Bernero in agaist the Mets in the 8th? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bernero in agaist the Mets in the 8th?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 23, 2005 11:00 pm

First off, if Bernero is closing why is Cox bringing him in in the 8th? Shouldn't he have started with Reistma in the 8th? Not to dispute the wisdom of Cox and Mazzone, but this musical chairs nonsense is what led to problems in CHC. If Bernero is closing he should be given the job in the 9th and they should let him sink or swim. This committee nonsense makes everyone not know what their role is, puts everyone on edge trying to impress/not screw up and feeds this nonsense.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon May 23, 2005 11:01 pm

Yeah but who will close for the Braves? Joge Sosa?
I mean, look at it. Bernero stunk it up tonight, and you can't trust his career. Kolb did get the save, but it's not like he got the job done real well either. Reitsma's been awful for at least the past 2 weeks, though tonight he did a good job of getting out of that jam. So I think ANYONE who even shows a glimmer of hope in that bullpen will get the job. In two words: STAY AWAY!!! }:-)
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 23, 2005 11:02 pm

I don't think we really know if they planned for Bernero to close. The media was assuming that but I don't think anyone in the Braves camp ever committed. It definitely sucks from a fantasy perspective.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gws226 » Mon May 23, 2005 11:03 pm

And Kolb gets the save!!! LMAO !
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RugbyD » Mon May 23, 2005 11:08 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:First off, if Bernero is closing why is Cox bringing him in in the 8th? Shouldn't he have started with Reistma in the 8th? Not to dispute the wisdom of Cox and Mazzone, but this musical chairs nonsense is what led to problems in CHC. If Bernero is closing he should be given the job in the 9th and they should let him sink or swim. This committee nonsense makes everyone not know what their role is, puts everyone on edge trying to impress/not screw up and feeds this nonsense.

who did he face? was it like the other game where he was sent up in the 8th to take on the heart of the order and reistma blew it in the 9th against the scrubs?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby thehat » Mon May 23, 2005 11:16 pm

Well, I'm outta here as far as this team's closer situation is concerned.

Likewise for the Cubs as Dempster's recent efforts are definitely going to make Du(mb)sty have to think (using that term very loosely) about what to do.

The Reds situation is now just as unclear although I just cannot comprehend why they just don't give it to Wagner (I know he was not available tonight, but these reports on Weathers getting the gig muddle the picture). I grabbed Wagner in two leagues and will hold him till the next save opp comes up and make a determination at that point.

And finally there's the A's. Is it Street or Duscherer till Dotel returns and is it necessarily Dotel when he does? I wouldn't chisel that in stone, either.

I'm even starting to wonder about the Florida save situation. Jones has been terrific, and given Mota's success in the past as an eighth inning guy, I would not be shocked if that situation gets a bit cloudy when Mota returns.

All in all, about the most puzzling closer scene I've ever seen.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 23, 2005 11:25 pm

I picked up Bernero and Kolb is available, but I think I'm staying away from the Braves mess until they find someone they can count on. I'm pretty sure Cox will be giving that group of 4 relievers a chance until he finds someone who can perform.
FantasyFreak
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 23, 2005 11:35 pm

Well let's analyze the closer mess right now:

Braves: Bernero, Kolb or Reitsma
Reds: Wagner or Weathers
Florida: Jones or Mota
A's: Street or Dotel
CHC: Dempster or Borowski
KC: who cares..Affeldt I suppose

12 relievers and 6 teams..eliminating the original closer from the mix as we will assume he is owned eliminates Kolb, Mota, Dotel and Affeldt and reduces the number to 8. You can't own them all unless you play in a ridiculously deep league.

12 spots for 6 closers. (5 and 1 pseudo KC closer).

Round and round she goes where she stops nowone knows...place your bets gentlement, the wheel is spinning.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 23, 2005 11:52 pm

Anyone know what the record is for the most closers to lose their job in a single season? We have to be getting close already and we have not hit the usual trade deadline turnover.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue May 24, 2005 2:58 am

Amazinz wrote:I don't think we really know if they planned for Bernero to close. The media was assuming that but I don't think anyone in the Braves camp ever committed.

Good observation, A ...
I hit the quick trigger for Bernero on that info, and in each of his appearances since this 'announcement' he's come in in the 8th. Forget all that noise about facing the heart of the order ... if you're gonna make a guy a closer, you give him the ball in the 9th. I'm cuttin'.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers