R. Wagner or Street: Most Value Now - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

R. Wagner or Street: Most Value Now

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 23, 2005 11:44 pm

Then why not come out and pronounce him as the man?

CBC fails for 2 main reasons imo...1. the players involved may not be very good or can;t hack pressure and/or 2. the players involved do not know their roles and they all start to press knowing that 1 bad appearance and they will lose out to someone else.

Far better off going with a guy and seeing what he can do for good or bad.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CPHFighter1 » Mon May 23, 2005 11:59 pm

Amazinz wrote:
bronxxbomber wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I would say Street because the Reds seem to have zero confidence in Wagner. I'm also convinced that Dotel will be gone near the deadline.

Why do you think the Reds have zero confidence in the guy? He leads the majors in holds because they DO have confidence in him to preserve leads.

They obviously DON'T because if they did they would have brought him into a 5-3 game to close instead of Weathers.

The guy pitched three nights in a row. While I don't agree with your reasons, I agree with your point. The Reds haven't shown they are ready to hand it to him yet, and waited for Graves to completely make himself look silly before cutting him loose. Remember he cracked last year, and this year he seems to be prone to big innings where he gets blown up followed by long stretches of dominance. His behavior as well as the way the Reds are babying him tells me that he may be one of these great stuff, low confidence guys, a la LaTroy Hawkins. I don't know enough, this is speculation, but I'm pulling for the kid. I hope he steps into the role and gets the job done.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BobbyRoberto » Tue May 24, 2005 12:16 am

I'm glad to hear he just pitched 3 nights in a row. I've had him all year hoping he'd take over for Graves and wasn't too happy seeing David "Stormy" Weathers out there in the 9th today. I'm still hopeful Wagner becomes the closer there.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby davidmarver » Tue May 24, 2005 2:29 am

I'd say Street. It's hard to find someone arguing against Street having the closer job after the deadline. Now who would you rather have in your head-to-head playoffs? Street or Wagner?
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers