Thoughts on Troy Glaus? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Troy Glaus?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Troy Glaus?

Postby warrick95 » Tue May 24, 2005 1:33 pm

What's the consensus on Glaus here and where he'll end up finishing among the 3B? We all know this about Glaus:
a. He has insane power...in that park, 40-50 HRs is a good mark as long as he's healthy.
b. His average won't help, but his power makes up for it. Very similar player to Adam Dunn.
c. He is an injury risk.

Now, what do y'all think Glaus will end at? Is .260-46-110-95 R a reasonable expectation? Throw in about 5-10 or so SBs (he already has three)?

I'm considering trading him, but am finding a hard time figuring out how to value him. He could legitimately finish near the top-5 3B, especially with Beltre's scuffles, Chipper's injuries, etc. The player I was working on acquiring was Eric Chavez, but now I'm not so certain that he'll outproduce Glaus.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Tue May 24, 2005 1:40 pm

I have never been a Glaus fan, but I too am considering trading for him due to desperation at 3B. I tend to agree with "B".
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AT » Tue May 24, 2005 1:46 pm

I own him in almost every league I'm in and have since the drafts. He was simply a top 5 bargain before the season started based on the depth charts that people were putting together at 3B. I got him between rounds 8 and 11 in every draft 9 teams - 12 teams. Needless to say I'm thrilled. I recently dropped Wright since Glaus was producing so well and I'm kicking myself because Glaus is slumping. I think those .265 40 100 95 projections are dead on and I think the only thing you should have is a solid backup because he is streaky and an injury risk. Thus far I think he's been my favorite fantasy player because of where I projected him and where I drafted him compared to the other 3B bust starts.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigMusky » Tue May 24, 2005 1:46 pm

Glauss is cool as long as you keep a backup 3B floating around and that you dont have too many free swingers on your team. We are far enough into the season now that he is a ticking time bomb ready to hit the DL :-D
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby warrick95 » Tue May 24, 2005 1:50 pm

Well, the team is:
C Mauer
1B Hafner
2B Soriano
3B Glaus
SS Furcal
OF Abreu
OF Wells
OF Nixon
Util Sweeney
Util Floyd
P. Wilson and Hidalgo on the bench...

There are free swingers for sure, but there are a couple of .300 hitters that should help make up the difference a little. Soriano's an interesting case, because even though he free swings, he'll hit .290+. I'm just debating whether or not to package Glaus with a superfluous closer fo Chavez. That's for another forum though.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AT » Tue May 24, 2005 1:50 pm

BigMusky wrote:Glauss is cool as long as you keep a backup 3B floating around and that you dont have too many free swingers on your team. We are far enough into the season now that he is a ticking time bomb ready to hit the DL :-D

Dead on accurate. That's the reason why I'm so pissed I dropped Wright. What a brain fart by me.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Carey Saders » Tue May 24, 2005 2:13 pm

I traded Glaus for Bartolo Colon after I traded Utley for Wright. I'm in a keeper league so I'm very excited. Anyway, Glaus couldn't land me a top SP like Oswalt so I went down a notch and got Colon.
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dannahann » Tue May 24, 2005 3:37 pm

Just a heads up here. I see a bunch of DBack's baseball and Glaus has been noticably limping (appears to be a hip?) any time he goes all out on the bases. If Glaus stays healthy thpo the upside is big. He could easily lead the NL in HR this season. Without Bonds this season I think Glaus n Dunn have to be considered as the favs.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Return to Baseball Leftovers