What if an OF snags a HR ball, but ends up over the fence? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What if an OF snags a HR ball, but ends up over the fence?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What if an OF snags a HR ball, but ends up over the fence?

Postby stratusfactionrt » Mon May 23, 2005 8:06 pm

For example, Gary Sheffield jumps up against the fence for a high fly ball in right field at Fenway Park. He makes the catch, but instead of landing on his feet on the field of play, he ends up on a couple of beers in the stands.

Is this a homerun or not?
stratusfactionrt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bd3521 » Mon May 23, 2005 8:07 pm

its an OUT
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby logan » Mon May 23, 2005 8:08 pm

as long as you maintain control of the ball its an out. wetehr your in the stands or not. see jeters catch last year(course that was foul territory but the same rule applies)
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Andy1234 » Mon May 23, 2005 8:08 pm

I would think its a out - I don't know for sure just basing it on balls that are caught when the fielder ends up in the stands in foul ground (thats an out - not a foul ball)
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby stratusfactionrt » Mon May 23, 2005 8:09 pm

logan wrote:as long as you maintain control of the ball its an out. wetehr your in the stands or not. see jeters catch last year.

That's what I thought, but was curious if it was different for a homerun ball vs. a foul ball.

Now... let's say the player ends up over a larger fence (not sure how...), but DO runners on base get to advance freely until the player can climb back onto the field of play and get the ball in, or is it ruled dead at all?
stratusfactionrt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 23, 2005 8:10 pm

Out.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby blankman » Mon May 23, 2005 8:13 pm

stratusfactionrt wrote:
logan wrote:as long as you maintain control of the ball its an out. wetehr your in the stands or not. see jeters catch last year.

That's what I thought, but was curious if it was different for a homerun ball vs. a foul ball.

Now... let's say the player ends up over a larger fence (not sure how...), but DO runners on base get to advance freely until the player can climb back onto the field of play and get the ball in, or is it ruled dead at all?

I'm sure normal tag-up rules would apply.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby logan » Mon May 23, 2005 8:20 pm

not sure if i ve ever seen anyone go over a fence. i have seen some go through one or two. but i would have to assume ,as blankman said, tag up rules and then advance. they also could impose some kind of ground rule thing perhaps. really not sure about that one.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby baseball6791 » Mon May 23, 2005 10:00 pm

"A CATCH is the act of a fielder in getting secure possession in his hand or glove of a ball in flight and firmly holding it; providing he does not use his cap, protector, pocket or any other part of his uniform in getting possession. It is not a catch, however, if simultaneously or immediately following his contact with the ball, he collides with a player, or with a wall, or if he falls down, and as a result of such collision or falling, drops the ball. It is not a catch if a fielder touches a fly ball which then hits a member of the offensive team or an umpire and then is caught by another defensive player. If the fielder has made the catch and drops the ball while in the act of making a throw following the catch, the ball shall be adjudged to have been caught. In establishing the validity of the catch, the fielder shall hold the ball long enough to prove that he has complete control of the ball and that his release of the ball is voluntary and intentional. A catch is legal if the ball is finally held by any fielder, even though juggled, or held by another fielder before it touches the ground. Runners may leave their bases the instant the first fielder touches the ball. A fielder may reach over a fence, railing, rope or other line of demarcation to make a catch. He may jump on top of a railing, or canvas that may be in foul ground. No interference should be allowed when a fielder reaches over a fence, railing, rope or into a stand to catch a ball. He does so at his own risk. If a fielder, attempting a catch at the edge of the dugout, is "held up" and kept from an apparent fall by a player or players of either team and the catch is made, it shall be allowed." MLB Rules Section 2

i guess that means that its an out and the runners can advance

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tavish » Tue May 24, 2005 12:49 am

baseball6791 wrote:"A CATCH is the act of a fielder in getting secure possession in his hand or glove of a ball in flight and firmly holding it; providing he does not use his cap, protector, pocket or any other part of his uniform in getting possession.

If a player catches a ball with his cup he deserves the out. :-o

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers