Need an immediate advice on Borowski - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need an immediate advice on Borowski

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need an immediate advice on Borowski

Postby inkognito » Mon May 23, 2005 7:23 pm

Do you think he is really gonna take over as Cubs' closer? He threw a scoreless inning Friday, but you can't tell much from just 1 IP. Yesterday, there actually was a save situation available, but Prior put up a complete game. But - while Prior was finishing his spectacular 3-homerun CG, it was only Dempster warming up in the bullpen and waiting for a potential SVO.

I need your opinions now. Do you think it would be a good move to drop Borowski and pick up Ryan W.?
inkognito
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need an immediate advice on Borowski

Postby jjigglers » Mon May 23, 2005 7:26 pm

inkognito wrote:Do you think it would be a good move to drop Borowski and pick up Ryan W.?

Wrong forum. For the record, I think it's a crapshoot.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 23, 2005 7:29 pm

No idea, but I took the same gamble in 2 leagues and rid myself of Percival in another. I am so destroyed with injuries I have not got a lot to lose and Percival was not worth wasting a spot on over Wagner.

As for Borowski, it is not like he is a sure thing..Wagner is more of one, but who knows. If you have no scrub to cut then cutting Borowski for Wagner is certainly a decent calculated risk. Like all gambles, it could blow up in your face. If my track record this season is any measure, they will both blow up or get hurt and it will not matter.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby inkognito » Mon May 23, 2005 7:37 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:As for Borowski, it is not like he is a sure thing..Wagner is more of one, but who knows. If you have no scrub to cut then cutting Borowski for Wagner is certainly a decent calculated risk. Like all gambles, it could blow up in your face. If my track record this season is any measure, they will both blow up or get hurt and it will not matter.

Thanks, I also think Wagner is a bit more certain thing than Borowski. Wagner is young, considered a big talent, he actually is also a good strikeout pitcher. Borowski is old, in fact posted just one good season in the majors, I think he also walks too many. Wagner's 3,91 only comes from two 4-ER blowouts. other from that he has been pretty solid.

Other thing is that Wagner has absolutely no competitors for the CL-job in the terrible bullpen of Cincinnati.
inkognito
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 23, 2005 7:54 pm

The injury history of Borowski also makes me think that Wagner is a safer bet. But who knows. I never would have guessed Lyon would survive for more than a week in the job and only got him in half my leagues where I had scrubs to cut. I am still kicking myself for that one.

With all the injuries, I have not got spare parts to cut in many of my leagues so I was forced to lose Percival in one (no brainer given the other DL guys I had) and to choose between Borowski and Wagner in 2 others where I had no one even remotely eligible to cut. Just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon May 23, 2005 9:30 pm

i think he will eventually get saves in chicago because i dont have any faith in dumpster. however, there is:
a) no guarantee he actually will take over for dumpster
b) no guarantee he will actually be effective if he does take over
c) no guarantee the cubs wont try to get someone else to close
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby stevethumb » Mon May 23, 2005 9:36 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i think he will eventually get saves in chicago because i dont have any faith in dumpster. however, there is:
well put, nugget ;-D
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby inkognito » Mon May 23, 2005 9:48 pm

Baker may show up his cards in a few minutes (suggesting that Rusch cannot pitch a CG).

Borowski or Dempster? !+)
inkognito
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AT » Mon May 23, 2005 10:10 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i think he will eventually get saves in chicago because i dont have any faith in dumpster. however, there is:

You're dead on and that's good stuff ;-D
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jimmyfunk » Mon May 23, 2005 10:11 pm

Dempster in to pitch the 9th
jimmyfunk
Softball Supervisor