Interesting trade rumors here in Chicago!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Interesting trade rumors here in Chicago!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Laean » Tue May 24, 2005 9:31 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:The Pirates would probably take Patterson in return to become the new leadoff hitter in Pittsburgh

eh ... that's not good for me then.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikegp » Tue May 24, 2005 11:13 pm

Laean wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:The Pirates would probably take Patterson in return to become the new leadoff hitter in Pittsburgh

eh ... that's not good for me then.

Or me!
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby reznorsboy » Tue May 24, 2005 11:23 pm

I can't see the Cubs trading away Corey Patterson!! He has too much talent. Hitting aside a good defensive CF is very valuable and hard to find. Patterson has good speed and a good arm which is rare
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JGreer » Tue May 24, 2005 11:48 pm

reznorsboy wrote:I can't see the Cubs trading away Corey Patterson!! He has too much talent. Hitting aside a good defensive CF is very valuable and hard to find. Patterson has good speed and a good arm which is rare

What player have you been watching? He is a marginal defensive player at best. Did you not see the ball he dropped on Saturday that cost the cubs the game against the White Sox? Why is he always playing so deep if he's such a great defensive center fielder? Obviously, he has trouble going back on balls hit in the gaps. His arm is pretty strong for a guy his size, but he is not very accurate, and I can think of many times that he has thrown to the wrong base or missed a cutoff man. Great speed alone does not a center fielder make. Do yourself a favor.........watch Torii Hunter, Jim Edmonds, Aaron Rowand, or Andruw Jones play center for a few games........it will be a learning experience for you.
JGreer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Laean » Wed May 25, 2005 12:29 am

so did this trade rumor just fizzle out or something? i thought possible developments were coming at the end of the day or whtaever.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Wed May 25, 2005 2:14 am

Ha you gotta be joking. Patterson has Beltran like potentials.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Wed May 25, 2005 2:16 am

JGreer wrote:
reznorsboy wrote:I can't see the Cubs trading away Corey Patterson!! He has too much talent. Hitting aside a good defensive CF is very valuable and hard to find. Patterson has good speed and a good arm which is rare

What player have you been watching? He is a marginal defensive player at best. Did you not see the ball he dropped on Saturday that cost the cubs the game against the White Sox? Why is he always playing so deep if he's such a great defensive center fielder? Obviously, he has trouble going back on balls hit in the gaps. His arm is pretty strong for a guy his size, but he is not very accurate, and I can think of many times that he has thrown to the wrong base or missed a cutoff man. Great speed alone does not a center fielder make. Do yourself a favor.........watch Torii Hunter, Jim Edmonds, Aaron Rowand, or Andruw Jones play center for a few games........it will be a learning experience for you.

In two years you are going to have a lot of trouble removing your foot from your mouth JG. The guy still has yet to reach anywhere near full potential.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed May 25, 2005 2:19 am

JGreer wrote:

I agree with all of this, especially the speed not making a CF comment. I know that from watching Scotty Po in center for the Brewers last year. He was awful going back on the ball and had a bad arm. Patterson's the same way, in my opinion. He may have good potential at the plate, but he has two major knocks against him. First, he's a free swinger with little to no plate discipline. Second, the aforementioned defensive problems.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed May 25, 2005 8:35 am

nuggets wrote:
JGreer wrote:

In two years you are going to have a lot of trouble removing your foot from your mouth JG. The guy still has yet to reach anywhere near full potential.

At what point does potential become reality? I've heard for 8 years how great Andruw Jones was going to become. Hasn't happened yet. Not saying it never will, but at some point performance has to meet those expectations.

As with Jones, Patterson has never shown any growth in his skills. Every once in a while, there are some signs he's getting better - only to regress. You may be right in two years - but until then, please excuse me if I don't share your optomism.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby RugbyD » Wed May 25, 2005 9:41 am

nuggets wrote:
JGreer wrote:

i disagree with sentence one and agree with sentence 2. if you've followed patterson since he's been drafted watching what he's done and what he's said, it's clear that his issue is entirely one of attitude and mental openness. he has made minimal progress in 7 years of professional experience. not good, let someone else deal with it.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers