doesn't mean they aren't relevant.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 24, 2005 8:59 pm

DIPS is a great tool for fantasy baseball. It's not always perfect but it really helps finding the underachievers.

I also get a kick out of people who visit a fantasy baseball forum and then bash some aspect of statistics or call people dorks or statheads. Too funny. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bd3521 » Tue May 24, 2005 9:01 pm

We should have more stat heads around here and geeks. Amazing what some numbers can tell you.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mamorris » Tue May 24, 2005 9:24 pm

RJCarrot wrote:This is exactly what happens when you break down a physical game like baseball into a statistical game of fantasy baseball.

Some dork goes and turns it into a formula...

My brain hurts, what ever happened to grunting and saying "my pitcher done throwed good."

The thing is, though, this has little to do with fantasy baseball. The Hardball Times is mostly concerned with looking at players' real-life value in a different (more statistical) way. It has application to fantasy baseball as well, but I'd be surprised if GM's don't look at this sort of stuff, especially the stat-based guys like Beane, DePodesta, Ricciardi and Epstein.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Krunk City King$ » Tue May 24, 2005 9:47 pm

the graphics look like a galaxy that i saw in star wars.....

;-D

:-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nuggets » Wed May 25, 2005 2:33 am

bd3521 wrote:We should have more stat heads around here and geeks. Amazing what some numbers can tell you.

Yes, but without perspective and real life experience and basically knowing the game people tend to get lost in the muddle of complicated equations and comparisons.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Wed May 25, 2005 3:32 am

[quote="Krunk City King$"]the graphics look like a galaxy that i saw in star wars.....

;-D

Speaking of "Star Wars", that's what I thought this thread was about...DIPS...the people that stood in line for like hours or days to be at the premiere. I had no idea we were talking baseball here.
Last edited by thehat on Wed May 25, 2005 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby RAmst23 » Wed May 25, 2005 3:32 am

I really dislike it when people say "well if you disagree with this, you just aren't smart enough to understand it". The basics of this article weren't complicated, and bashing someone who doesn't like or use DIPS is snobbish.

DIPS is a great stat, but it needs to be taken for what it's worth, in that it isn't a fantasy stat. ERA is, and ERA is unpredictable. This argument just helps prove ERA is unpredictable, which doesn't paticularly help. Yes, I agree ERA isn't the best way to gauge a pitcher, but that's what is used in fantasy baseball. This article helps because it helps us predict who can possibly have a productive next year, but doesn't promise anything. Good read though, thanks for the post!
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers