Ideas needed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Ideas needed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ideas needed

Postby so0perspam » Mon May 23, 2005 11:47 pm

KEEP POLITICS OUT PLEASE!

I have to write up an essay on this subject, and was wondering what ya'll thought. Here's the question:

International terrorism is a threat to world peace. What do you think is the best way to fight a "war on terror"? Is your proposal closest to a militant, pacifist, or just-war response? In addition to your proposal on fighting terrorism, your essay must include the following:
1) A definition of terrorism.
2) Evidence of your grasp of militarism, pacifism, and just-war theory.
3) A discussion of the comparative advantages and disadvantages of each of the approaches listed in 2.

Again, please no references to the Bush administration or to politics in general .... I need some ideas and don't want this thread to get locked. Thanks!
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Tue May 24, 2005 12:34 am

This is a highly political subject, so it's going to be difficult.

My opinion:
The use of military force is absolutely necessary. These are not people that can be reasoned with, that can be "convinced" that they are wrong in their beliefs. Diplomacy is absolutely impossible with these people and words will do nothing to dissuade them from attacking America.

The only option is military force to prove that we are not scared of them, to put them on the run; when they have to worry about their lives and they must be constantly on the run, it is much harder for them to make plans for future strikes. They must be stopped before they can murder more people and hunting them down is the only way to stop them.

Disadvantages: Loss of lives in the military combating the terrorists and their supporters. This is however the only option that provides for an end to the current group of terrorists and will save the lives of countless civilians.

Pacifism is always desired, but it cannot work with terrorists. Pacifism will only allow the terrorists to continue to operate and the end result may be another incident like September 11th, 2001.

The rest of the paper you can write yourself ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Nomar4prez » Tue May 24, 2005 12:45 am

I agree with Blankman, and would add that in order to effectively combat terrorism on a worldwide scale, we need worldwide support. Everyone needs to keep their backyards clean.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Tue May 24, 2005 2:38 am

Well, first of all you have to define "war". Is what we're doing right now a "war"? Not in my definition. "War" is the total and complete destruction of the enemy without regard for anyone or anything that stands in the way. When Japan attacked Pearl Harbor and we dropped two bombs on their two biggest cities, that was "war". What we're doing right now is by no means a "war". It's more of a policing action, or a strategic military manuever, than it is a "war" in my eyes.

With that said, are you doing a paper on "the war against terrorism" or just the "military act to stop terrorism"? :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby davidmarver » Tue May 24, 2005 2:49 am

Madison wrote:we dropped two bombs on their two biggest cities, that was "war".

Just wanted to point out that Hiroshima and Nagasaki weren't Japan's two biggest cities. Weather as well as from a strategical aspect kept us from bombing the bigger cities. Nagasaki and Hiroshima were like 4 and 5 in population.

But as far as your essay is concerned, just be sure to make your opinion a compromise between the three choices and to make sure everything is logical. If I start stating specifics I'll get political real quickly. We don't want that.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue May 24, 2005 2:56 am

davidmarver wrote:
Madison wrote:we dropped two bombs on their two biggest cities, that was "war".

Just wanted to point out that Hiroshima and Nagasaki weren't Japan's two biggest cities. Weather as well as from a strategical aspect kept us from bombing the bigger cities. Nagasaki and Hiroshima were like 4 and 5 in population.

Both were quite big, and gets the point of "war" across, but I thought they were the two biggest. I'll take your word for it that I'm wrong though, but not real sure why that was stuck in my head that they were. :-? Must be getting stupid in my old age. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby davidmarver » Tue May 24, 2005 3:06 am

Madison wrote:Both were quite big, and gets the point of "war" across, but I thought they were the two biggest. I'll take your word for it that I'm wrong though, but not real sure why that was stuck in my head that they were. :-? Must be getting stupid in my old age. :-b

They may have been the two biggest military cities. But as far as population, they aren't close to being the biggest. Either way, it's obvious there was definately a war going on.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 24, 2005 10:52 am

I think a good defense is the best offense
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BigMusky » Tue May 24, 2005 11:22 am

davidmarver wrote:
Madison wrote:Both were quite big, and gets the point of "war" across, but I thought they were the two biggest. I'll take your word for it that I'm wrong though, but not real sure why that was stuck in my head that they were. :-? Must be getting stupid in my old age. :-b

They may have been the two biggest military cities. But as far as population, they aren't close to being the biggest. Either way, it's obvious there was definately a war going on.

Ever hear of Tokyo ? What really happened was the US bombed one of them first. Japs didnt think we had another (really only had two bombs). So we dropped the second as proof that we had more then one. We then told them the next would be on Tokyo...which was a bluff, but ended the war. World War II is about the coolest thing in history to research because it was so intriguing and there is so much information still available.

About your subject. Look to what is happening in Israel for information on developing an arguement in respects to what the US is doing. They have been battling terrorist much longer then the US.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby catch22 » Tue May 24, 2005 11:28 am

Nomar4prez wrote:I agree with Blankman, and would add that in order to effectively combat terrorism on a worldwide scale, we need worldwide support. Everyone needs to keep their backyards clean.

To me this is one of the most important statements. "Worldwide Scale". Although we may be the most powerful country, we need help on a global scale to conquer this problem. In order to get that we will have to sale our beliefs, and thats the biggest obstacle.
catch22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk