Participators in the Bernero/ Wagner fiascos: now what? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Participators in the Bernero/ Wagner fiascos: now what?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Participators in the Bernero/ Wagner fiascos: now what?

Postby Simulacrum » Tue May 24, 2005 12:05 pm

I'm sure more than just a few of us scooped up Bernero when we were told he was going to be closing games in Atlanta. Two eighth inning appearances and one Kolb save later, it looks like he's not going to be closing games there.

Right?? :-?

So if you're like me, you dropped him for Ryan Wagner, who we were told was going to be closing games for Cinci now that Graves has been demoted. Weathers comes in for the save last night and this morning Yahoo posts this blurb-

May 24 Just a day after the demotion of former closer Danny Graves, the Reds bullpen picture became a little less confusing, but no less cloudy. That's because 14-year veteran David Weathers struck out two in a scoreless ninth inning to earn his first save of the season, and 15th of his career.

Views: If he already wasn't on the hit list of many fantasy owners, Reds manager Dave Miley will be now after claiming the Reds won't have a primary closer and will simply look at matchups and use the entire bullpen as the situation dictates. That means Weathers along with Ryan Wagner, Matt Belisle, and Kent Mercker, to name a few, would be "possible" candidates for saves. On behalf of fantasy owners everywhere, we just lost our breakfast.

If we are to believe this is true then Wagner has very little value on a fantasy team. Right?? :-?

So what are you Bernero/ Wagner owners going to do now? I for one am ready to drop Wagner and pick up Street or Walker or Todd or Urbina but I'd like to hear what everyone else who got burned is planning. Is anyone actually going to hold onto Bernero or Wagner? Personally I'm itching to move on to greener pastures.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nikku88 » Tue May 24, 2005 12:07 pm

I don' trust managers to use the committee closer cause as soon as anyone blows a save, the media asks all sorts of questions and the managers becomes another sheep and goes back to the way everyone does it to avoid criticism
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby djack909 » Tue May 24, 2005 12:21 pm

I droped Bernero and picked up Fuentes. I held on to Ryan Wagner. Wagner had pitched the previous days, so Weathers closed last night. It looks like the Braves will go with CBC.
Last edited by djack909 on Tue May 24, 2005 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stumpak » Tue May 24, 2005 12:21 pm

If I had my druthers I would want Wagner, but I don't and I am stuck with Bernero. I am going to holdon to him for a few days and see how things pan out, but last night was not encouraging.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 24, 2005 12:25 pm

i went to grab Wagner but he was taken...I have bernero and hes been nothing..so I'm just gonna sit back and drink a beer
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby AT » Tue May 24, 2005 12:40 pm

acsguitar wrote:i went to grab Wagner but he was taken...I have bernero and hes been nothing..so I'm just gonna sit back and drink a beer

Sounds like a good idea to me ;-D

Anyway, I watched that Atlanta fiasco last night against the Mets and I'm done with Bernero. Too much chaos right now to be pinning my hopes on him. I'm keeping Ryan Wagner because I think he's the longterm plan and has the most reward. Now I'm pissed because I think Dumpster is going to be closing in Chicago. Borowski has turned out to be a complete waste. :-t
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigMusky » Tue May 24, 2005 12:42 pm

I dropped Beureno for Wagner. Seems like a better situation. I dont think anyone really believe Kolb would be middle relief the rest of the year.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Tue May 24, 2005 3:05 pm

Wagner is going to end up closing.

Think about it... when was the last time a CBC situation lasted an entire season? It's common for four of five guys to share the job over the season, but usually it's because one keeps replacing the other as the full-time guy. A true CBC, where anyone could close on any night, is usually very short-lived.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Tue May 24, 2005 3:08 pm

In the gane last night the Braves announcers said that Bernero would have worked the 9th also, but he pitched himself out of that.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby EricF » Tue May 24, 2005 3:15 pm

I've got Borowski, Wagner, and Bernero, and I'll probably be dropping one when Kelvim Escobar comes off the DL. (I also have Billy Wagner and Turnbow.) Here are my thoughts... tell me if I'm wrong.

1. Wagner - Keep. His value soared with the Graves drop, and despite Weathers' 1-2-3 9th last night, Wagner is the man for the rest of the year (Wagner had pitched the previous 3 games before last night).

2. Borowski - Probably keep. Dempster has been told he's the closer for the rest of the season, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. I still think Borowski is headed for the closer role because of past success, but they're holding him back for now due to his earlier injury.

3. Bernero - Probably drop. He has pitched well all season, but somehow the Braves seem hesitant to use him in the 9th. He didn't help matters with his rough 8th last night.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers